Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

temp rose to 3.1c here now seems that it rises every time the wind strengthens so in turn the temps are rising and dropping every hour between 3c and 2.5c.. im getting tired of this and once more the cloud is taking ages to move down on its own will to annoy me the next thing ill here is the cloud has stalled!!!!!!!!! ARGGG ARG!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Supercell wrote: »
    It is, see signature.

Ah ok, thanks. I can't see signatures when I'm logged in though. Hmm.
    Is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I lived there for some time, and I remember one morning: no snow at all, only rain - went to work to Ballybrit: 10 cm (slushy) snow there :)
    Yeah it all melt completely in a few hours, but still.... the bay is also like a heater in these cases...

Very true Figuramtyi. On the plus side standing on the Bay in a force 10/11 gale is one of the most awesome and humbling experiences that can be had regarding weather in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rougies wrote: »
    Is this normal?
    Dunno, station url - www.annamoe.net
    ASL - 204 metres. More importantly in these scenarios is my proximity to Scarr mountain - snow settles here lower down than closer to the coast and orographic lift helps too in a NE airflow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Is this normal?

You cant see the link 'annamoe weather' under his post? Perhaps you have signatures turned off in your control panel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Very true Figuramtyi. On the plus side standing on the Bay in a force 10/11 gale is one of the most awesome and humbling experiences that can be had regarding weather in Ireland :)

O yeah I can definitely confirm. I remember Xmas and NYE in 2006! Amazing gales...

Is this normal?
    You must have them switched off in your user cp?
    Click on that and change the option.

Meanwhile,I see the met think only some of the showers tomorrow will be of snow...

However, coastal counties of the northwest, north and east will have occasional wintry showers, some falling as snow.

Are they going daft or what! or did Gerry murphy write that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

You must have them switched off in your user cp?
    Click on that and change the option.

Yep that was it, cheers!

Temp back up to 1.7c here and now mostly rain again zbanghead.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

However, coastal counties of the northwest, north and east will have occasional wintry showers, some falling as snow.

Are they going daft or what! or did Gerry murphy write that. .
    Just keeping me happy...;)
    I'll see rain tomorrow though I'm sure I'll see snow as well and if showers are heavy enough a temporary sticking

• Advertisement

Blues appearing over Scotland on Xcweather again, encouraging, as are the negative DP's to the north.
    M2 bouy still stubbornly high at 3.1 though..its not game ball until that goes sub 2 imho

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

it's starting to stick here paddy1!!

where are you?

Mothman wrote: »
    Just keeping me happy...;)
    I'll see rain tomorrow though I'm sure I'll see snow as well and if showers are heavy enough a temporary sticking
    Turning rapidly here now-a lot of wet flakes in it
    temp down to 2.5c dew is a stubburn 2.1c

Turning rapidly here now-a lot of wet flakes in it
    temp down to 2.5c dew is a stubburn 2.1c

Yep, that Dew point just will not fall! :mad:

Raining again here, snow gone from roofs and slush on the frozen patchs melted. Mother nature is toying with me.
    Temp 1.1 DP 0.7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

My temps seem to be gradually rising again, now 3.3c, DP of 2.1c......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

back to sleet with and snow in the mix now. this alternation looks to the theme overnight now according to the latest weather report.

snaps wrote: »
    where are you?

I think Nacho is from around the Swinford area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Raintoday has alf the country covered in sleet with a little snow thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Met eireann outlook
    The first week in 2010 is set to be bitterly cold with a direct feed of Polar air down over Ireland. Heavy snow showers are likely and very severe frosts. Daytime temperatures will hardly rise above freezing at best with icy conditions persisting all day in many areas and nightime minima will fall below -5 degrees and in places below minus 10 degrees. Friday (New Year's Day): Heavy snow showers likely over Ulster. Sunny spells and scattered snow showers possible over Connacht and Leinster and mainly dry over Munster. Daytime temperatures around zero. Friday night minima of zero to -6 degrees. Saturday & Sunday: Some sunny spells but scattered heavy snow showers likely….. all areas at risk but most especially Ulster and Leinster. Daytime temperatures around zero dropping to between -5 and -10 at night.

Good job I took next week off as well to get stuff in house done;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Met eireann outlook
    The first week in 2010 is set to be bitterly cold with a direct feed of Polar air down over Ireland. Heavy snow showers are likely and very severe frosts. Daytime temperatures will hardly rise above freezing at best with icy conditions persisting all day in many areas and nightime minima will fall below -5 degrees and in places below minus 10 degrees. Friday (New Year's Day): Heavy snow showers likely over Ulster. Sunny spells and scattered snow showers possible over Connacht and Leinster and mainly dry over Munster. Daytime temperatures around zero. Friday night minima of zero to -6 degrees. Saturday & Sunday: Some sunny spells but scattered heavy snow showers likely….. all areas at risk but most especially Ulster and Leinster. Daytime temperatures around zero dropping to between -5 and -10 at night.

Good job I took next week off as well to get stuff in house done;)

I hope what you need to do is indoors....otherwise your Testies will fall off :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Fax chart for tomorrow evening

fax24s.gif

Maybe some beefy snow showers in coastal counties of Leinster and possibly Ulster and skirting the Northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

I dont think Killeshin has any, Ballinbranagh certainly hasnt any.

i was out and about just before dark and it was lashin rain and i looked up at killeshin hills and there wasnt a bit of white 2 be seen ....not sure since it got dark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Good news from Ballinrobe, Mayo......Snowing like mad! Also temp is dropping at last 1.3c now

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

2.3C here now, still with the sleety rain. The wind has picked up a lot, though, gusts are rocking the top of a lamppost out on the road, let alone the trees. The light is oscillating by about 20cm in the harder gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dreadful out there.

Raging gales and sheets of icy rain flying in from the east.

If only they were sheets of snow. All we need is 2c decline!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

looks like snow :D wet snow ....

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Absolutely pegging down Snow here above Kilteel 800ft+ASL. Been snowing for about 2 Hours now. There must be 2-3cm down at least already. 1/2 a mile away its falling as sleet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Raintoday has alf the country covered in sleet with a little snow thrown in

It would be showing snow over high ground, and rain to lower ground, as that is the forecast its working to. In reality, all the radar can detect is if there is precip, the radar cant distingush what the precip is, so the software uses the weather forecast last input. In situations like we have at the moment where things are on a knifeedge and actual precip may or may not be the type that is actually forecast, it is absloutely useless for telling what type of precip is actually falling.

For example a couple of nights ago it was showing widespread heavy snow over the whole of Wicklow and extending into south dublin as far as the M50. Because it could see precip there, and the forecast input told it precip at those heights would be snow. But as we know, it actually fell as rain.

It also seems to be over sensitive, light colours seem to correspond to precip that does not reach the ground, so it seems preip only actually occurs on the ground under areas where it shows darker colours.

I was swearing by it until these things became apparent. For the last few days I havn't bothered looking at it as its only good for telling where the precip is, and I have been able to tell by just looking/going outside that it is over me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I hope what you need to do is indoors....otherwise your Testies will fall off :D

Aye paint walls etc nice one:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement