Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more spam at the top of the "Latest Forum Posts" list on the main page...

Options
  • 30-12-2009 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Please keep it that way :)

I really didn't like when there were ads at the top of that list for competitions endorsed by Boards etc.

That's my feedback for today.

Thanks,
    Herbal
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

I don't like how the announcements have crept back into the Subbed list view. That's something I'd like to see changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

''No more apples in the vending machine,please''.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Agreed. With the site annoucnements, I mean. Not that bothered by the apples.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Why are the site announcements unwelcome? And what do *you* understand a "site announcement" to be?

Is it when we have a new announcement in our Announcement forum and then one or maybe 2 lines of text appear on the homepage? Do you not find them interesting or useful? How should we display them, so?

Thanks for the input,

Darragh

• Advertisement

I like them. Have won some tickets already. Wouldn't have seen them otherwise. I agree with them not showing up in the subbed menu, but definitely should come up on the main menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Darragh wrote: »
    Why are the site announcements unwelcome? And what do *you* understand a "site announcement" to be?

Is it when we have a new announcement in our Announcement forum and then one or maybe 2 lines of text appear on the homepage? Do you not find them interesting or useful? How should we display them, so?

Thanks for the input,

Darragh
    IMO, important news to do with the site specifically is fine - downtime warnings, forum software updates, ToU updates etc. Competitions or political campaigns endorsed by Boards not so much.

If what eVeNtInE has said turns off the feature then that's cool, I didn't know about it. At the same time, ideally I'd like to see important site announcements be separated from competitions/advertisements, so I could filter the latter, but not the former out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think the annoucements are great and should stay.

Darragh wrote: »

Thanks for the input,

Darragh

I've no problems with seeing them on the main page. But, I don't like seeing them on the subbed forums page. I'd usually check the main page/the announcements forum regularly, so having them in the subbed forums page is pointless, and somewhat annoying, for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It was our intention to have them removed from the Subbed list, not sure why it's crept back in, but I'll ask the lads if they can look into it.

Dav

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Should be gone from the subbed view now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I don't like them at all. Sorry Darragh :(

Am I wrong? I get the impression from those I've clicked (few) that they are usually competitions.

IRL I don't enter competitions. I don't want to on-line either.

To me they are like sticky's - something you have to scroll past before finding new threads. Sticky's are the main reason why I rarely venture into some forums - like Accom. & Property for example. It just annoys me that half the first page of a forum is taken up by threads that (while admittedly important and necessary) are rarely updated/daily relevant.

Fine if the announcements are on the homepage - I can look at them once and pass on by....but the way they randomly appear on the Subbed List, two out of every three F5's, it just wrecks my head.

If that's fixed, Thanks!

Advertisement