Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Wet windy and cold here in Aughrim

Im not sure we will see any snow out of this....its just not cold enough and temps arnt dropping (yet)
    Maybe i need more patience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Temperatures continue to fall here, sleet with increasing amounts of snow in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

squonk wrote: »
    Check out the circular arc to the west on ME's 12:45 rainfall radar image. Must be an error of some sort. Looks too symmetric to be real!

That's the snow shield ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

I'm hoping Aughrim (and the rest of the snow starved east coast!) gets a massive dumping, but only time will tell. The wind down here is so cold, even the dog doesn't want to go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Sleet in Rathdrum Co.Wicklow first sign of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

jambofc wrote: »
    temp dropping now,down from 4c to 2.8 now and a wind that would cut you in half and it comeing from a more northerly north/easterly direction,let the war begin :D

were are you lot getting this from the rain/sleet has stopped here but temps are still rising maybe a different change when i check the lastest meto reports in 10 mins..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

owenc wrote: »
    were are you lot getting this from the rain/sleet has stopped here but temps are still rising maybe a different change when i check the lastest meto reports in 10 mins..

Ok, well my temp has fallen .2c's in the past 30mins or so :p.

Its absolutely miserable here in Carlow town, dark, miserable and spilling rain. So miserable infact that it would make one wish he was still in his place of slumber!!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

CASEMENT E 24 Gust 47 LIGHT SLEET
    KNOCK AIRPORT NE 16 Gust 28 LIGHT SLEET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 patsy A

Snowing heavy in longford now, 646ft asl.

My thermometer has dropped by 1 degree C in the past hour or so, says 1.9C now, temperatures are simply falling, probably due to heavy sleet, though there is a lot of snow in it now. Could be nearly all snow at this stage but it won't stick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

ffarrell wrote: »
    After listening to the 1.00 clock weather forceast I doubt there will be any snow at all in the East, South or West but perhaps some snow showers in the North. The East although cold is too sheltered hence the lack of precipitation. Maybe a few snow flurries tomorrow they said to cover themselves. I just don not see any snow on the horizon except as I say in the North. Sorry..................:mad:

What are you on about? We are about to enter the coldest spell of weather in years, and there will be snow in the east, midlands, the north and eventually in the south! There will be heavy snow showers in the east from tommorrow onwards caused by strong easterly winds blowing over the Irish sea. Met eireann won't forecast these showers forming in the Irish sea as said above.

Look at the met eireann forecast and you will see what I mean about the severe cold continueing.

Dan

Just reporting that Lucans snow shield is in perfect working order. rain, rain, and more bleedin' rain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php/topic,755.msg14696.html#msg14696

4 photos of the carpark area at killikee. STAY AWAY from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

No snow here, just rain.

3.2c
    NE winds of 20 - 30km with gusts up to 50km.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

bits of hail, and gale force winds in D15,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

currently snowing in monaghan town and beginning to settle asl is 90m asl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just come back from Blanchardstown, the ramp road from the roundabout over the N3 onto the N3 near the blanchardstown centre is flooded in the navan direction. Alot of surface water on the roads near Dunshaughlin and fields waterlogged. Lagore Road in Dunshaughlin flooded in 2 places. The rain here is starting to turn a bit sleety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The battle lines are being drawn over Ireland now.

Moist warm air pushing from the southwest, cold dry air pushing in from the northeast. Precip intensifying, wind increasing.

A classic battle taking place right on top of us.
    Sorry for being so irritating but that battle can go on morning, noon and night as long as the temperature is as high as 4c (slightly below average for time of year)
    The forecast I made on xmas day for the week ahead is completely accurate so far. I said the easterly wouldn't be cold enough for snow and the only areas to see snow would be northern areas into the new year.
    THE END

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Rain rain rain and more rain here so far today!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I know it is going to get extremely cold but I still maintain that Met Eireann have not a clue at the best of times. Heavy snow showers predicted for East coast last night trasnforms into a few possible flurries today on the 1.00 weather?? I mean who are these people?? I am still adamant about it staying dry in the East, West and South with the North getting any showers over the coming 2 days. We may get one or two snow showers in the East from Sunday onwards although this is debatable.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Wet and windy here :(

Heavy snow here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Sleet and snow mixed in moycullen galway atm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wet and windy here in donegal, very cold though with them chilling winds , its a day to stay in by the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

As predicted - snow/wet snow over hills and mountains and sleet and rain at lower levels. They have got that right but they keep chopping and changing their forecasts. Have not a clue.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Light rain continues here (current rain rate 1.3mm/ph) with a nagging breeze (14mph 10 min mean) Temp seems to be falling a little over the last hour or so, down to 1.8c from a high of 2.8c, which is exactly the same max as yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

manonmir wrote: »
    wow, what a jackass.
    Go on, give a reason if you have any opinions that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Wet and windy here :(

Unfortunately it is the exact same where I am, like it has actually been constantly (literally nonstop) rain and wind since I woke up yesterday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

If you look at sat 24 you can see the cold air coming in under the warm'ish air over Scotland, its on its way lads :D

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=homepage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

No need for negative comments...we can all agree that Forecasting is as much a guessing game as a Science. Half of the fun of it is the degree of uncertainty associated with the Forecasting. I don't think anyone should be given out to for not getting it exactly right !!!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement