Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs on fire?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DJ Rue

Hey people, here's some comprehensive pics for you from last night:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=173764&id=510453063&ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Can you make them so you don't need a facebook account to see them?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stephen wrote: »
    Can you make them so you don't need a facebook account to see them?

agreedm this is why the likes of pix.ie and flick.com are great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Article on Kilkenny people's website Here. About 6 Photos but there pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Just been down to the scene and got to put a camera to a clear spot in the window. Total carnage.

http://www.twitpic.com/vv9j0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just been down to the scene and got to put a camera to a clear spot in the window. Total carnage.

Wow, it's pretty gutted so. I was just in there y'day lunch time. Weird....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

look's like supermac's will be out of buiness for while wonder will they look for new building or just rebuild, be nice to see them move and few nice shops in there instead,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

it looks pretty fecked alright, they won't be open for ATLEAST 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

TH0_30122009381%20Supermacs%207.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

mfitzy wrote: »
    Wow, it's pretty gutted so. I was just in there y'day lunch time. Weird....

You don't think there's a connection between the two events? :D

That was some fire - you wouldn't recognise anything from the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Well Well Well. It didnt look that bad last night but in the k people one of the articles talks about how the great fire of kilkenny burnt William street to the ground.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Let's hope that the Borough Council have the backbone to do the right thing and ensure that when Supermacs does come back it won't be in High Street. It was outrageous that they were given planning permission back in 1992 for a fast-food joint right opposite City Hall.

Purry Cat wrote: »
    Let's hope that the Borough Council have the backbone to do the right thing and ensure that when Supermacs does come back it won't be in High Street. It was outrageous that they were given planning permission back in 1992 for a fast-food joint right opposite City Hall.

Couldn't agree more, but what input could the Council have now? SM already own the site and have already run a fast food place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

i dont understand the problem some people on here have with fast food restaurants! if you dont put them in city centres - where are u meant to put them? plus for a decent one, ull need a fair amount of floorspace which very few units on high street have, thus the current location was ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Purry Cat wrote: »

Here Here! They should follow the good example of McDonalds and set up shop beside the nearest available primary school.

Better to have Supermacs in there than an empty retail unit. Though maybe Cheri Lee should move up the street and in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

Firetrap wrote: »
    Better to have Supermacs in there than an empty retail unit. Though maybe Cheri Lee should move up the street and in there.

Ann Summers anyone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Wow there's serious damage done to the place. My father was in town early enough this morning and saw the fire brigade were still there. The KK People article is absolutely trash journalism. He speaks of William St nearly burning to the ground and of "hundreds" of people evacuated. Are there really that many people living in the William St / Garden Row / Colliers Lane area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Nightwish wrote: »
    The KK People article is absolutely trash journalism. He speaks of William St nearly burning to the ground and of "hundreds" of people evacuated. Are there really that many people living in the William St / Garden Row / Colliers Lane area?

Agreed; "some of the firemen must be really tired after their exertions on behalf of the people of Kilkenny" sounds like something a child would write.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

gunner11 wrote: »
    Ann Summers anyone???

How about another Dunnes to compliment those going into the mall.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

gunner11 wrote: »
    i dont understand the problem some people on here have with fast food restaurants! if you dont put them in city centres - where are u meant to put them? plus for a decent one, ull need a fair amount of floorspace which very few units on high street have, thus the current location was ideal.

I have no problem with Fast food places. My problem is that it is in the centre of High St in an enormous unit opposite the Thosel, which lets face it is a fiarly prominant site, and the thing is fast food joints dont need to be in the very centre on a huge site they can work just as well on a small site. Also if it wasnt put there The Monster House wouldnt be burnt down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Couldn't agree more, but what input could the Council have now? SM already own the site and have already run a fast food place there.

Precedent: Wexford co co prevented the owners of a burnt down hotel at the bridge in ferrycarrig from rebuilding. They were granted permission to demolish but when they submitted to rebuild, were refused on road safety grounds. It was`rumoured at the time that it was an insurance jobby. not 100% on the details.

i'm sure kk city council would be in a similar poosition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Also if it wasnt put there The Monster House wouldnt be burnt down now.
    Damn straight, lets not change ANY premisis in town anymore in case it burns down 15 years later!

Look, I am all for progress and urbane urban enrichment, but I am sure that everyone will agree on one thing: Supermac's is a Mecca for scobes and degenerates (and alcohol enriched píssheads in the wee hours of the morning). It is a haven for the school dossers and scumbags, and it harbours the foulest cache of 'food' in the greater Kilkenny area.

A clause in their planning permission (if I remember correctly, and I am fully open to correction on this one) cited that they could not allow food to be sold for take-away, lest someone drop a coke recepticle or curried chip in the street. Their high sales volume and city centre location would mean that litter could potentially be a problem if this was not addressed.

Funnily enough the same thought occured to me on Saturday night as I waded through vast swathes of chip bags, drinks cups and napkins carrying their red seal of approval on the way home from the pub.

As I strolled past the stinking píss ridden pukevomit, blood tainted Tholstel, surveying the booze soaked chip wolfing heaving mass of vagabonds jostling amongst the filth for access to the place, I couldn't help but ponder what became of that wonderful plan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

And on fabbys bomb shell I'd just like to say I've had about a dozen Supermacs meals this month (but none in KK) :) None from now on though, need to loose 10kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Ababrakebabra's evening fare is your only man for speedy weight loss, you won't know which end of yourself to hold over the jacks.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, Aberakebabera, mmmmmmmmmm, not as nice as a Joes kebab but mmmmmmmmmm. Anyway, no more, have to get ready for the new season.

I was thinking about the fire today and I just imagined someone throwing water all over it. On a serious note, how many staff received fire training? How many staff any where receive fire training (which because of hippy law (I'm not anti-green but some of them take the pee) is insufficiant, or the fire dudes are too toight to find stuff to burn)? I did an excellent fire marshall course when I was in Zürich but the last one I did here we were told we could not extinguish a real fire. The one I did in Zürich involved a fire in a burning concrete training building, big fire with a little extinguisher, oil fires and a whole lot more.

It's a good question - I wonder how did it start? In my job we get fire training from time to time even though the chances of the place going on fire are zilch. I'm surmising that the turnover of staff in a place like Supermac's is such that it's likely that not many of the people in there have had much training. I just hope that nobody was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Good enough for the kip !!

I visit that place in October or so, and being honoust it was the worst sh1t hole I have ever being in for food.

I had to navigate my way past the junkies to just get to the ordering counter, then I had some non national trying to take my order, and that was a struggle just for the order taker to get it right.

When the order was recieved, of course it was wrong...... No suprise there. But after pointing this out, it was a nightmare getting it right.

So in my opinion, Let the **** hole burn.

Maybe they will get it right next time.

(PS I know the owner of the Super Mac's outfit and he is a PR1CK)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Enzo Scifo

aido 1976 wrote: »
    Good enough for the kip !!

I visit that place in October or so, and being honoust it was the worst sh1t hole I have ever being in for food.

I had to navigate my way past the junkies to just get to the ordering counter, then I had some non national trying to take my order, and that was a struggle just for the order taker to get it right.

When the order was recieved, of course it was wrong...... No suprise there. But after pointing this out, it was a nightmare getting it right.

So in my opinion, Let the **** hole burn.

Maybe they will get it right next time.

(PS I know the owner of the Super Mac's outfit and he is a PR1CK)

He may be a pr1ck but at least he is not a racist :rolleyes:

Advertisement