Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2010 to Ocean City Maryland...

Options
  • 30-12-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey, thinkin about goin to Ocean City MD because jobs and accomodation are supposed to be easy to come by and it looks like a cool place...

Only problem is were all about 19 and apparently clubs/pubs are very hard to get into anywhere in the US without a veryyyyy good fake ID :(

So basically im just wonderin is there enough of an Irish presence for big houseparties to be on all the time or should we look somewhere else?

Anyhelp about the above or jobs and accomodation would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

My roommate was in Ocean City this Summer. I'm assuming there is only one Ocean City (near enough to NYC) I was told jobs were easy to get as the population increases hugely during the Summer so loads of beach/pier/retail jobs available.
    He said they were very strict on ID, but was one bar that was pretty lax now and again (probably weekdays) House parties were good though. Also accommodation should be pretty easy.

I'll add this however. Will you be planning on spending the entire Summer here? Because Ocean City is just a town with nothing to see (no landmarks etc.) so a lot of time will probably be spent drinking etc. which might sound appealing and great fun, but you would get sick of it after three months.

So at least plan to see more of America. Go to NY, Boston, DC to see all the sights, baseball games, landmarks, museums to really experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

One sentence is all u need, Harpoon Hannahs in Delaware (ten min bus journey from OC) on a wednesday night, place is heaving an wait for it, every shot is 50 cent! When i was there two years ago, there was I think 30 Irish there.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lopppy

Cheers for the info guys and the PM also.. a friend knows someone who can make pretty much perfect fake irish drivers licences and another who can make college cards (apparently he robbed an ID printer from a well known irish university! ;) ) so I might get both of those, will be worth it if it works... Was gonna book today but realised my passport is out of date in July so I cant really apply until i get my new one!! Hopefully it'l still be free... might ring them tomo :)

About it only bein a town, i did consider that but the only thing is a few of my friends have no funds what so ever and are just gonna try and get the loan then somehow pay it off so they'll need work, and in the bigger cities jobs seem to be difficult enough to get...If we're all workin we might just travel around for August or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

lopppy wrote: »
    Cheers for the info guys and the PM also.. a friend knows someone who can make pretty much perfect fake irish drivers licences and another who can make college cards (apparently he robbed an ID printer from a well known irish university! ;) ) so I might get both of those, will be worth it if it works... Was gonna book today but realised my passport is out of date in July so I cant really apply until i get my new one!! Hopefully it'l still be free... might ring them tomo :)

About it only bein a town, i did consider that but the only thing is a few of my friends have no funds what so ever and are just gonna try and get the loan then somehow pay it off so they'll need work, and in the bigger cities jobs seem to be difficult enough to get...If we're all workin we might just travel around for August or whatever...

To be honest I haven't heard of anyone going to Ocean city on a J1 in about 5 years. I remember some of my older brothers friends going there years back on J1's. That is not to say that it isn't a great spot to head for and I am sure it is very popular with young American's during the summer which is what you really want anyway. Still though don't just choose a place based on the premise that you think jobs might be handy come by. There are jobs everywhere if you look hard enough and I would fancy my chances of finding a job much more in a big city than a holiday town.

Most J1'ers tend to want to live in smaller communities with a big Irish presence so if thats your buzz then perhaps look at places like Huntington Beach in CA or santa-babra, santa-cruz as these seem to be more fashionable locations for Irish to go in recent times. If you are like me though and want to meet Americans and sort of get away from Irish for the summer, then the cities might be a better choice and they will have lots more gigs, bars, clubs etc. Its really up to what you are looking for.

As for being under-age, to be honest most places have copped on to the old dodgy Irish provisional licences years ago and Irish bars are the last place to go with these as they will be wisest to you and lots of them even confiscate them. Bigger places with fewer Irish customers will most likely not know what to look for so you should have some good success if you can stick to these.

The problem is that in small places full of Irish, most people will be going to the same few pubs or clubs and they will all be using their fake licences. Under-age drinking is a BIG deal in the states and pubs can lose their licence and be shut down after 1 offence so believe me nobody is lax about it! Big cities will be much easier get served with them licences but stay out of Irish bars.

Anyway parties are often better than going out so just try make as many friends as possible and you won't even need to be going out anywhere plus it will suit your budget as it is extremely cheap to buy booze in shops in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Twinkle

There are two Ocean Citys, one in New Jersey and one in Maryland. Does anybody know if there would be many Irish going on a J1 to Maryland OC this summer? Just 2 of us going, and we'd be looking to share accommodation as otherwise it'd end up being very expensive for 2 of us to have a place by ourselves. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Twinkle wrote: »
    There are two Ocean Citys, one in New Jersey and one in Maryland. Does anybody know if there would be many Irish going on a J1 to Maryland OC this summer? Just 2 of us going, and we'd be looking to share accommodation as otherwise it'd end up being very expensive for 2 of us to have a place by ourselves. Thanks.

Seems like theres a good few goin by this

http://www.j1forum.com/discussion/587/long-island-or-ocean-city/#Item_0

May share accom theres like 7 of us tho, cud get a big apartment and all share for cheap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Skitz_The_Lily

I was there 09, no bother on the jobs front! as for id and that no bother really in offys(offy on 9th street sells cider), pubs were a bit of a problem but pickles on 7th street was easy enough to get in good craic too, partys were good too, plenty of irish ones, croatians, bulgarian, jamacian. 8 of us got jobs in the dough roller, boss was a prick but managers were really sound, got to know some of the croats and bulgarians and hence the parties. Just beware of cops - all of us got in **** over there, really strict on noise after 11pm, they make you appreciate the gardai!!

Sounds good.. any idea on what the best streets to find accomodation on are? Also how much was your rent? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

Hey guys,

Going on a j1 this summer but not sure where yet. There are 6 girls going and we want to stick to the East coast. Out of the 6 of us only one person will be turning 21 while we are there. Would you recommend Ocean City for a J1? Is there a good Irish presence there and good house parties?

Would appreciate if you could get back to me thanks :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Stressedcao please do not post the same message multiple times. Once is enough. Otherwise its spamming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

Thanks for the help Dory, defo goin Ocean City now:) really appreciate the advice.

Advertisement