Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dewpoints have turned negative in Balfast, -1c there at 15.50

Dublin still 3/2 but falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Pangea wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Malin head under world highlights lol

All the high winds are in Ireland!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the trough is still northbound, remember it all has to sink south yet! The floods were bad about 3 hours ago it must be really bad now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The blob will still be around in 3 hours anyway, what a mess! :p

3hr-rain.gif

Pretty much as forecast. The low in now deepening a little and starting to push back westwards which has the effect of bulging the frontal zone a little northwards with a little intensification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Supercell wrote: »
    The trend is our friend...

DewPointHistory.gif

OutsideTempHistory.gif

thats some decline - wish the same would happen down south on low level ground!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Serious wind and lots of rain here. Temp has fallen below two for the first time in a couple of days. Watched the weather on Sky news it shows a lot of clear sky from tmrw on.

Temp rising here again as the snow lightens up. Back up to 1.4c. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Gonzo wrote: »
    the trough is still northbound, remember it all has to sink south yet! The floods were bad about 3 hours ago it must be really bad now.

is this LP taking longer to sink south than predicted? it seems to be causing an awful lot of confusion - are temps dropping due to nocturnal reasons or because of cold air filtering down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Deep Easterly:
    Where are you in Galway? It was snowing in Ballybrit an hour ago, but since I'm back in Wellpark, I can see almost no snow... weird? Elevation difference is not that big (10-15m max?)

Edit: yep, so it's not only here... anyway it's gotta turn colder later tonight, I assume...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

thats some decline - wish the same would happen down south on low level ground!

I agree, I'm not entirely convinced it isn't purely diurnal and evaporative, but i'll take it!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Wow oh just wow, DP 0.5 and temp 1.1 ...its starting to look like....

Your temps are interesting SC.

I generally am slightly colder than you but in a gale force easterly, you seem to be colder. I must be getting some warming from the sea. +1.4c here ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Amazing to think this low is just the starter and we could be looking into a really long sever cold spell.

It looks like we will be firmly locked in it till at least next Wednesday at the very earliest.

UKM 144HR CHART

UW144-21.GIF?30-17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

howlinwolf wrote: »
    its been pissing rain here in carlow since yesterday mornin and its still at it ......not a sign of even sleet let alone snow,not even on killeshin hills ? ahh well heres hopin the northeasterly thats settin in will bring some snow to leinster over the comin days...met eireann seem to think so:) but they also thought that last week and i didnt see even a flake ...im expectin the north westerlys to set in any time soon;)

The top of Killeshin, Ballinabranagh that area must have snow at this stage.

Skylights, roofs and cars covered now with the sneacta, good good.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

blizzard-like conditions now. better late than never i guess;)

the wah wah worst cold thread ever is becoming the slightly better cold thread:pac:

Deep Easterly:
    Where are you in Galway? It was snowing in Ballybrit an hour ago, but since I'm back in Wellpark, I can see almost no snow... weird? Elevation difference is not that big (10-15m max?)

Edit: yep, so it's not only here... anyway it's gotta turn colder later tonight, I assume...

Not in the city Figuramtyi, I am just up the N17 in Tuam and quite elevated at 39 metres above sea level.

Not in the city Figuramtyi, I am just up the N17 in Tuam and quite elevated at 39 metres above sea level.

Yeah, I assumed that... anyway, I'll be looking for any info from you, since whatever goes on there should come here as well (hopefully).
    Thank god I don't live in Salthill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

is this in annamoe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I presume that's your station on the IRLWN, what's your height asl?

blizzard-like conditions now. better late than never i guess;)

Congratulations (again) Nacho Libre!

• Advertisement

It was touch and go for the last hour Snaps. Bouts of rain then bouts of snow but snow seems to be winning out over the last 20mins or so. Still no sign of it lying generally though which would be nice but the ground is red rotten wet.

it's starting to stick here paddy1!!

Thank god I don't live in Salthill :D

Ha ha! I lived in Salthill and it does occasionally snow there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Min wrote: »
    The top of Killeshin, Ballinabranagh that area must have snow at this stage.

I dont think Killeshin has any, Ballinbranagh certainly hasnt any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Forget snow, that wind is really something

it's starting to stick here paddy1!!

Of course it is. Just melting on impact here but is also much lighter now as well. That's it, I am moving to Mayo! Prepare the red carpet Nacho! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

roryc1 wrote: »
    Forget snow, that wind is really something

It dies off everynow and again, but the gusts are spectacular

it must be whiteout over at knock airport at the moment. i'm tempted to drive up there.

Ha ha! I lived in Salthill and it does occasionally snow there!

I lived there for some time, and I remember one morning: no snow at all, only rain - went to work to Ballybrit: 10 cm (slushy) snow there :)
    Yeah it all melt completely in a few hours, but still.... the bay is also like a heater in these cases...

Rougies wrote: »
    I presume that's your station on the IRLWN, what's your height asl?

It is, see signature.

• Advertisement

Of course it is. Just melting on impact here but is also much lighter now as well. That's it, I am moving to Mayo! Prepare the red carpet Nacho! :D

haha. finally you've come to your senses:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement