Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

download slower than supposed..

• 29-12-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I have supposed 2Mb broadband according to eircoms own website.

but download speeds are only 50KB/s - they start at about 180 and then quickly shoot down to 50KB.

I know the difference between 3 megabits and 8 megabytes download.

any help or advice is appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How are You downloading?

Download this, pick the Irish mirror and tell us what speed You're getting after 2 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A lot will depend on what you're downloading, and where from. Do a speed test, and see what that tells you. If you're judging it from Torrents or some such, then that's not going to be a realistic test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Ok thats just odd.

maybe it was the website as i am getting 320KB a second ish now.

jor el wrote: »
    If you're judging it from Torrents or some such, then that's not going to be a realistic test.

will they be faster or slower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Depends totally on the number of seeders/leechers, a good torrent will max out but the majority of public torrents wont.

If your looking into a full speed connection for downloads, look into rapidshare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It depends entirely on the torrent, the seeders you are connected to and what their maximum upload speed as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You'd find it hard to max out your connection on a Torrent, so torrent speed is normally slower than actual. Since torrents also use the upload quite heavily, that can choke the download speed too. Make sure there are no P2P programs running when you do a speed test too.

well i dont usually use torrents - and im not just saying that i really dont.

i tried it once to get xubuntu and kubuntu and was way too slow - ended up applying for a boot cd to be sent to me.

was nearly as fast....:D

thanks everyone.

Advertisement