Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Went on a bit of a trek up the hill leading to the lugala entrance in the wicklow mountains about an hour ago, some pics here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63709867

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It is sleeting slightly here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's so strange to have wind, rain & a radar image that doesn't change. I keep thinking that it hasn't refreshed !

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Tactical wrote: »
    Land Rover Defender, 'yer only man :p

I dunno...I'd miss the leather,heated seats, xenon lights...oh and the reliability too ha ha:D Just kidding, Defenders are the ultimate offroad tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Excellent pics there well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I said the easterly wouldn't cold enough for snow, that, in my opinion is more accurate than inaccurate.

Oh, ok.

I don't know much about weather forecasting or the science behind it. I enjoy following this section of Boards and tend to keep reasonably light hearted about the whole thing.

All I know is that we had snow last night, how or why or what the mechanics behind it were I don't know other than it came from a northeasterly direction.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

trogdor wrote: »
    Went on a bit of a trek up the hill leading to the lugala entrance in the wicklow mountains about an hour ago, some pics here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63709867

That looks seriously cold and nasty! Lovely pics though!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I dunno...I'd miss the leather,heated seats, xenon lights...oh and the reliability too ha ha:D Just kidding, Defenders are the ultimate offroad tool.

Yeah, the creature comforts are lacking to say the least, let alone the actual driving experience :eek:

A decent socket set and a credit card and correct set of tyres for anticipted conditions (along with correct tyre pressures) will keep one on (and off) the road for many a year:D

Light rain from the northeast here at the moment, threating sleet with the very occassional snow flake in the mix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yes very snowy images there..... when should we expect this front to move down here around what time? as i am sick to death of this cloud and mild rubbish weather as this front has been here for 3 days now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Having what I'd say is a sleet storm here at the moment. Extremely windy and sleety. Temp has gone up to 4 degrees but down now again to 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Wow, you're not going to believe this..

In Dublin and, guess what, It's raining :(

Supercell wrote: »
    That looks seriously cold and nasty! Lovely pics though!

Yes it was, very wild out there! Certainly not the nicest coming back down the hill with the wind in yer face anyway!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Check out this below, those are tractor tracks in the snow to give you an idea of depth.

There is snow now at the top of that same field and I imagine Scarr is plastered just like it was then under the cloud at the moment.

snowtopia032.jpg

Stick kettle on SC, ill be over for me tea :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Same situation here. Sleety rain. Very messy outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

Gone cold here. more sleet with small bit of snow mixed in.
    Temps drop please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

4.3 Dp 3.1C and finally I can report sleet, though only via the velux...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

francosp wrote: »
    Wow, you're not going to believe this..

In Dublin and, guess what, It's raining :(
    We're flooded out of here, the rain has been heavy all day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sleet is increasingly turning to snow here!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

No snow, but just lost a garden fence here due to the wind.

very wet snow here now, aggh, sooooooooo close....

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Just took a drive Celbridge-Tallaght-Lucan-Celbridge. As I was in Tallaght I took a drive up the hills above Kiltipper Road to see where the snowline was.

At 13:30 there was rain below 450ft, turning to sleety rain above that until something resembling snow at 950ft. This was a changing situation though as it had started sleeting in Tallaght (300ft) by the time I got back down there (14:00) and was sleeting at 200ft on the way to Lucan. That's what it's at now back in Celbridge (220ft).

There is some severe flooding around west Dublin, which even if no snow falls, is going to cause problems when it freezes in the coming days.

Temperature here was 3.7 when I left, now 2.6°C, DP 2.0°C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

How often does the M2 buoy update ?

Temp has been dropping here in newbridge for the last while

from 3.9 @ 10.30 this morning to 2.9 now

DP

from 2.2 @ 10.00 this morning to 1.3 now

2.4 mm of rain today

high windspeed of the day 51.5Km/h (Easterly)@ 2.08 pm
    Average windspeed of 24.1Km/h (Easterly)
    wind chill -1.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Heavy sleet here in Castleknock in West Dublin but it just does not seem cold enough yet to snow despite the terrible wind chill. Despite having a light covering of snow a week ago here and a few light snow showers that has been the extent of it. If it isn't snowing in Annamoe or Roundwood it will not be snowing in West Dublin either. Maybe tomorrow or Friday with a bit of luck but by then the front will have gone although it will be much colder. Anyway I still have all muy pictures from last February diring that week of ice and snow in Dublin.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mothman wrote: »
    4.3 Dp 3.1C and finally I can report sleet, though only via the velux...

Same here - it's 2.5C now and I've finally noticed some sleet on the velux!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

heavy snow here now, temp down to 0.5 on the car!

Wow, full on sneachta now, don't you dare turn back to rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

when is the cold air coming??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

gally74 wrote: »
    heavy snow here now, temp down to 0.5 on the car!

Well if it is snowing in Galway on the west coast then it has to turn to snow here. Dublin is generally colder than Galway and the West.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

gally74 wrote: »
    when is the cold air coming??

This evening but it's starting to dig in now. The snow level is dropping.

• Advertisement

Wow, full on sneachta now, don't you dare turn back to rain!

Good stuff SC! Temp starting to fall here now too :) 4.4C/2.5C now, long way to go til snow here yet though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement