Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Here you see why its milder.

The low has buffeted slightly further north than some anticipations.

It will wind up abit ( the mild airs last hurrah?) and then quickly dive into the Atlantic overnight with severe Gales possible in the southwest.

Rtavn062.png

but do you have any hints for us to watch so we know when this horror will leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The cold air will have advanced to the south coast by 5am tomorrow.

But i expect a turn in temps/Dps from this afternoon.

Rtavn242.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Went out for a walk up the fields there and I was shocked to find the ground is still frozen in most parts! This is despite >24hours of rain and milder temperatures. A couple of trees down too, clearly not used to such strong winds from the east. Also a lot of flooding ...miserable

The cold air will have advanced to the south coast by 5am tomorrow.

But i expect a turn in temps/Dps from this afternoon.

Rtavn242.png

ok thanks for the info will be watching temps... when should this low start to advance south from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

anybody know if there is snow lying in Laragh have to make a trip up but may not go if roads are bad?
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

JonnyM wrote: »
    anybody know if there is snow lying in Laragh have to make a trip up but may not go if roads are bad?
    cheers
    Supercell mentioned snowline being 400m.
    This would mean no snow at Laragh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just seen this on iol

"There will be widespread freezing on the roads tomorrow night and for New Year's Day," said Evelyn Cusack of Met Éireann.

"The first week of 2010 looks like being bitterly cold. We are going to have polar air right down across Ireland, producing snow showers particularly in Ulster.

"We are going to have very very severe frost, air temperatures below -5, down to -10 at night."

Who is this prophetess of doom!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Mothman wrote: »

Ah, thank you; I keep trying to answer but the connection keeps cutting out; must be the sleet/snow up here..:rolleyes:
    ccoyle wrote: »
    Did you get the pm ??

OH I see!!

Sorry!!

:D

The weather has gone to my brain..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep, but imagine there will be tonight after around 10PM or so.
    Also the back roads are still utterly impassible with ice - Oldbridge is extremely icy for example and only accessible with extreme caution.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Couple of snow flakes mixed with this rain here now. Not much but something at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yes, I noted that the LP has advanced a bit further NE than I expected when I checked yr.no late last night. I can't tell exactly what the medium term consequences are, but I'll hazard a guess and say that the snow will come in on Thursday/Friday at a more northerly tangent. Watch out NI.

Speaking of which, I'm off there now for New Year's.:D Have fun and don't get too upset if dewpoints go awry!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

still sleeting here - we had what could only be described as "a covering" about midnight but it's melted now.
    Maghera has a covering - that's the view from my bedroom window.

Got to go out in it now and sort out the animals....joy...

How's the headache?

I used to have a whole farmyard of critters. You will get a great welcome!
    still sleeting here - we had what could only be described as "a covering" about midnight but it's melted now.
    Maghera has a covering - that's the view from my bedroom window.

Got to go out in it now and sort out the animals....joy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Warmed up a bit in Galway, up to 2.3 now.
    The rain over night has washed away all yesterdays snow.
    Still spitting rain a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

rained all day yesterday and last night,still rainin a little now though its startin to brighten up a bit....so much for the snowstorm..ha ha ...even the hills havent any snow...what a country eh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

I use this site to check the weather forecast, www.wunderground.com. It's very accurate up to 3 days although it has predictions for up to a week. It get's updated constantly. It gives a 40% chance of snow for later on today in Dublin and a 20% chance for the next couple of days. Sunny weekend and extremely cold for the beggining of next week.
    You can get weather stickers as well!

heavy rain and winds all night and all morning. if we ever do get snow here now, Ill pass out. because unless it freezes really hard tonight, nothing will stick anyway.
    Mind you, tomorrow is a Lunar Eclipse, also a Blue moon, which is about the only us Dubs get any decent snow, is when there is a blue moon..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

morning all - anything nice happen over night ?? Just bitter here even though its 5.1 with a dp of 3:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Sleet here, temperatures are higher than any time yesterday but not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

rain yesterday, rain last night, rain today.
    gas stuff.
    going now to a quite room to scream
    and curse.

is it just me or is the front heading south now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nothing here at all. Cold and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Having a run through the model guidance i will provide condtions for North Dublin.

1200 - Dewpoints +2.5c/ Light Rain
    1500 - Dewpoints +1.5c/ Moderate Rain
    1800 - Dewpoints +0.5c/ Moderate Sleet
    2100 - Dewpoints +0.0c/ Moderate Wet Snow
    2400 - Dewpoints -0.5c/ Mod Snow
    0300 - Dewpoints -1.0c/ Light Snow
    0600 - Dewpoints -1.5c/ Dry
    0900 - Dewpoints -1.5c/ Dry

1200 - 30mph G45
    1500 - 35mph G50
    1800 - 45mph G65
    2100 - 40mph G60

2400 - 35mph
    0300 - 25mph
    0600 - 20mph
    0900 - 20mph

Also High winds around Dublin region today.

Also widespread gales from evening, with some really big winds likely as the low exits southwest Ireland tonight.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Damp and very windy here in NE Galway, I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

So much for putting some fleece over my Griselinia hedge on Monday evening to try and save it from the frost, almost been blown off at this stage :rolleyes:.

Latest sat image shows the front has indeed progressed further north than expected (bringing mild air with it). As soon as it starts to move back down, then the temps should start to drop. Plenty of showers to the NW too.

Classic polar low (comma-shape) can be seen to the north of Norway, now if only one of those could form just south of Iceland.....

I am expecting some serious snow to arrive just as most of us as returning to work and school next week, sod's law.

?area=europe;type=infrared;width=650;height=650;time=2009-12-30T10:45:10Z;authkey=fXCFZaHqx;

Having a run through the model guidance i will provide condtions for North Dublin.

;)

WC, could I put upon you ,kind sir, to do the same for us westies? in Dublin

Thanks if you can :o

;)

oh ok so by 6pm up here we should expect snow well that will do me as long as it happens!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Damp and very windy here in NE Galway, I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

So much for putting some fleece over my Griselinia hedge on Monday evening to try and save it from the frost, almost been blown off at this stage :rolleyes:.

Latest sat image shows the front has indeed progressed further north than expected (bringing mild air with it). As soon as it starts to move back down, then the temps should start to drop. Plenty of showers to the NW too.

Classic polar low (comma-shape) can be seen to the north of Norway, now if only one of those could form just south of Iceland.....

I am expecting some serious snow to arrive just as most of us as returning to work and school next week, sod's law.

?area=europe;type=infrared;width=650;height=650;time=2009-12-30T10:45:10Z;authkey=fXCFZaHqx;
    Unfortunately some of us are back in work since the 28th.....

• Advertisement

I tell yis what, I wasnt expecting these strong winds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement