Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Heavy falls of no, here in Swords. Everything is non-white and it's been 'sticking' all day. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Still sleet here and fence blown over...

Not a snow flake in sight, but 2 degrees now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Blizzard is here. Cars, sidewalk white already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Pretty much round 3c here all day, currently 3.1c, DP 1.9c. Stil NE winds of 20 - 40km and gusts up to 60km.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A howling gale.. see the thread "There and back and in between.."

Reminds me of island days, feeding stock in 124 mph gusts

It has been sleet/ snow/ rain in Town etc on and sometimes off, since first light; some has stuck up here thinly on the road.

We live to fight another day.

NB the phone is in trouble so this connection is almost all my communications now
    paddybar wrote: »
    welcome back Grace.how bad is it where you are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

day 12 now that iv been waiting to see a snowflake.

9 years, 4 days and counting.....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Tentative signs of sticking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Heavy snow here now. Big temp fluctuations. Down to +0.8c. Still not sticking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

day 12 now that iv been waiting to see a snowflake.

If it's any consolation, nothing but driving rain in Sligo either.

But having spent four hours on St. Stephens day hacking my driveway free of iced over snow remnants with my little spade going up and down like a jackhammer (4 hours!) and still having the blisters to show for it ...I'm quite glad to have drawn the "no snow" card today ...because it would just end up as ice again over the next few days.

Now, a real SNOW event like in 2000, yes that would be nice ...but that icy mess everybody is experiencing ...no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I give up! :( I'm going outside to play in the wind and rain! Make a rain man and fly a kite. Temps gradually rising again!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

and finally gerry murphy provided his usual downbeat, drab uninspiring forecast. yes it will be cold , nothing noteworthy going by him and some fluries on east and north coasts tomorrow.

as i've said before never watch a gerry murphy forecast if you're a snow fan. the man has a fear of mentioning the s word.

meanwhile, this slush will cause problems when it eventually freezes later tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

At least 3 to 4 cms here in Moycullen Galway am at an elevation of 40m if that makes much difference .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very heavy proper snow now in Galway city all sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

another heavy band of something heading up from cork now

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Very heavy proper snow now in Galway city all sticking

Indeed, it's a whiteout! If it keeps on for 2-3 hours, we should have up to 3-5 cm minimum!
    Cars, grass, sidewalk already white, next to come: roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

snaps wrote: »
    another heavy band of something heading up from cork now

yeah it is very heavy here right now - lashing rain and windy! not a hint of snow probably as its mild air.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kenskool

you are so lucky in galway!! i want snow:mad:! only rain and some sleet here:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Mothman wrote: »
    Thought it was thunder but it was a 51mph gust :eek: :eek:

I think this may be my strongest easterly gust ever although the gust direction was northerly.
    10 min mean 21 mph

Very unusual wind. Seeing the trees today nearby bending in the opposite of their usual way - and the way the wind dies down and then rises - you could hear it risng several hundred metres away before the gust would get to you. Easterly gales are very rare here inland, but we've had gale gusts today here.

Oh and its still raining despite a brief flirtation with sleet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Big White fluffy flakes of loveliness pelting down here and it's sticking :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Fionagus wrote: »
    Big White fluffy flakes of loveliness pelting down here and it's sticking :D:D

what is it with galway and snow? how high is the place? all i remember about galway and weather was flooding in salthill. here its just heavy rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I think all Galway people should be barred....so sick of hearing about your big fluffy flakes of snow !!!!! Isn't envy a terrible thing !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Can anybody explain to me the science of snow sticking on not just wet ground but very wet ground ? We have close on 4 cms here in Moycullen but 2 hours ago the place was just wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Patience has been worn through across much of the east by this stage i would imagine.

This front is certainly stalling and holding its on at the moment, definate encroachment of cold air under it, slowly slowly slowly.

When will the snow fall?

I said this morning i expected wet snow from 9pm this evening, i reckon it might be 10pm at this stage but i still think it WILL come this evening!

what is it with galway and snow? how high is the place? all i remember about galway and weather was flooding in salthill. here its just heavy rain!

I'm only about 15-20m from sea level and it's sticking everywhere now. Not in the harbor tho: http://www.galway.net/about/webcam/ You will get the idea of the intensity anyway.

HUGE flakes, insane intensity, gale - blizzard it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I hope you're right WC !

Rain has turned to Sleet here now.

I hope the change comes soon.

I do think the next 3/4 hours will see the final progression.

Hopefully we will get a few hours of snow, hopefully the front puts up a very big fight before exiting.

I think the heaviest snowfalls will be across the midwest as this thing exits, the heaviest precip is here and it should all turn
    to snow in the next few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Conditions getting pretty serious out there. As much as it pains me to say it, Gerry Murphy seems to have totally ignored what is happening here in the west in his last forecast. That last forecast just seem to be a big "your not important" to anyone west of the Shannon. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Patience has been worn through across much of the east by this stage i would imagine.

This front is certainly stalling and holding its on at the moment, definate encroachment of cold air under it, slowly slowly slowly.

When will the snow fall?

I said this morning i expected wet snow from 9pm this evening, i reckon it might be 10pm at this stage but i still think it WILL come this evening!

We'll say nothing. I think we can allow +- 2 hours on this occasion. But you know the punishment if you are wrong? Permanent ban.

We'll say nothing. I think we can allow +- 2 hours on this occasion. But you know the punishment if you are wrong? Permanent ban.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

46.5mm of rain here since it started yesterday.

2.3c atm DP 2.1c - blowing a gale - heavy, very icy rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement