Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ignorant shop assistants

Options
  • 30-12-2009 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

can anyone explain why in this day and age we still have shop assistants who cant smile, say hello or even thanks? i was in a shop in longford only recently and 3 staff members stood having a chat as i stood waiting to be served for several minutes?:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

Don't you just hate it when people don't name and shame?!

can anyone explain why in this day and age we still have shop assistants who cant smile, say hello or even thanks? i was in a shop in longford only recently and 3 staff members stood having a chat as i stood waiting to be served for several minutes?:mad::mad::mad:

Did you complain?

I don't really see why you think this is a Longford issue.
    If anything there is better customer service in Longford than most places.
    People are less stressed, and more personable.

Personally I dont go back to places with consistantly bad service.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dollydimples82

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Did you complain?

I don't really see why you think this is a Longford issue.
    If anything there is better customer service in Longford than most places.
    People are less stressed, and more personable.

Personally I dont go back to places with consistantly bad service.

no i didnt complain.
    its not really a longford issue, i guess, its just i do most of my shopping in and around longford, and i see this problem on an ongoing basis. as for name and shame, it happened in argos, dont know their names and personally dont want to now either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They don't have to be plesant.

They could have been talking about something work related for all you know.

This happens all over the country and if you really have a problem with it and want that problem addressed then you should have complained to management.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    They don't have to be plesant.

They could have been talking about something work related for all you know.

This happens all over the country and if you really have a problem with it and want that problem addressed then you should have complained to management.

true, but i still think that they could have stopped and served customers first, at the end of the day if we stop going to there shop who will pay their wages??
    i was on my way to work and time was not on my side to be waiting to talk to management, i do feel that its up to staff to be pleasent and encourage customers to return. surely i am not the only one who thinks this/>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭truthisfree

I first noticed this starting about ten years ago, and everywhere I might add not just Longford. Shop assistants that ignore you and are downright rude. At least this recession will change that given a bit of time, nothing like the threat of ending up un-employed to make sure they make an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Economic

Its certainly not something distinct to Longford but having worked in the service trade myself it always amazes me that people don't realise how important it is to be nice to the customer. At the end of the day it is part of what your paid for regardless if ya like it or not. How you treat the customer will have a big impact on wheter the customer comes back or not.

Very often the difference between a customer going into one of two shops comes down to how friendly the staff are and this can also take percedence over price.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

I agree about the importance with being nice to customers. I'm partial to the odd full irish brekkie the day after I go out, and have stopped going to the courtyard due to the gruff nature of some of the staff. I much prefer the staff at cool beans who are always nice and helpful, with a smile on their face.

Irish people generally don't complain - they just don't go back, which does make it hard for management to notice and change these things if they aren't around.

:):):):)
    LuvSpudz wrote: »
    Irish people generally don't complain - they just don't go back, which does make it hard for management to notice and change these things if they aren't around.

thats the point we dont complain we just dont go back!! i know of a shop in newtownforbes that i wont go in because of a certain member of staff and her attitude.
    it doesnt kill anyone to put a smile on his/her face and it doesnt cost anything:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sonoftony

LuvSpudz wrote: »
    I agree about the importance with being nice to customers. I'm partial to the odd full irish brekkie the day after I go out, and have stopped going to the courtyard due to the gruff nature of some of the staff. I much prefer the staff at cool beans who are always nice and helpful, with a smile on their face.

totally agree with you about the courtyard , totally useless staff, but they obviously get it from the owner, who is an ignorant bollox himself,
    jacobites just accross the carpark have great staff, nice homely athmosphere and good food,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 RedHotChiliman

I agree shop assistants should be polite and friendly but I've noticed in the last year people have become waaaaaaaaaay more demanding and very rude to shop assistants. Xmas can be a stressful time for both consumers and workers in these shops...... its a tough day when every customer you get is an ass !Consumers expect their hands to be held to buy a paperclip these days. :mad:.
    Sometimes a friendly smile ..... please and thank you from a customer helps too! Instead of treating people who work in retail like their servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

I agree shop assistants should be polite and friendly but I've noticed in the last year people have become waaaaaaaaaay more demanding and very rude to shop assistants. Xmas can be a stressful time for both consumers and workers in these shops...... its a tough day when every customer you get is an ass !Consumers expect their hands to be held to buy a paperclip these days. :mad:.
    Sometimes a friendly smile ..... please and thank you from a customer helps too! Instead of treating people who work in retail like their servants.

Another great point, I have been on the other end of the situation having been a cust service and sales rep at various stages. Haven't been in the food service industry though thankfully! But some people are very hard to please and some do indeed expect to be treated like royalty.

Having been in their shoes I do try to give them the benefit of the doubt but very bad or repeated not great service and I'm out of there.

On another point I also give jacobite a thumbs up. Great food, nice service, nice place overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 umop-ap!sdn

I suggest you vote with your feet and give them a roundhouse kick to the head.. :p shop somewhere else..

Advertisement