Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Denial is bad :) see pic from Storm 10

Note: it only started roughly an hour ago just :D

Radar is great too :)

Whenever I open the window for 3-4 seconds, I have at least 3-4 huge snowflakes in my hair falling off after that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sean555 wrote: »
    Can anybody explain to me the science of snow sticking on not just wet ground but very wet ground ? We have close on 4 cms here in Moycullen but 2 hours ago the place was just wet.
    If you have 4 cm of lying snow then the air temperature is obviously close to 0c and if the air temp is close to 0c then why shouldn't the ground temp be also close to 0c? Only the temperature of the air will melt snow and nothing else, even sunshine wont melt snow if the air temperature is below freezing.
    A place like Montreal for example lies at roughly the same latitude as Madrid, Athens or Rome yet would have deep snow lying even in March when you'd expect the sunshine to be strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

OMG please don't hate us, but what we have here NOW is just undescribable.... flakes as big as my palm, and intensity 10 out of 10.... I have NEVER seen anything like that, even in Hungary, and I'm 35!!
    I hate you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing heavy in glenties i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OK; so where is what has been falling all day coming from?

Do we still have the "Snow map" It would be interesting tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Cheers Elmo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

If you have 4 cm of lying snow then the air temperature is obviously close to 0c and if the air temp is close to 0c then why shouldn't the ground temp be also close to 0c? Only the temperature of the air will melt snow and nothing else, even sunshine wont melt snow if the air temperature is below freezing.
    A place like Montreal for example lies at roughly the same latitude as Madrid, Athens or Rome yet would have deep snow lying even in March when you'd expect the sunshine to be strong.

I suppose a zero or sub-zero dewpoint might have something to do with it as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Turning rapidly back to sleep here but increasing slightly in intensity again. 13.5mm so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snow is accumulating here now, hope it brings the sneachta to Dublin too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I would really love to see Connemara tomorrow morning.
    Of course, that's if I had a 4x4 with snow chains :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Denial is bad :) see pic from Storm 10

Note: it only started roughly an hour ago just :D

Radar is great too :)

Whenever I open the window for 3-4 seconds, I have at least 3-4 huge snowflakes in my hair falling off after that :D

Are you sure you don't just have bad dandruff? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Pangea wrote: »
    Snowing heavy in glenties i heard.

What do you reckon the chances are for Ardara then???:D

They might have to get mountain rescue out again tomorrow to deliver the shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Just after driving through Galway city and the snow is intense, the nearest to blizzard conditions I've ever seen. The flakes are huge too.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Turning rapidly back to sleep here but increasing slightly in intensity again. 13.5mm so far today.

Time for a break DE, think your brain is trying to tell you something !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Pictures taken 19.50 - 30/12/2009 Galway City !!!! :D ( I know your Jealous )
    dscf1711.jpg
    -
    dscf1701.jpg
    -
    dscf1697.jpg
    -
    dscf1705c.jpg

Really Heavy Snowfall cant see it lifting over night or tomorrow as temp are'nt rising above "0"Degrees. Serious size snow flakes !!:D

snow ghost wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't just have bad dandruff? :)

Well, there's a point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snow?

nah it just got very gusty for a while. it's back to rain and sleet now:rolleyes:

nah it just got very gusty for a while. it's back to rain and sleet now:rolleyes:

That's strange... still 100% pure snow in Galway city... the size of the flakes is frightening, just as the local fellas said above!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I love Met Eireann website it says its raining in Galway :rolleyes:

Time for a break DE, think your brain is trying to tell you something !!!:D

I will have to learn to type slower! :o More and more to rain now, so maybe Gerry was right in his call afterall. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

galway

sticking rain and now sleep, this day has had it all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

candy19 wrote: »
    What do you reckon the chances are for Ardara then???:D

They might have to get mountain rescue out again tomorrow to deliver the shopping!
    lol id say maybe u have a good chance :D
    did they really get rescue to deliver the shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Strong winds, rain and sleet here in North Clare

3fullback wrote: »
    dscf1711.jpg
    -
    dscf1701.jpg
    -
    dscf1697.jpg
    -
    dscf1705c.jpg

Really Heavy Snowfall cant see it lifting over night or tomorrow as temp are'nt rising above "0"Degrees. Serious size snow flakes !!:D

:mad::mad::mad:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Right ! That's it ! :rolleyes: Longboat being dispatched from Dublin to pillage some of that white stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

hoody wrote: »
    Heavy, sticky snow here (Loughrea) now :D

Aww. I wish i was in my own house in Loughrea looking at the lovely snow,instead of being in Dublin in my mother's house looking at the horrible lashing rain. Of course,if i was in Loughrea it wouldn't be snowing cos im always in the wrong place when it snows:(

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Pangea wrote: »
    lol id say maybe u have a good chance :D
    did they really get rescue to deliver the shopping?

Yea I'm deadly serious, Up the 'glen of glenties' and also in some parts of Glencolmcille! Think it was on monday it happened.

Also this having no water isn't too pleasant!:mad:

Whats the conditions like with you?

Big snowflakes usually are a sign that rain is very near. Sorry to ruin your buzz but I need to drag as many down with me to my rain hut. :D

Only messin' Nice pics. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

calming slightly in galway last half hour was unreal out with dog for walk i swear to god the flakes were huge lashing me in the face etc dog had enough after 5 minutes i stayed out! great stuff:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement