Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

owenc wrote: »
    lastest sat image shows front picking up speed and moving south at last!!!!!!!

which front you talking about? The low we have above us seems to be moving NW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Very surprised as we have full scale blizzard conditions here in lowland Galway. Still not lying though but it is snow.

Thats good news for us city dwellers - I hope :D

Loughrea and Moycullen too? Closing in on us, eventually :D
    Wish I had winter tyres, would be in Connemara tomorrow in no time....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

blizzard here in moycullen backroads all white

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    which front you talking about? The low we have above us seems to be moving NW

The one over the entire british isles.. it is heading southwards now from the north of scotland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

trogdor wrote: »
    Finally gone below 4 degrees here!:p temp currently 3.9C/2.3C

Fingers are crossed for you Peter that they will drop to favourable snow level before this front clears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I didn't think an aul married man like yerself would have taste as good as that:P

Meh-it's Eveyln Cusack all the way Raaaaaar :D
    The ramping is such a turn on? :p

I was also refering to earlier post

3.7C Dp2.6C

24mm today
    2 day total 41mm
    30mm past 24hours

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

all the snow in Galway and Mayo today and he cant even say the word:pac:

hoody wrote: »
    Heavy, sticky snow here (Loughrea) now :D

Good news for those of us further west!

Good news for those of us further west!

Indeed!
    Pretty excited already, have to run to window every 2 mins to check condition :) Lots of snow falling again here too!

Btw I'm from Hungary, spent the last 3 weeks there, we had 20 cm snow on the 19th, with max daytime temps of -5, -8 (!), and on the 21st morning we had -19 (!) degrees.

That is still nothing yet, we had +21 degrees on the 24th - all the snow gone. Not to mention +40 degrees increase in 72 hours.
    Can you even imagine that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ffarrell wrote: »
    As I say that Carrickmacross goon (Gerry Murphy) :mad:is so coy....you would swear he is guarding the state secrets thae way he gives the weather. ..

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Mild air just fringing the south coast now. Roches Point up to 9 C...

Wind is increasing further here. 19mph 10 min mean

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Here in D11 the rain has gotten more sleaty going by what fell on my windscreen. Horrible horrible night, take care out there if you need to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The one over the entire british isles.. it is heading southwards now from the north of scotland..

There is no low over the British Isles, the only low that is coming into play with our weather is the one off the SW coast of Ireland

Indeed!
    Pretty excited already, have to run to window every 2 mins to check condition :) Lots of snow falling again here too!

Btw I'm from Hungary, spent the last 3 weeks there, we had 20 cm snow on the 19th, with max daytime temps of -5, -8 (!), and on the 21st morning we had -19 (!) degrees.

That is still nothing yet, we had +21 degrees on the 24th - all the snow gone. Not to mention +40 degrees increase in 72 hours.
    Can you even imagine that? :D

That must be incredible! I am sure you must find our Irish snow and frost very meek by comparison :o

Full snow now, no rain! Simply stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Thought it was thunder but it was a 51mph gust :eek: :eek:

I think this may be my strongest easterly gust ever although the gust direction was northerly.
    10 min mean 21 mph

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Now theres a ramp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Don't know about anyone else, but the temperature has slightly increased here over the last thirty minutes, gone from 2.4 C to 2.7C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Air temp 2.9c, DP 1.5c, a slight drop......

• Advertisement

That must be incredible! I am sure you must find our Irish snow and frost very meek by comparison :o

I actually find this huge-flaked crazy sleetish snow very impressive :) snow in -5 is much different (also rare even in Hungary). I really don't care what kind of snow it is, I love this one too now!
    Especially now that it's really snow falling atm! The intensity just made the sidewalk white already outside my house - it makes up for the positive T.

That 40 degree ride was insane, I don't remember anything like that before... my head wanted to explore for 2 days straight. Just not good :(

Wowee it is really wild out there now with heavy blowing snow. Everything is howling like mad!!:D:D:D:D:D

Mothman wrote: »
    Thought it was thunder but it was a 51mph gust :eek: :eek:

I think this may be my strongest easterly gust ever although the gust direction was northerly.
    10 min mean 21 mph

Getting a few house shakers here now to MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

True; Feast of the Epiphany; January 6th... t
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    xmas time doesn't officially end until 5th Jan or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Its snowing in Rathdrum! huge flakes coming down.

Were walking in the aiiiirrrrr....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Snowing in Aughrim at last!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Coming down heavy now in Galway :D:D, after watching the forecast after the 6pm news on RTE I was wondering if the Met Eireann guy is on the same planet as us, he used rain more times and said it would only snow on hills.

Yet we watched a report on the news from Mayo and Knock Airport where it was coming down in buckets and even a live report showing snow, they really are afraid to mention the S word in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its snowing in Rathdrum! huge flakes coming down.

Were walking in the aiiiirrrrr....!!

Tis nicely coming down here in Annamoe too, winter wonderland
    here we come!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sleet in Sandyford. Strong gusting winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

winds have eased here now and the pathetic rain thats been falling all day has stopped. what an utter kick in the teeth. as for the 6 o clock news report, it reported the worst of the conditions are now in county mayo. with fairly widespread snowfall except coastal extremities (inland parts i imagine, knock looks particularly bad)

all in all rather disapointing considering there was potential for a widespread snow event across the country without the usual marginal muck , terms and conditions scenario.

and finally gerry murphy provided his usual downbeat, drab uninspiring forecast. yes it will be cold , nothing noteworthy going by him and some fluries on east and north coasts tomorrow.

oh the rain started again
    il be throwing this laptop out the window soon

day 12 now that iv been waiting to see a snowflake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement