Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man drink

Options
  • 29-12-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

HI everyone
    I am making a lovely romantic dinner for my fella for NYE and want to make some cocktails...he is not into 'Carries' aka Cosmo's...'Mohicans' aka Mojitos and does not like creamy drinks.

Can anyone recommend a tasty 'man'tini??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A proper martini: four to five parts gin to one part vermouth. Served ice cold, with an olive. Beyond that you're into girl-cocktail territory (and yes I'm looking at you Mr Bond with your poncy vodka).

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Not that I would taint my own whiskey by such antics but you could try a

Whiskey Sour

Whiskey, juice of 1/2 a Lemon & level teaspoon of sugar. Mix and pour over crushed ice.

A John Collins is similar just swap whiskey for Gin and instead of crushed ice soda or tonic water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

BeerNut wrote: »
    A proper martini: four to five parts gin to one part vermouth. Served ice cold, with an olive. Beyond that you're into girl-cocktail territory (and yes I'm looking at you Mr Bond with your poncy vodka).

...and no umbrella or other girly decorations.

Make sure you have the right glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PogueMahone365

Make sure you have the right glasses.

Yeah, so you can see what you're doing. . . :D heheh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sidecar:

2 Parts Brandy
    1 Part Lemon juice
    1 Part Cointreau.

Or Margarita

Same as above but use Tequila instead of Brandy and lime instead of lemon (or a mix of the two)

• Advertisement

Or Margarita

Same as above but use Tequila instead of Brandy and lime instead of lemon (or a mix of the two)

Way too gay. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Whiskey sour is good. Don't use "good" whiskey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Please "Mantinis" is that where we have come to? Give the guy a good glass of full bodied red wine, a cote du rhone possibly or simply a good beer. For gods sake.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The Big Lebowski drank white russians - that's about as manly as you get in the coctail world.

I think it's 1 shot vodka, 1 shot kahlua, milk, ice and salt.

Or the Denis Thatcher (you'd have to be some man to survive that):

Bombay Sapphire Gin
    Ice
    Lime
    Tonic.

If it's man non-coctail drinks you want though, why not beer or whiskey? You could even get a belgian beer in a fancy bottle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Sarky wrote: »
    Whiskey sour is good. Don't use "good" whiskey.

I always find this opinion slightly strange. If someone likes whiskey sour and they notice (or think they notice) the difference when a good whiskey is used and a bad whiskey is used, why not let them at it.

The idea that it's a waste is a bit of a non issue because if you can afford the better whiskey and like it, then why not? If my favourite drink in the world is a Midleton whiskey sour and I can afford to pay for the midleton, then what's the problem?

I'd assume a whiskey sour is best with a smooth whiskey such as Bushmills. Also, I'm sure using a good peated scotch such as Talisker might produce interesting results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

The Big Lebowski drank white russians - that's about as manly as you get in the coctail world.

I think it's 1 shot vodka, 1 shot kahlua, milk, ice and salt.

Salt?? Dear god no. The dude abides a lot of things but I'd say he'd be pretty pissed off with a salty caucasian...

IBA specified ingredients†

* 5 cl Vodka
    * 2 cl Coffee liqueur
    * 3 cl Part Fresh cream

Preparation Pour coffee liqueur and vodka directly into old fashioned glass filled with ice. Float fresh cream on the top and stir in slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I always find this opinion slightly strange... etc

I generally find mixing a whiskey masks an awful lot of the flavour that makes the "better" ones stand out in the first place. The thing about personal taste though is that it's just that. I know what i like, but that's hardly a standard to hold everyone to. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Or the Denis Thatcher (you'd have to be some man to survive that):

Bombay Sapphire Gin
    Ice
    Lime
    Tonic.

So your basically saying a G&T ;) :P

I always find this opinion slightly strange. If someone likes whiskey sour and they notice (or think they notice) the difference when a good whiskey is used and a bad whiskey is used, why not let them at it.

The idea that it's a waste is a bit of a non issue because if you can afford the better whiskey and like it, then why not? If my favourite drink in the world is a Midleton whiskey sour and I can afford to pay for the midleton, then what's the problem?

I'd assume a whiskey sour is best with a smooth whiskey such as Bushmills. Also, I'm sure using a good peated scotch such as Talisker might produce interesting results.

Correct, If the person likes whiskey then you are spot on ... use a decent whiskey. If the person is not a whiskey person then any bog standard Irish in your cabinette would do or something like Jameson 12yo which is a bit sweeter.

The whiskey sour technically should use a sweet whiskey to counter act the sour. So bourbon is usually used but Jameson Bushmills Blackbush or Tullamore are all good for this.

So your basically saying a G&T ;) :P

Calling it a Denis makes it easier to drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

An Old Fashioned - recently referenced with a demonstration on making one in Mad Men

http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video/42/old_fashioned/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKaqk-R7u-8

Lots of variations and opinions on the correct way to make one properly

Bugnug wrote: »
    Please "Mantinis" is that where we have come to? Give the guy a good glass of full bodied red wine, a cote du rhone possibly or simply a good beer. For gods sake.

FFS, you probably would have considered a glass of wine far to "gay" for a real man 10 yeas ago.

Ug Ug beer!!
    Ug Ug oooh, I do like a nice glass of Cote du Rhone!!

Make up your mind!!
    Or else let people drink what they like, when they like.

PS a proper Martini will knock any man's socks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PS a proper Martini will knock any man's socks off.
    Its the look of it, not whats in it. It would not be out of place to see delboy trotter drinking one for comical effect it is so "ghey" looking, and so out of place for a "cockney geezer". Seriously -there are pubs in the city centre and if you offered me €50 to order and drink a martini, with the olive & all in it, I would have to pass for risk of being beaten by homophobes.

rubadub wrote: »
    Its the look of it, not whats in it. It would not be out of place to see delboy trotter drinking one for comical effect it is so "ghey" looking, and so out of place for a "cockney geezer". Seriously -there are pubs in the city centre and if you offered me €50 to order and drink a martini, with the olive & all in it, I would have to pass for risk of being beaten by homophobes.

Yes there are certain pubs where I wouldn't order and drink a martini (although it's highly unlikely that I would be in such a pub and if I was, it is highly unlikely that the staff would or could make a martini). But does that make the homophobes right?
    The op was talking about an 'at home' situation, anyway.

I turned all my macho friends into pansies the other night by serving them margaritas (drunk, happy pansies!);)

rubadub wrote: »

You paint a strange picture of your city; rampaging gangs of "homophobes" (whatever they are) looking out for men drinking cocktails?

Wouldn't happen in Crossmaglen. We're much more cosmopolitan up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

An unusual cocktail, not to everyone's taste, is the oddly-named Suicide #1.

1 part Pernod
    3 parts Campari

Recipe courtesy of the Webtender (http://webtender.com).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

Bugnug wrote: »

Seriously, Trying to decide on what cocktails a man can publicly drink in the vacinity of a woman without being considered her gay friend may just point the finger at you being in the wrong environment. Mojito's (especially if made with captain morgan spiced rum) is a great drink, or caipirinha if you get somewhere that stocks cachaca, prefferably Cachaca 51..
    On the other hand, men are more likely to drink a cocktail in a bar than a glass of wine.

Advertisement