Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmainham Goal

Options
  • 30-12-2009 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey,I've been googling the old jail as we've a family day out there next week. I wonder if there's anyone here with some inside knowledge about the building,the restoration project and the area around. Like little known facts and trivia would be much appreciated,hints on where to get a nice lunch would be good too. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well all that information is available online, but either way you can go there totally ignorant of its history and your guide will bring you from the day it was designed right through to the time it closed - its a brilliant tour and none of your questions will be unanswered.

As for lunch, well there is a cafe there but its not great and really only good for light refreshments.

For a bite to eat you could go across the road to The Patriots Pub, its a good spot.

After that my recommendation would be to go onwards Collins Barracks (National Museum of Ireland) to complete your tour of Irish history, then walk around the corner to The Cobble Stone pub.

If you really want to beat them to death with the whole Irish rebellion thing take them to Glasnevin cementry for a graves tour (offical guides), it costs about €5-.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You could stroll from the Gaol through the grounds of IMMA. There's a cracking photo exhibition of New York at the moment. Cost a fiver but is free on Fri. The rest of the gallery is of course free all day everyday and the exhibitions do have something that would tickle kids' fancies.
    Stroll from there to Ryan's on Parkgate St for lunch and then onto Collins Barracks. The Natural History museum have taken over a room there too at the moment so plenty to see. The Cafe in the barracks isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Some of the literature on sale in the shop is excellent. Five and six colour fine printing, really really good stuff using silvers and varnishes. Weird thing is, the books are incredibly cheap. I got one about the children who were locked up in the gaol and it was under five Euro. So, don't just breeze through the stuff for sale, it's not tourist fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Thanks for the replies. I went for a tour there years ago,really enjoyed it so looking forward to seeing it again. With the amount of kids going I doubt we'll make it to Collins Barracks or the IMMA exbo,but maybe another family day out in that! Glad to hear about the bookshop,pity we didn't go before Christmas,could have got some decent presents by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

When are guided tours in Glasnevin starting again? (or are they year round)

• Advertisement
Advertisement