Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Total whiteout at Calary , I decided no way am i driving through that after dark so called in a snow day. On the way back took old Roundwood road, snow level lower than yesterday, down to the higher houses now at around 275 metres.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Sorry for being so irritating but that battle can go on morning, noon and night as long as the temperature is as high as 4c (slightly below average for time of year)
    The forecast I made on xmas day for the week ahead is completely accurate so far. I said the easterly wouldn't be cold enough for snow and the only areas to see snow would be northern areas into the new year.
    THE END

So your week ends on a wednesday does it? my week isnt over yet.
    Not the End. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Imagine..I grew up in Lacken up the Wiclow Mountains and my parents moved to Waterford....how can I still love them for doing that to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Supercell wrote: »
    Total whiteout at Calary , I decided no way am i driving through that after dark so called in a snow day. On the way back took old Roundwood road, snow level lower than yesterday, down to the higher houses now at around 275 metres.

You,d want to see the snow up there. classic. The last time i saw heavy snow like that up there was 2006.

With the tempetures set to drop, all of ireland will be skating about.

Kippure wrote: »
    You,d want to see the snow up there. classic. The last time i saw heavy snow like that up there was 2006.

Yep, I noticed the roads to Sally Gap are blockaded with signs saying road closed - snow!
    People will still try it on though..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

roryc1 wrote: »
    If you look at sat 24 you can see the cold air coming in under the warm'ish air over Scotland, its on its way lads :D

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=homepage

what the heck can you tell me how you can see colder weather through clouds its just clouds over scotland the same as earlier it hasnt moved so were are you seeing this cold weather... and temps here have risen to 2.6c now but people down south in the milder air are dropping.?:confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Sorry for being so irritating but that battle can go on morning, noon and night as long as the temperature is as high as 4c (slightly below average for time of year)
    The forecast I made on xmas day for the week ahead is completely accurate so far. I said the easterly wouldn't be cold enough for snow and the only areas to see snow would be northern areas into the new year.
    THE END

I had the best part of an inch of snow last night, was even out throwing snow balls in it :p:)

There's another member over the past few days who has had to retreat from his home temporarily due to conditions and he's had a good bit of snow, he even posted a few pics for us to look at.

More snow in Kerry too as detailed by both posts and video posted.

Looking out of the window in a westerly direction I see ground at higher elevation then me is pretty white looking when the murkiness clears a little.

Are you sure you didn't mean to use the word "inaccurate" rather than "accurate"?

I've pretty much resigned myself to thinking that in my area of Munster we've seen the last of the snow for a while but the kid in me is always hoping that out of somewhere favourable conditions will materialise and we'll get a little more.

Turned more noticeably cold now with the persistant rain clearing to showers from the northeast.

Think positive :D

Yep, I noticed the roads to Sally Gap are blockaded with signs saying road closed - snow!

I know its bold, but if I had a jeep and all the right survival gear, and maybe a convoy of support vehicles I'd try it too!

Theres always idiots, who care not a jot about others safety.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

CHD wrote: »
    Hello,

Could some person who knows about weather tell me the chances of me seeing snow in the next week? Im in Kilcoole, on the coast in Wicklow. Will it just be the typical mother nature being a tease and covering the mountains 30 mins away?

Many Thanks :)
    Don't know if anyone answered this.
    I'm a mile from sea and what I'm expecting are Thurs/Fri showers with sleet, snow and hail falling. In heavy shower of snow and hail. I may see a temporary covering, but I expect this to thaw.

Until we lose the easterly (which will then cut off the showers) the air temperature will remain above zero.

• Advertisement

I know its bold, but if I had a jeep and all the right survival gear, and maybe a convoy of support vehicles I'd try it too!

I aint doing it this time. I even know when to stop. When a few JCBs have went through and cleared the drifts to glencree, Ill go up and take a look.

I aint going near sallys gap, untill i see a sign for a break in the weather. That aint any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

owenc wrote: »
    what the heck can you tell me how you can see colder weather through clouds its just clouds over scotland the same as earlier it hasnt moved so were are you seeing this cold weather... and temps here have risen to 2.6c now but people down south in the milder air are dropping.?:confused: :mad:

Look at the flow of the clouds the are now starting to move from a northeast direction and make ground over Scotland, what is making them clouds move more south, the cold air is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Light rain continues here (current rain rate 1.3mm/ph) with a nagging breeze (14mph 10 min mean) Temp seems to be falling a little over the last hour or so, down to 1.8c from a high of 2.8c, which is exactly the same max as yesterday!

it will be snowing there in 20- 30 minutes. i had a word with the wet snow and told it to get a move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

No true - last February was the heaviest fall in Dublin and Dublin/Wicklow mountans for years. Sally Gap had metres of it for weeks and was only accessible on ':)skis' if you remember all of the people stranded there both tourists and others. Military road had 'disappeared' such was the levels of snow. Even snowploughs could not get through and most of them were being driven by Polish workers.

roryc1 wrote: »
    Look at the flow of the clouds the are now starting to move from a northeast direction and make ground over Scotland, what is making them clouds move more south, the cold air is :rolleyes:

oh ok i see it moving south now thanks at first i thought it was circling but now it looks to be heading south! though its going to take a long time

Heavy rain here for the last while,heaviest of the spell.
    It's bringing down some wet flakes with it and a lot of icy bits on the windows.

The air temp is dropping-it's now 3.4c but it won't snow anytime soon with a dp of 3c.

Higher parts of co wicklow and in particular the military road area must be getting hammered with snow as no doubt it's been snowing there all night now and all day and when we were there yesterday,there was already a white out and about 4 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

owenc wrote: »

Owenc, please please use some punctuation in your posts. They are very difficult to read!

2.2c here and still raining heavily.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

it will be snowing there in 20- 30 minutes. i had a word with the wet snow and told it to get a move on

Tell it to get a move on quick! temp back up to 1.9c.

My 2009 rainfall total broke the 1300mm barrier yesterday so it is safe to say that this year has been another wet one, but locally, still nowhere near as wet as 2008.

WATER-ford is living up to its name...raining heavily yet again !!!!

arctictree wrote: »
    Owenc, please please use some punctuation in your posts. They are very difficult to read!

A

Ok, I will try and spend more time when writting posts I usually write the posts quite fast.. but of course this is ruining them so I will again spend more time puncuating them.

• Advertisement

A

Surprised is only rain there AT, the houses at your elevation on the side of Djouce and Scarr have snow in the fields behind them and in spots in the garden in front of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Jake1 wrote: »
    Theres always idiots, who care not a jot about others safety.:(

+1

Saw a car up there on sunday struggling on the ice - he had driven up and couldn't get down. He was trying to work his way down along the ditch.

A nice Range Rover pulled up with Family and Dog on board, paused and then with his nose in the air drove up past the car that was struggling. . braked on the Top of the hill, to come sliding back down, hit the car that was struggling and ended up on the ditch.

IDIOT !!!

With the emergency services already declaring people can't be rescued up there, why would people venture up there.

Mountain Rescue has many kind and hardworking volunteers in their organisation - why ruin their xmass!!!

Have a little consideration

ffarrell wrote: »
    No true - last February was the heaviest fall in Dublin and Dublin/Wicklow mountans for years. Sally Gap had metres of it for weeks and was only accessible on ':)skis' if you remember all of the people stranded there both tourists and others. Military road had 'disappeared' such was the levels of snow. Even snowploughs could not get through and most of them were being driven by Polish workers.

"2006 was the last time I saw it so bad up there, I missed the months jan feb and march here in ireland due to work. Was else were.

But i heard about it on the news on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wet snow coming down in heavier bursts of sleet, some slush forming on the picnic bench out in the yard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The wind is really beginning to pick up here now, I can here it whistling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A
    This is what the ignore list is for...;)

9mm today, 26mm in total.
    4.7C Dp3.6C

"2006 was the last time I saw it so bad up there, I missed the months jan feb and march here in ireland due to work. Was else were.

But i heard about it on the news on the internet

It was mental here last Feb. What is more frustrating is that the temperatures if anything were slightly warmer. But the all important dew points were lower and we had blizzards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Was going to go to Johnnie Fox's pub in the Dublin mountains for something to eat. Gave them a call and they told me it was only sleeting where normally at that altitude there is snow with this type of weather. It is quite frequent up there. Other parts of the Dublin/Wicklow mountains are being hammered with drifts of 2 and 3 feet in places apparently especially around Sally Gap. Sleet also falling in Laragh, Wicklow which is also quite high up.:mad:

44.2 mm rain yesterday
    25.4 mm rain today so far.
    One can only imagine the snow depths above 400 metres or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Howling a gale here now with heavy sleet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement