Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Mothman wrote: »
    This is what the ignore list is for...;)

9mm today, 26mm in total.
    4.7C Dp3.6C

The last time i checked you do not tell users to ignore other users in front of their faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Supercell wrote: »
    44.2 mm rain yesterday
    25.4 mm rain today so far.
    One can only imagine the snow depths above 400 metres or so.
    Hopefully we'll have Supercell Shackleton reporting such depths soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Yeah, even Dublin airport was closed twice for snow clearing operations last February. However there was less wind and it definitely felt colder. The centre of Dublin had heavy snownfall also during that week. We will wait and see what happens.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Surprised is only rain there AT, the houses at your elevation on the side of Djouce and Scarr have snow in the fields behind them and in spots in the garden in front of them!

Yep, probably because I am much closer to the coast. Those areas near Djouce/Scarr seem to get more snow than me at equal elevation.

Have seen bits of sleet here in the rain but the temp is stubbornly constant at just over 2c. Imagine the amount of snow here at 1c colder!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 patsy A

Very heavy snow now, starting to stick to the grass. Big flakes! 646ft asl. longford.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mothman wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll have Supercell Shackleton reporting such depths soon...

Lol, actually I was just thinking that as soon as this stops I'm putting on my hiking boots and walking to the snow, its not like I'll have to go far! I literally could throw a stone out the back and it would land in the stuff! So near yet so far!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Very heavy snow now at Annagh about 5 miles north of Gorey at 600ft asl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I was in Roundwood and Annamoe last February and the snow was immense. It stayed for about 10 days in total. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

It was mental here last Feb. What is more frustrating is that the temperatures if anything were slightly warmer. But the all important dew points were lower and we had blizzards.

I,ll give you a good laugh on how i heard about people been rescued in the wicklow mountains on ski,s. I heard it off a newfoundlander in Alberta. I thought he was taking the piss.

But he was right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Mostly rain on the North Dublin coast (quell supprise) - but a little bit of sleet aswell in heavier burst in the last half an hour which is a good sign for inland parts.

• Advertisement

heavy sleet here

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

Rain turning sleety in Tallaght. 90m asl
    M2 buoy dp down to 2.7(7 degrees)

Gradually turning more and more sleety here - very gradually. Not too far away from a flake or two appearing in the muck. Id give it another couple of hours though.

Making progress;)

BB good sign if it is already sleet with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BealaMeala

Hi Guys, Tipperary Town Snow Update - After getting loads of wonderful snow last night it had all disappeared this morning :( However it has just started to snow here again having rained all morning..I have started to pray while staring out the window (please stick, please stick)

Oh absolutely love these weather threads, can't let a day go buy without getting hooked on one..keep up the good work lads and lassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

The clouds building over Dublin CC are getting increasingly darker, I'd say there is a good bit of percip in them, however all we're getting at the minute is rain, really cold rain.

:(

Kippure wrote: »
    I,ll give you a good laugh on how i heard about people been rescued in the wicklow mountains on ski,s. I heard it off a newfoundlander in Alberta. I thought he was taking the piss.

But he was right.

Check out this below, those are tractor tracks in the snow to give you an idea of depth.

There is snow now at the top of that same field and I imagine Scarr is plastered just like it was then under the cloud at the moment.

snowtopia032.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Just out side Wicklow town TEMP 4.6 and DEWP 3.2 and raining hard go bit to go for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    +1

A nice Range Rover pulled up with Family and Dog on board, paused and then with his nose in the air drove up past the car that was struggling. . braked on the Top of the hill, to come sliding back down, hit the car that was struggling and ended up on the ditch.

IDIOT !!!

With the emergency services already declaring people can't be rescued up there, why would people venture up there.

Mountain Rescue has many kind and hardworking volunteers in their organisation - why ruin their xmass!!!

Have a little consideration

+1

Many people now have 4wd capability on their vehicles but the majority lack both the knowledge and experience on how to use such a vehicle effectively in conditions that are not "normal" for us.

I'm familiar with the area mentioned and undertaking a trip there would not be done lightly.

