Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs on fire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Ah hah! I should have mentioned it was the City Hall Thosel was the one i meant but thanks for the tip!:D Out of interest, 363 days? I mean Christmas hes closed, but what other day?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ah hah! I should have mentioned it was the City Hall Thosel was the one i meant but thanks for the tip!:D Out of interest, 363 days? I mean Christmas hes closed, but what other day?:pac:

Good Friday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

Speaking of Tholsels -The chamber of horrors ie. parking fines office is located on the ground floor -interestingly behind a you can't get at me glass counter

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Good Friday

Ahh:o

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Only heard about this just now. Good to hear no one was seriously injured or killed. It looks pretty gutted. I used to work there and the place is unrecognisable inside.

• Advertisement

Just took this of the roof of SM today from the Tholsel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is Supermacs definitely going to rebuild there?
    There was an article on the KK Advertiser a few weeks ago with the MD of Supermacs in Galway re the fire. He said that the rent of €4000 per week (yes, per week) is pretty crippling and they would have to weigh up their options. Apparently the previous franchisee gave it up last year thanks to the nanny state antics of KK Borough Council making them close early. In any decent city you should be able to get a bite to eat in the wee hours but not Kilkenny of course :rolleyes: I think the same guy ran the Supermacs in either Carlow or Waterford as well, not sure which. I think one of those units outside MacDonagh Junction (where Peter Marks are) would be perfect for them. Though Eddie Rockets may not be impressed :)

mfitzy wrote: »
    the rent of €4000 per week

Wow:eek:
    the previous franchisee gave it up last week

Is this definate? if so is this why the SM sign was gone today?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wow:eek:

Is this definate? if so is this why the SM sign was gone today?

Sorry that should have read last year not week!

Sorry that should have read last year not week!

Ahhhh! I was thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

ah supermacs wasnt great anyways, but any port in a storm as they say. i will say that their taco fries were tasty & tempting though. Anyways, im rowing my full support behind bringing the Burger King franchise to kk- if they build it - they will come!:D

gunner11 wrote: »
    ah supermacs wasnt great anyways, but any port in a storm as they say. i will say that their taco fries were tasty & tempting though. Anyways, im rowing my full support behind bringing the Burger King franchise to kk- if they build it - they will come!:D

oh, forgot to say, i think we're the only "city" in ireland without one (dont mention tesco, im also fully aware of that fact)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Is Supermacs definitely going to rebuild there?
    There was an article on the KK Advertiser a few weeks ago with the MD of Supermacs in Galway re the fire. He said that the rent of €4000 per week (yes, per week) is pretty crippling and they would have to weigh up their options. Apparently the previous franchisee gave it up last year thanks to the nanny state antics of KK Borough Council making them close early. In any decent city you should be able to get a bite to eat in the wee hours but not Kilkenny of course :rolleyes: I think the same guy ran the Supermacs in either Carlow or Waterford as well, not sure which. I think one of those units outside MacDonagh Junction (where Peter Marks are) would be perfect for them. Though Eddie Rockets may not be impressed :)

Sorry, but what's nanny-stateish about making Supermacs finally abide by the conditions of their planning permission, which they had actually been flouting for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Any more news on if Supermacs will actually be reopening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 upthecats

We really lack good quality fast food in Kilkenny. Abrekebabra is muck. Other places on John Street average and with McDonalds out of town, Supermacs closed and no Burger King, there is a serious lack of places to bring kids for good value grub:mad:

Somebody could clean up with a good operation in the city and the sooner the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

"Kids for good value grub" - I'm shocked at that statement, I hope you were taking the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

upthecats wrote: »
    We really lack good quality fast food in Kilkenny. Abrekebabra is muck. Other places on John Street average and with McDonalds out of town, Supermacs closed and no Burger King, there is a serious lack of places to bring kids for good value grub:mad:

Why not keep away from the large franchises and stick to local Kilkenny business's, like Mario's, Rocco's, Joes Takeaway or Larkins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

i would like to order 2 mack meals well overdone and a smokey burger meal:D

Somebody could clean up with a good operation in the city and the sooner the better!

Do you have a reason not to like the local run places? Im not being ratty Im just wondering. The thing is those good value places are dirt and the less of them the better. We dont lack good quality places, theres plenty, its just you wont look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 upthecats

Really meant to say the kids don't like the local chippies. Rightly or wrongly they prefer McDonalds, Burger King as do their school friends etc... and by and large these places are more catered for families with seating arrangements etc... Most of the other fast foods are aimed at the Friday/Saturday night crew coming out of boozer or students. Eddie Rockets is another option but can be expensive for a family so only go there once in a while but the kids love it! The point I was making was a quality kids orientated fast-food joint that is good value would do well in Kilkenny - that's all!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

You mean like Mario's?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

In case the poster hasn't been to Marios (which seems very likely), it is both a sit-down and take-away joint (separate doors). Has a small play area in the corner for kids... food is good... decent value. Popular. You can park outside it. Diner vibe to it a bit like Eddie Rockets... Suck it and see.

Its only disadvantage is the remote location - not conducive to late-night post-beer soakage. But I don't think they're aiming for that market anyway. It's a nice spot and I wish them well. Their coffee is sublime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Remote, its not in tullaroan or anything lol in fact its a nice 6 min walk to burn the calories,

Well you wouldn't exactly wander in there off high street either now would you?

And you'd probably have to walk out to Tullaroan and back to shift the calories you would ingest with one of their breakfasts. Savage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Well you wouldn't exactly wander in there off high street either now would you?
    i guess not,, but for someone on a lunch break of an hour,, then from parade you could walk up in what? 6-10 mins, ,,or if you talking about the late night takeaway i,m sure drunk people cant taste de food they eat :D

i,m sure drunk people cant taste de food they eat
    That Supermac's existed in the town for so many years is truly testament to this fact.

anyone got any updates on this building's future? starting to look a real eyesore being boarded up at this stage

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Really meant to say the kids don't like the local chippies. Rightly or wrongly they prefer McDonalds, Burger King as do their school friends etc...

They only prefer the big chain stores because of the advertising

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cabaal wrote: »
    They only prefer the big chain stores because of the advertising

Having worked in a couple of large retailers, you'd be shocked at just how effective it is. If you take like for like in Kilkenny, Dominos vs Mizzoni, the ingedrients are more or less the same but there's a significant difference in the price, Dominos is going strong. At a guess I'd say Mizzonis is keeping in with a normal GP of about 70% and Dominos at 85% which is exceptionally high. Choice of chippy varies, I love Joes, friends of mine hate it but I'm sure there's one in town you'll enjoy but don't get fooled by advertising. Another example I experienced last year was my boss was looking for multi adapters so he said he was going to Woodies, I told him to go to Kellehers across the road, €10.50 in Woodies and €4.15 in Kellehers and he was buying 10 of them.

Supermacs is a prime location in town and I'm sure whoever takes it on will be an A-lister.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement