Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs on fire?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Im guessing Uncle sams will be doing amazing business until supermacs reopens, he will double his takings on saturday nights ?
    Marios up at aldi do great food, not city centre though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Enzo Scifo

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Damn straight, lets not change ANY premisis in town anymore in case it burns down 15 years later!

Look, I am all for progress and urbane urban enrichment, but I am sure that everyone will agree on one thing: Supermac's is a Mecca for scobes and degenerates (and alcohol enriched píssheads in the wee hours of the morning). It is a haven for the school dossers and scumbags, and it harbours the foulest cache of 'food' in the greater Kilkenny area.

A clause in their planning permission (if I remember correctly, and I am fully open to correction on this one) cited that they could not allow food to be sold for take-away, lest someone drop a coke recepticle or curried chip in the street. Their high sales volume and city centre location would mean that litter could potentially be a problem if this was not addressed.

Funnily enough the same thought occured to me on Saturday night as I waded through vast swathes of chip bags, drinks cups and napkins carrying their red seal of approval on the way home from the pub.

As I strolled past the stinking píss ridden pukevomit, blood tainted Tholstel, surveying the booze soaked chip wolfing heaving mass of vagabonds jostling amongst the filth for access to the place, I couldn't help but ponder what became of that wonderful plan.

Are you for real :o. What ever about their food any fast food place in the center of town is going to attract an element late at night but they dont sell drink or drugs (at least not on the menu) so its hardly their fault that the street outside is stinking of piss, blood and puke. Do they have security to check that you are an actual scumbag before they let you in?

Anyway, they cant open late anymore so maybe they wont want to re open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Enzo, The point I was making was not specific to Supermac's as a business. I agree with you; these individuals will congegrate in any such place. The points I was making were:

1) Supermac's seems to have flouted its "no take away" clause, significantly contributing to rubbish in the street and ensuing clean up operations and costs

2) Having all this this going on 2/3 nights a week in the environs of the Tholstel which is an Architecturaly significant structure and the heart of Kilkenny proper is just not on. I am fairy sure that the building which was burnt was probably listed as well. Already this year Architects have defecated on our reigonal treasures (the parade), we should do our utmost to prevent local plebians from doing the same.

3) Whether or not their food triggers a puking reflex is quite debatable.

Also:
    Mario's is the business as suggested above, I highly recommend. It's just like Eddie Rockets except their food is tasty and reasonably priced and the surroundings are (slightly) nicer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Yep marios is great restaurant, not been there to long but has great reputation,i,m glad its away from the city center ,and doesnt seem to affect his business, its been a huge hit since he opened,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

then I had some non national trying to take my order
    Enzo Scifo wrote: »
    He may be a pr1ck but at least he is not a racist :rolleyes:

But it's OK to call him a racist "Smiley face", please explain how by calling someone a non national is racist, A customer expects a level of service when ordering. Was aido 1976 not just stating facts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

He may be a pr1ck but at least he is not a racist :rolleyes:

yeah and hes racist for calling him a non national, whats he meant to call him, irish??

Mmmmmmmmmmm, Aberakebabera, mmmmmmmmmm, not as nice as a Joes kebab but mmmmmmmmmm. Anyway, no more, have to get ready for the new season.

I was thinking about the fire today and I just imagined someone throwing water all over it. On a serious note, how many staff received fire training? How many staff any where receive fire training (which because of hippy law (I'm not anti-green but some of them take the pee) is insufficiant, or the fire dudes are too toight to find stuff to burn)? I did an excellent fire marshall course when I was in Zürich but the last one I did here we were told we could not extinguish a real fire. The one I did in Zürich involved a fire in a burning concrete training building, big fire with a little extinguisher, oil fires and a whole lot more.

I doubt there was any staff there , it was burning at like 9 o clock and a fire like that would be prety hard to put out with a entinguisher lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Damn straight, lets not change ANY premisis in town anymore in case it burns down 15 years later!

Exactly:D
    I am fairy sure that the building which was burnt was probably listed as well.

The roof and the shop front were protected. This is why the aforesaid roof is falling as little bits of ash over Wicklow by now because when SM moved in they couldnt touch the glass skylights so they used the rear section (which wasnt visible) to house there extractor system and the front bit (above the counter) was left as a "feature". The fire started in the kitchen and quickly went into the extractors, shortly after the roof was in flames. (And according to the KPeople so was William St, Garden Row and Guard Lane)
    Anyway, they cant open late anymore so maybe they wont want to re open.

How is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Dymo wrote: »
    But it's OK to call him a racist "Smiley face", please explain how by calling someone a non national is racist, A customer expects a level of service when ordering. Was aido 1976 not just stating facts?

They weren't stating facts they were implying something.

The staff being "non-national" had nothing to do with the statement of them messing up the order other then to imply that them being "non-national" meant there was something wrong with them. Irish people are well able to mess up someones order or give bad customer service so there was no need to add the "non-national" part, unless the OP feels them being "non-national" is a bad thing.

I would have said xenophobe as opposed to racist, since many of these non nationals (sic) would be of the same ethnic origin as ourselves.

Anyway, I personally don't give a fiddlers fk what colour they are or where they come from as long as they have a decent enough standard of english to take a special order or deal with a complaint, and a lot of them don't, which can be rather frustrating since many are in jobs where dealing with customers is the primary task.

But most migrant workers seem to have gone home these days anyway, else become fluent speakers so it's not really a problem anymore. Anyone else noticed this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

ergonomics wrote: »
    Agreed; "some of the firemen must be really tired after their exertions on behalf of the people of Kilkenny" sounds like something a child would write.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It will be interesting to see where next is appointed Skanger central.

catbear wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see where next is appointed Skanger central.
    Ahem......"Kayyyyyy Baaaaawlllll"

You'll have to educate me as to your post, I'm afraid my Skanger speak is somewhat rusty and I'd rather update myself via forums rather than hands on; if you know what I mean.

BTW, just past SM, wow, Duggans taken out aswell. Whatever happens I hope that it doesn't remain a shell in the long run. High street was a real kip back in the eighties.

he means kbowl that bowling place in macdonagh station where it costs 2 euro to play rambo...:rolleyes: (A game thats designed to make you lose and pay money)

Thank you both for that insight, i feel really out of touch now and I am afraid I may never regain contact with my inner skanger.
    I'd head down the canal now with some beverage to console myself but then I'd be conflicted as to what is acceptable as a skanger drink these days, i really need to swat up!

Healium wrote: »
    "Kayyyyyy Baaaaawlllll"

Perfect Pronunciation:)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It'd be pretty sweet if Supermacs didn't reopen on High Street. It's definitely way more suited to the outer environs of the city than right across from one of our most significant landmarks.

Anyone know how long their lease was in that building?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Threadhead wrote: »
    It'd be pretty sweet if Supermacs didn't reopen on High Street. It's definitely way more suited to the outer environs of the city than right across from one of our most significant landmarks.

Anyone know how long their lease was in that building?

Aul lad said 20 years lease. Opened around 1992 so that would only give them two years or so. I doubt they would re-open there unless lease was extended.

Personally would love to see them move out of there. I like Supermacs but that building would be far better served as an upmarket Dept store like BT's or a modern version of the Monster House to return (which unfortunately the last recession finished off). It was a great store and true landmark and I have very fond childhood memories of going there as a chap :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

ergonomics wrote: »
    Agreed; "some of the firemen must be really tired after their exertions on behalf of the people of Kilkenny" sounds like something a child would write.

The report was written by Sean Keane (who recently told the nation that "no known photographs of Alice Kyteler exist", so that explains that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CrazyBanana

Hahah hey now i do like the ole kayyyy baaaawl 'tis a perfect pronunciation,
    But i would love to See it back there i love supermacs, better than Macdonalds out of the town,

Did anyone here what accually happened ??

Oh and richard duggans isn't gone its only water damage and a little smoke damage i dunno where people are coming out with '' it's burned to the ground'' and all that pile a verbal dioreha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I heard from someone that my theory on water and oil is correct but I don't know who his source is so it's not solid.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CrazyBanana

i heard that the chip pan went on fire and they threw a bucket of water on it i don't no how true that is though

Purry Cat wrote: »
    The report was written by Sean Keane (who recently told the nation that "no known photographs of Alice Kyteler exist", so that explains that.
    Ha, yeah.
    Dugan's monster house clothes shop

One of the G's must have been burnt off in the fire, eh Sean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

Purry Cat wrote: »
    Let's hope that the Borough Council have the backbone to do the right thing and ensure that when Supermacs does come back it won't be in High Street. It was outrageous that they were given planning permission back in 1992 for a fast-food joint right opposite City Hall.
    I agree but dont hold your breath the Corpo are great at kicking up a pretend fuss -remember the ballyhoo after the bookies opened in the old Elliots shop on the parade
    -and that was after the Supermacs debacle!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

Look, I am all for progress and urbane urban enrichment, but I am sure that everyone will agree on one thing: Supermac's is a Mecca for scobes and degenerates (and alcohol enriched píssheads in the wee hours of the morning). It is a haven for the school dossers and scumbags, and it harbours the foulest cache of 'food' in the greater Kilkenny area.

A clause in their planning permission (if I remember correctly, and I am fully open to correction on this one) cited that they could not allow food to be sold for take-away, lest someone drop a coke recepticle or curried chip in the street. Their high sales volume and city centre location would mean that litter could potentially be a problem if this was not addressed.

Funnily enough the same thought occured to me on Saturday night as I waded through vast swathes of chip bags, drinks cups and napkins carrying their red seal of approval on the way home from the pub.

As I strolled past the stinking píss ridden pukevomit, blood tainted Tholstel, surveying the booze soaked chip wolfing heaving mass of vagabonds jostling amongst the filth for access to the place, I couldn't help but ponder what became of that wonderful plan.

Perfect summation! -Royston Vasey images floating round my head!
    By the way "are you Local?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I think they should ask that question to every person who darkens the door of Supermac's :D

Anyone know when the Tholsel opens up again? I want to go up to the cupula and have a peak at the wreckage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Anyone know when the Tholsel opens up again? I want to go up to the cupula and have a peak at the wreckage.

The Tholsel is open 363 days a year. Benjy serves a fine pint there and is always a good man for the banter!

Advertisement