Driving in conditions such as those mentioned in the above post require a lot of extra thinking and planning. The described example being one of those. How the possibility of sliding did not occur to the driver with the 4wd did not occur I don't know. The weight of his vehicle alone could have severely damaged the vehicle it hit (depending on momentum etc...) and even put the other vehicle in to a more dangerous situation than it was already in. Not to mention the possibility of causing injury to the occupants of the other vehicle or the drivers own passengers :eek: I hope no one was injured in the described incident, I'll be somones pride was a little dented though:pac:

I unfortunately have to venture out and drive in such conditions for work and a careful assessment is made of a situation and it wouldn't be unknown to park a vehicle safely (we have 4d vehicles)and continue on foot to the destination. One of the many considerations is naturally the descent, after all if the ascent is tricky there is always the possibility of conditions deteriorating making the descent dangerous.

Its great to head out in snow conditions to have a laugh but people really shouldn't place themselves in situations where they may require rescue. I'm a pretty strong swimmer but I wouldn't consider swimming the English Channel without the appropriate training, experience and support. Spare a thought for the rescue services who do venture out to help people but remember they won't put themselves in danger and shouldn't be expeted to either.

Rant over :)

Still showery here at 120m asl in West Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Precip getting heavier here. Temp at 1.9c

Anyone know if we are due a temp drop around now?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I think I'll bring the only jeep on the forecourt home this evening just as a precaution ! Its a C-Crosser.....

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    Gradually turning more and more sleety here - very gradually. Not too far away from a flake or two appearing in the muck. Id give it another couple of hours though.

Making progress;)

BB good sign if it is already sleet with you.
    DP is crazy high though at 2.7c and is only barely dropping.
    Inland about 5 miles at Annagh and at 600ft asl it is snowing heavily.
    What we have here is heavy rain with wet flakes ie sleet.

Temp dropping now 3.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

zidewayz wrote: »
    Rain turning sleety in Tallaght. 90m asl
    M2 buoy dp down to 2.7(7 degrees)

The M2 dew point has been bouncing about - watch it rise again. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Tactical wrote: »
    I had the best part of an inch of snow last night, was even out throwing snow balls in it :p:)

There's another member over the past few days who has had to retreat from his home temporarily due to conditions and he's had a good bit of snow, he even posted a few pics for us to look at.

More snow in Kerry too as detailed by both posts and video posted.

Looking out of the window in a westerly direction I see ground at higher elevation then me is pretty white looking when the murkiness clears a little.

Are you sure you didn't mean to use the word "inaccurate" rather than "accurate"?

I've pretty much resigned myself to thinking that in my area of Munster we've seen the last of the snow for a while but the kid in me is always hoping that out of somewhere favourable conditions will materialise and we'll get a little more.

Turned more noticeably cold now with the persistant rain clearing to showers from the northeast.

Think positive :D
    I said the easterly wouldn't cold enough for snow, that, in my opinion is more accurate than inaccurate.

Wibbler wrote: »
    The M2 dew point has been bouncing about - watch it rise again. :cool:

Yep, once that goes sub 2°C for a couple of hours its time to start getting excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

4c in Cork now, dew point 4c aswell. In your opions, is it going to drop any in Cork?

arctictree wrote: »
    Precip getting heavier here. Temp at 1.9c

Anyone know if we are due a temp drop around now?

I think its just evaporative cooling and diurnal variation, don't think real cold is moving here yet, just look at Scotland on the xcweather page, I think the real cold is locked up around the Faroes, this hair dryer of a system has really blown the cold air far north.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

yr.no showing rain rain rain all the way for Dublin and much of east Leinster. Eventually, it stops raining and we end up in colder air, but as it arrives the winds turn north greatly reducing the chances of snow from showers. A little further on and the winds turn north-westerly. :cool:

It's a pattern I can see repeating itself for the next low from the SW. Is this just a run of bad luck for us Dublin lovers of snow? I can't recall the last time we had such a long spell of colder than normal weather in Dublin and not seen a single flake. It sure is frustrating.

It seems that whenever there's enough precipitation it's too warm to snow and whenever it's cold enough to snow there's no precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I think I'll bring the only jeep on the forecourt home this evening just as a precaution ! Its a C-Crosser.....

Land Rover Defender, 'yer only man :p

GavinH wrote: »
    4c in Cork now, dew point 4c aswell. In your opions, is it going to drop any in Cork?

Later this evening or tonight for a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Rain has turned to snow here (60m ASL, north-east county Galway) and temperature is reading 1.0C. Could be an interesting couple of hours ahead, ground is saturated though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement