Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with router!!!

Options
  • 30-12-2009 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Just moved into a new house and have no room near the router to connect wired to my HP printer.
    Would this do the job if I connect it to the printer in another room or what exactly do I need?
    The printer has usb aand ethernet .

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24886

Any help would be appreciated!!.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

Bump!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

So you want to out a wireless card on your printer? That won't work, there's no way to load any drivers.

Unless you have a wireless printer you'll have to connect the printer either directly to your router or your computer.

You could try an Ethernet over power kit. Basically you plug one into the wall near the router and connect it with a network cable to the router and then another in a socket in another room and it uses your power cables to run the network signal so essentially it's like having a network port in the printer room.

Here's one here, probably not a great one though. Only 14Mbps speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Regarding Powerline, I bought a Netgear 85 mbs kit XEB1004 on amazon for 35 quid. for some reason it's only available at around 90 quid but that may change if you look. It is a brilliant solution. I'm presuming your printer has an ethernet connection? Alternatively, the apple airport express allows you to connect your printer to it via usb and you can alter the settings of the airport to make it act as a wireless extender as part of your existing network. Apple say this is only for their networks but a google search says it can be done using other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

OP you would need something like this for what you are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

Thanks for the replies guys!Will look into these.
    Thanks again,Happy new year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

+1 on the wireless print server. It has big advantages over Powerline applications.

Advertisement