Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wing Mirror Kicker caught.

Options
  • 30-12-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I think I remember seeing a thread here a while back about people returning to their parked cars around the town only to find the wing mirrors kicked off. Well I've a bit of good news a friend of mine had he's car parked in town last tuesday night, anyway when he returned back to it he found the wing mirrors had been kicked of. Good news is the Gardai had left a note on the windscreen of he's car saying they had caught he the guy/girl responsible in the act, I cant help feeling though that it wont make a blind bit of difference as a deterrent, what will he get? A 60 Euro fine and the probation act I am guessing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Will go to court and guilt trip the judge about his rough upbringing and harsh life
    And get the probation act

Was in court recently, I never paid my TV licence. I admit it and paid the fine, ooh shame on me :o
    The guys & girls in tracksuits (a tracksuit to court :confused:) told tales of woe to the judge and got the probation act or smaller fines then I did. Admitting you're at fault doesn't pay!

I can't say what the person will get OP. But when you read of people stringing up 50 plus convictions the odds are it'll be very little. Fair play to the gardai anyway for doing what they can here, must be frustrating for them too

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

mikemac wrote: »
    But when you read of people stringing up 50 plus convictions the odds are it'll be very little. o

Don't get me started on the 50 plus convictions:mad:

Every week when I read the about the local court cases in the Galway Advertiser, I am astounded by the fact that most of these criminals have vast numbers of previous convictions. A couple of weeks ago I was reading about some guy who had 78 previous convictions!, and this seems to be a common trait with these chap's.

Have these people no shame I'd be embarrassed if I had 1. If some is still willing to commit crimes after say 2 or 3 convictions there must be some serious problems going on in their lives. I really don't know what, if anything, can be done to halt this downward spiral. Is it not obvious to the people in charge of social affairs , not just in this country but worldwide, that society needs to be looked at from the ground up.

I don't think we will ever be able to prevent crimes from happening, the only solution is to stop people turning in to criminals.

Rant over!.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

To avoid wing mirror kickers - never parallel park your car along streets of galway at night where anyone and everyone walks by your car.
    Drunken idiots + exposed car = magpies to shiny stuff!

I always park down in a carpark like Woodquay where it might still happen but only if they deliberately sought out a car instead of occasioned upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

kevcos wrote: »
    I think I remember seeing a thread here a while back about people returning to their parked cars around the town only to find the wing mirrors kicked off. Well I've a bit of good news a friend of mine had he's car parked in town last tuesday night, anyway when he returned back to it he found the wing mirrors had been kicked of. Good news is the Gardai had left a note on the windscreen of he's car saying they had caught he the guy/girl responsible in the act, I cant help feeling though that it wont make a blind bit of difference as a deterrent, what will he get? A 60 Euro fine and the probation act I am guessing.

They're hardly gonna give him the electric chair in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

With any luck he'll have to pay to have the mirror fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

With any luck he'll have to pay to have the mirror fixed.

He could be ordered to pay for the damage. You'll have to give him your contact details in order for him to pay you though, so watch out.

They're hardly gonna give him the electric chair in fairness.

My OP---'I cant help feeling though that it wont make a blind bit of difference as a deterrent, what will he get? A 60 Euro fine and the probation act I am guessing'.

Just what amount of sarcasm were you taking from my post.

So you reckon kicking off two wing mirrors, electrically controlled and the replacement of the mirror glass itself, on a new car at probably euro 200 -300 each and that might not even cover the labour costs, is no big deal.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you reckon kicking off two wing mirrors, electrically controlled and the replacement of the mirror glass itself, on a new car at probably euro 200 -300 each and that might not even cover the labour costs, is no big deal.:confused:

Compared to murder, stabbing someone, stealing the life-savings of an elderly woman by deception, neglecting your children so badly that you get taken to court, drunken driving (whether or not it causes death), arson, ... yes, it's no big deal.

Every society in the world has a proportion of people who are either stupid ("I didn't think that breaking the mirrors off would cost you $$$"), or have been so badly treated in their own lives that they don't value themselves much less anyone else's property.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

JustMary wrote: »
    Compared to murder, stabbing someone, stealing the life-savings of an elderly woman by deception, neglecting your children so badly that you get taken to court, drunken driving (whether or not it causes death), arson, ... yes, it's no big deal.

Every society in the world has a proportion of people who are either stupid ("I didn't think that breaking the mirrors off would cost you $$$"), or have been so badly treated in their own lives that they don't value themselves much less anyone else's property.

Vandalising someone elses property is a big deal. If your caught for it you should receive a conviction. Guess it's never happened to you then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

An ethos of mine is "Don't fcuk with someone elses property, regardless"

If I ever caught someone damaging etc. anything belonging to me - it wouldn't be the Guards i'd be contacting tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

BTW, a replacement mirror for a 07 Seat leona cost my friend about 500 euro as the electrics have to be replaced as well. Not a big deal my bony arse.

You need top reread my posts or get someone with even a little understanding of the English language to explain this thread to you;

I have NOWHERE in any of my posts compared vandalism of property with 'murder, stabbing someone, stealing the life-savings of an elderly woman by deception, neglecting your children so badly that you get taken to court, drunken driving (whether or not it causes death), arson'.

To be honest I am in disbelief that two posters think causing hundreds of euros worth of damage to parked cars, cars might I add that are fully TAXED and insured, isn't a big deal.

I use to think of myself as a moderate type of fella.

Am I in the minority here?

You need top reread my posts or get someone with even a little understanding of the English language to explain this thread to you;

I have NOWHERE in any of my posts compared vandalism of property with 'murder, stabbing someone, stealing the life-savings of an elderly woman by deception, neglecting your children so badly that you get taken to court, drunken driving (whether or not it causes death), arson'.

