Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13.1 miles in < 100 minutes

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

6 days off plus physio routine, he said I coud run today, got to about a mile before knee started playing up so walked home. It seems any sort of downhill causes it to flare up.
    Will give it a couple of days and try the treadmill incline 0.

On the positive side I've a fair few miles in the bank and the mile I did today was fine. :cool::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tough break man. What was the diagnosos on the knee?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Tough break man. What was the diagnosos on the knee?

The old reliable, runners knee/ITBS.
    I have a weak arse apparently ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Hope it clears up soon. Signed up for Kildare yesterday, see you there!

ronanmac wrote: »
    Hope it clears up soon. Signed up for Kildare yesterday, see you there!

Cheers man, I'm still in two minds, I know the closing date is next week so time is against me but at this stage it's a no no, knee is still a bit tender to touch. I will try and get a second opinion this weekend, travelling up from the country to the big schmoke a Sathurday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Sub430 wrote: »
    The old reliable, runners knee/ITBS.
    I have a weak arse apparently ;)

Bummer.........;)

Sorry to hear this Sub430. Will be rooting for you on the 2nd opinion / treatment front.

That's tough man, and your training was going so well. Any ideas what is causing the knee pain?
    What will be the target if you don't do the Kildare hal? race series I suppose? If you are about, a few of us will be meeting for a pint after the great ireland run on sunday. Would be nice to say hello.

RedB wrote: »
    Bummer.........;)

Sorry to hear this Sub430. Will be rooting for you on the 2nd opinion / treatment front.

:) I like the fact you had to underline it just in case the penny didn't drop, it's me arse that's injured not me brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

:) I like the fact you had to underline it just in case the penny didn't drop, it's me arse that's injured not me brain.

:) Didn't want you to think I was just being flippant and I usually have to reread posts where I miss stuff like that and others are LOL-ing :p. Got myself into trouble on another thread also where I wasn't as clear with why I was saying something and now MarieC is aiming to kick my ass in Limerick :D.

That's tough man, and your training was going so well. Any ideas what is causing the knee pain?
    What will be the target if you don't do the Kildare hal? race series I suppose? If you are about, a few of us will be meeting for a pint after the great ireland run on sunday. Would be nice to say hello.

According to the physio (well my understanding of it) my glutes are much weaker than my hamstrings and quads. This increases the tension in my ITB which then catches on the bony point of my knee, friction causes the pain so need to get the glutes strengthened, stretch the TFL and roll the ITB. AOK?

Added to this I have strained, pulled and stretched ligaments on my left ankle on numerous occasions playing football so it does not have full movement anymore despite physio. Apparently my left knee overcompensates for this as the miles pass, I tire and my running form changes.

Rereading that maybe I should be joining Boxer at the glue factory.

• Advertisement

Rereading that maybe I should be joining Boxer at the glue factory.

Ah no!! I reckon that the bit about your running form changing as you tire is very Poignant. I did my last gait test after a 10 mile run and i am sure that i am neutral when fresh, just not so after a load of miles. If you read the thread about Gait testing ont he main forum I think the advice from Tunney is very apt- Neutral runners need a little bit more support in their shoe for long heavy sessions. I would advise maybe getting yourself a pair of Wave inspire for your longer or tougher sessions when you recover.

My ankle has completely recovered since I started to use the Asics DX trainers- and they are only slight support shoes- they are still perfectly good for neutral runners, they just give a little more support as you tire.

Ah no!! I reckon that the bit about your running form changing as you tire is very Poignant. I did my last gait test after a 10 mile run and i am sure that i am neutral when fresh, just not so after a load of miles. If you read the thread about Gait testing ont he main forum I think the advice from Tunney is very apt- Neutral runners need a little bit more support in their shoe for long heavy sessions. I would advise maybe getting yourself a pair of Wave inspire for your longer or tougher sessions when you recover.

My ankle has completely recovered since I started to use the Asics DX trainers- and they are only slight support shoes- they are still perfectly good for neutral runners, they just give a little more support as you tire.

I have a second opinion tomorrow at the Portobello Clinic, physio recommended on the main forum and by a friend so will run it past her.

On my last run I purposely wore the Brooks as they have more support than the Mizunos but they didn't help. I think there may be deeper problems than just gait. Sure we'll see!

As for next race, hmmm, I really don't know, I suppose Adidas series but with a baby due in rarely September we'll have too about that too.

I went to the Portobello Physiotherpay Clinic and was suitably impressed, thanks to the referrers on the main forum. I've been to some physios before but to be honest that was the first proper physio I have been to.

The diagnosis was different to the others I received, all my problems are down to my left ankle, as a result of the stiffness there, my hip muscles down the left hand side are also weak. This was so clear when I did one legged squats in front of the mirror - right leg, nice and straight, left leg - holy sh1t, snake hips, all over the gaff. My left stride is also a lot shorter than my right due to the lack of flexibility in my ankle. :eek:

She gave me a sheet of printed diagrams of the execises that I need to do, previous to this the best I got from physios were stickmen scribbled on a page. She also said full flexibility of the ankle should be possible if I keep up the exercises, I had written that ankle off as eternally gammy :)

The treatment was new to me too, trigger point needling to relieve the stress in the ITB - what an odd sensation that is

I'm allowed try a 2 miler tomorrow and if this goes well then 3 runs maximum next week. Looks like Kildare is off then, no point just jogging it. If the entry is still available in 10 days then maybe :rolleyes: Not too disheartened though, just looking forward to getting back out there.

Might as well put this to bed.
    88 mins for the Mullingar half yesterday,
    Exactly 3000 days after this log started :eek:
    I've had a few years off since then though.

Never give up eh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Itziger

Might as well put this to bed.
    88 mins for the Mullingar half yesterday,
    Exactly 3000 days after this log started :eek:
    I've had a few years off since then though.

Never give up eh :)
    Jaysus, fill us in the old missing 8 years for those of us who don't know you. Is 1.28 a new PB then? When did ya break the 1.40? Is the ankle/ITB/glute ok? Are you a Wenger supporter?
    And so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Itziger wrote: »
    Jaysus, fill us in the old missing 8 years for those of us who don't know you. Is 1.28 a new PB then? When did ya break the 1.40? Is the ankle/ITB/glute ok? Are you a Wenger supporter?
    And so on.

Did the 2 mile run go well back in April 2010?!?

Singer wrote: »
    Did the 2 mile run go well back in April 2010?!?

:)

It never happened.

After the 13 miler where I felt the horrible crunch of bone on bone, I didn't run again for over 5 years.

Long story short, I saw a few experts and they all gave various diagnoses, rest, stretching, surgery, cortisone...I plumped for the cortisone...then had a reaction so the knee ballooned.

That was game over for me, I couldn't walk properly let alone run.

I spent the next few months wallowing in self pity wondering if I'd ever run again.

Eventually I got back to playing a bit of 5 a side to keep fit and I was happy enough but in the back of my mind, there was a voice saying "maybe just try a mile and see how you get on".

I'd try a mile, but my knee would start burning after half a mile.

I'd try a few weeks later - same result.

I eventually gave up completely.

Until Summer 2015, I ran half a mile without pain, then 3/4, then a mile.

Cue Rocky music in my head.

By the end of Summer 2015 I could run 5ks again.

I gave up the 5 a side in 2016 (38 at that stage, too many young lads coming through!) to concentrate on running.

"Jaysus, fill us in the old missing 8 years for those of us who don't know you. Is 1.28 a new PB then? When did ya break the 1.40? Is the ankle/ITB/glute ok? Are you a Wenger supporter?
    And so on"

I ran 1:43 for a half in August 2016 but died a terrible death over the last few k.

Since then I've been concentrating on the 5k and the training is improving my endurance. To be fair I never thought I'd break 130 for the half so was surprised but effing delighted to do so on Sunday

Maybe I'll try the longer stuff again...

SHUT UP KNEE.

As for Arsene...he'll leave with the Europa Cup. It's in the stars.

Advertisement