Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics

Options
  • 29-12-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hey,

I am in fifth year and have decided to take up Economics as an extra subject. I was wondering if you guys could provide me a name of a reliable text book and revision book which covers the course in its entirety . Also, I would also like to know what chapters my fellow fifth years have covered or what should be covered to this point. I appreciate any and all helpful feedback.

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

I never understood taking up the extra subject. Just focus more on what you find difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

I never understood taking up the extra subject. Just focus more on what you find difficult.

Some schools don't offer certain subjects and some people find languages or maths hard.

Extra subjects ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

'Understanding Economics' by Richard Delaney is ok, I use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Rapid Revision has been a major help to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    Rapid Revision has been a major help to me.

i got an A1 In econiomics and did not put in a huge amount of effort, i had numerous revisions books and out of them all the Rapid Revision Economics was by the far the best!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

i got an A1 In econiomics and did not put in a huge amount of effort, i had numerous revisions books and out of them all the Rapid Revision Economics was by the far the best!

I see. Does it cover the entire course? :P

Also, does anyone know how many chapters should be covered by this stage?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

BL1993 wrote: »
    I see. Does it cover the entire course? :P

Also, does anyone know how many chapters should be covered by this stage?

Thanks

we have 4 chapters left to do,all micro done and the 4 left to do from the macro section

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭samapp

Hey!
    Economics is a good choice for an extra subject as I think its very doable and manageable in 2 years. If you are in any way even a half-serious student then you shouldnt have too much trouble. I am using Leaving Cert Economics by Denis L. O'Grady. Its a bit longwinded for some but I think its ok. So far we have done 19/33 Chapters which is basically sections 1 and 2 out of 3 in this book. Section 1 is only 5 Chapters so you could get through it in a week but even if you spend half a week reading it you should get the point of it. Section 2 has lots of graphs but if you read the material and try to see patterns in the graphs it shouldnt take long to grasp. Keep an extra set of notes with the exam material stuff on it. There is a chapter on demand and one question you can be asked is what are the factors that influence demand for a product so write the factors down on these notes with explanations. Also, I highly recommend getting exam papers as well. I find that the questions keep comming up again and again. Its a very nice paper as well. 6 out of 9 short questions and 4 out of 8 long questions. So, there is a lot of choice. If you stick at it for the best part of the remainder of the year you should be flying and then you can take a slightly and I stress slightly more of a backseat role. The extra notes I made myself saved me on a number of tests. The summaries are all you need. I hope it all works out for you. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

I personally love Economics :)

If you put the work in it is very easy to gain a high mark :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 12345678910

Get Rapid Revision- it's fairly good! We use "modern economics" in class. Personally I find a combination of both works best when revising as rapid revision can be a bit brief at times.
    It is very doable as an extra subject, we're finished the course already and we already and we know it fairly well.
    It is a very predictable exam-you could almost get away without learning half the course! The only thing I would say against it is that sometimes the marking schemes can be a bit of a B***h!

• Advertisement
Advertisement