To be honest I am in disbelief that two posters think causing hundreds of euros worth of damage to parked cars, cars might I add that are fully TAXED and insured, isn't a big deal.

I use to think of myself as a moderate type of fella.

Am I in the minority here?

No just there's plenty of "Holier than thou" people on this forum, and people, who no matter how much experience you have in something, will know more than you :rolleyes:

I just laugh it off - why get all heated up over a flippin' internet forum? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

JohnCleary wrote: »
    No just there's plenty of "Holier than thou" people on this forum, and people, who no matter how much experience you have in something, will know more than you :rolleyes:

You've hit the nail on the head.

My OP---'I cant help feeling though that it wont make a blind bit of difference as a deterrent, what will he get? A 60 Euro fine and the probation act I am guessing'.

Just what amount of sarcasm were you taking from my post.

I didn't say it wasn't a big deal. I'm just wondering what you expect the guards to do? i thought it was commonplace in these cases that if the person is caught, they pay the damages. there's not really much more they can do with the person, unless they're a serial offender.

And here comes the predictable, HOLIER-THAN-THOU!!!! part: if you park your car in town, you're asking for trouble. people are tits, and wing-mirrors attract tits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

In prison he'll be the wing mirror! :D

And here comes the predictable, HOLIER-THAN-THOU!!!! part: if you park your car in town, you're asking for trouble. people are tits, and wing-mirrors attract tits

I've often parked my car in town without any problems, however, a bit of common sense is needed:

Don't park outside night-clubs/pubs, or on main roads where drunken eejits are likely to be in multiples
    Push your wing-mirror in on both sides... Not saying you'll be out of danger, but chances are the wing-mirror-kicker will kick the car next to yours if they're not folded in, much like a burgler will much more likely try to rob a house with no alarm rather than one with an alarm

JohnCleary wrote: »

Ahh John, never a truer word was spoken. You probably don't even realise what a good laugh you've given to so many people.

And here was me thinking that most of the contents of this thread was opinions rather than facts.

For the record, I don't think that property damage is trivial.

But I do think that there are far worse crimes, and that the punishment needs to fit the crime and be proportionate to the punishments for other crimes too. If we were to imprison someone for kicking off wing-mirrors, what would we do with them when they stabbed someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

For the record, I don't think that property damage is trivial.

Not just a €10 piece of glass any more, they are all electric adjustable €200 jobs nowadays. More than your last mobile phone cost in general. JC would evidently give his mobile to anyone who asks no matter how rudely :)
    If we were to imprison someone for kicking off wing-mirrors, what would we do with them when they stabbed someone.

Funnily enough if you don't imprison them/make them pay lots of compo (or both) for having fun with car mirrors they will have fund with someones head when they get really bored.

And then we hear what a hard life they had that made them do these things.

• Advertisement

But I do think that there are far worse crimes, and that the punishment needs to fit the crime and be proportionate to the punishments for other crimes too. If we were to imprison someone for kicking off wing-mirrors, what would we do with them when they stabbed someone.

Yes, but where do you think this stuff starts? You think a fella committing a serious crime is his first? (OK so maybe sometimes it is, but in general it's from a life of crime etc). People that do silly, cowardly things like vandalise (when there's no one around to catch them) are usually involved in a string of other offences. Catch these scum while they're young/before they endanger a life and throw the book at them - hopefully it'll cop them on and change their ways instead of just progressing up the scumbag ladder

We have different ideas about how to "throw the book" I think.

IMHO, sending someone to Crime University prison will most likely do no more than make them into a more skilled, more alienated-from-society criminal.

We have different ideas about how to "throw the book" I think.

Fair enough, let's leave it at that :)

I just have absolutily zero tolerance for scumbags or vandalism and believe that anyone doing such things should be punished in the worst way possible, maybe it's just the way I was brought up. But then again, i'm a believer in the death sentence for serious crimes so it's just my way of thinking.

But yeah I agree with you when you say that people probably come out of prison a more skilled criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I've had the unfortunate oppurtunity to stand up to some anti-social behaviour in our housing estate through the court system and although in the short term it appears as if the culprits don't get what's coming to them...in the fullness of time, life was not so good to them, and the residents who did the right thing, faired better.

As I said to my neighbours "do you want their life?" They...

a) Have travel restrictions due to a criminal conviction (try getting into the States)
    b) Will have trouble getting a job (if they ever try)
    c) Will struggle to get a council house (un-official police backround checks)
    d) Made themselves and their families miserable
    e) Never knew peace
    f) Eventually moved on (that was because we stood up to them)

Not much comfort when you're having to go through the system to get them to "just pay" for the damage, perhaps, but that's only one chapter in their life... everyone pays... eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    To avoid wing mirror kickers - never parallel park your car along streets of galway at night where anyone and everyone walks by
    car

Not always possible in fairness. I live in town. No protected parking where we are. I have to leave my car out at night. Nowhere else to put it. I always put in the wing mirrors as well but I've still had them kicked off twice. Bloody expensive as well as they are wired with electrics. Hasn't happened in a couple of years now but you still come down the odd morning to find the mirrors pulled out so you know someone has been messing with them. You're just happy as long as they are still connected to the car.

Not always possible in fairness. I live in town. No protected parking where we are. I have to leave my car out at night. Nowhere else to put it. I always put in the wing mirrors as well but I've still had them kicked off twice. Bloody expensive as well as they are wired with electrics. Hasn't happened in a couple of years now but you still come down the odd morning to find the mirrors pulled out so you know someone has been messing with them. You're just happy as long as they are still connected to the car.

nice username.

Advertisement