Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Warning - Snow and Ice and Very Cold

Options
  • 30-12-2009 2:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

This cold spell will last for the forseeable future. It will turn much colder this weekend and next week and there is no end in sight. Snow and frost will become an increasing problem as will Ice. The advice is do not travel to high ground and make sure you check on elderly relatives or neighbours because this can be lethal to vulnerable people. What we have atm and what will occur may mean nothing to those in comfortable homes and of a certain age - to others it is a nightmare. We face, possibly, the coldest Winter since 1947 atm and if things continue locked in the pattern they are (which is very possible) it could be the worst ever. There is no end to this atm. The snow risk increases into January. Make sure you maintain as low a risk of bursting pipes as possible and that you be very careful on the roads and, indeed the footpaths, because seriously low temperatures are coming. It is no longer a case of will a flake of snow fall here or there - this is a serious period of cold weather and be careful and thoughtful please to those in need and to yourselves. Use common sense on the roads. Be careful.

But also enjoy it if you can. "It's the only weather you have got"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

wow you are one dark man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

hi there but i think that is a bit alarmist and FI as you guys say. Yes for the first few days of January it looks cold with a little snow but after the 6th or 7th it will become dry and mild as a high pressure moves in off the Atlantic bringing an increase in cloud and temperature so 1947 is not going to be repeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

sadistic little man...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

pauldry wrote: »
    hi there but i think that is a bit alarmist and FI as you guys say. Yes for the first few days of January it looks cold with a little snow but after the 6th or 7th it will become dry and mild as a high pressure moves in off the Atlantic bringing an increase in cloud and temperature so 1947 is not going to be repeated.
    where's your proof for this statement?

thanks darkman btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

hi there but i think that is a bit alarmist

Not at all. If you think -12 at night and -3 by day is "alarmist" - it is not. It's very serious for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

darkman2 wrote: »
    Not at all. If you think -12 at night and -3 by day is "alarmist" - it is not. It's very serious for some people.

Cheers for that. Much appreciated. The North is a skate rink at the moment, people don't realise how serious this is. Hopefully your scenario doesn't materialise but I've had 11 days of this and its slowly losing its charm.

Check Graces posts and you'll see what can happen.

Anywhere that gets snow in the next 48 hours is in serious bother.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Much appreciated. The North is a skate rink at the moment, people don't realise how serious this is. Hopefully your scenario doesn't materialise but I've had 11 days of this and its slowly losing its charm.

Check Graces posts and you'll see what can happen.

Anywhere that gets snow in the next 48 hours is in serious bother.

Hence the reports of old people in the North being literally trapped for 10 days or more in thier own homes. Im a young person but, trust me, one of these guys will have a simple walk to the shop one of the coming days and will be unable to stand due to Ice - then they will remember what we are saying. These conditions will be treacherous and not humourous at that stage.

Hence the reports of old people in the North being literally trapped for 10 days or more in thier own homes. Im a young person but, trust me, one of these guys will have a simple walk to the shop one of the coming days and will be unable to stand due to Ice - then they will remember what we are saying. These conditions will be treacherous and not humourous at that stage.

I walked to the shop at about 5.30, left wee lad over to his pal at same time. Took me 25 minutes, normally 10 minutes. Treated roads are grand, we walked on them, because footpaths, estates and back lanes are atrocious. I mean break kneck atrocious. Even the snow on the grass is treacherous as footsteps from before are freezing over.

I've Saxa on my doorstep and believe me, takes dire straits for that!

Went back for him at 7 and on back roads its a matter of sliding with the ice and taking it by centimetres, never mind inches. Step on the thick areas of ice and avoid thawed out areas as they are frozen over and treacherous.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I walked to the shop at about 5.30, left wee lad over to his pal at same time. Took me 25 minutes, normally 10 minutes. Treated roads are grand, we walked on them, because footpaths, estates and back lanes are atrocious. I mean break kneck atrocious. Even the snow on the grass is treacherous as footsteps from before are freezing over.

I've Saxa on my doorstep and believe me, takes dire straits for that!

Went back for him at 7 and on back roads its a matter of sliding with the ice and taking it by centimetres, never mind inches. Step on the thick areas of ice and avoid thawed out areas as they are frozen over and treacherous.

You see they don't seem to understand your problems yet, but they will. This is absolutely terrible weather for many people. That will become universal throughout Ireland before the week is out. This is not a cold "spell" anymore. Some have had this for the last 3 weeks.

I know the models inside out and observe them constantly - I have never seen such a cold outlook in my life. BB and Weathercheck will happily say the same. It is extraordinary the pattern we are stuck in. I don't say that lightly.

You see they don't seem to understand your problems yet, but they will. This is absolutely terrible weather for many people. That will become universal throughout Ireland before the week is out. This is not a cold "spell" anymore. Some have had this for the last 3 weeks.

I know the models inside out and observe them constantly - I have never seen such a cold outlook in my life. BB and Weathercheck will happily say the same. It is extraordinary the pattern we are stuck in. I don't say that lightly.

I see why they are comparing it to 82. Not the same depths, but absolute chaos.

You'll see the panic in a week or so if this keeps up, people have to go back to work and schools will start, well I hope so.

One of the soothsayers out in the hills of Donegal, said this would last 6 weeks and schools would go to mid/end July to make up for the missed days. I scoffed!

I'm not laughing now. NI is in absolute chaos and no snow predicted in the next 2 days or so.

Even if we get no more snow, this is an absolute nightmare.

Still, I got a white Xmas, but the kids are even sick of this!

• Advertisement

It will last for another 7 days at least - it will get worse. Keep up to date here. We don't miss a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it will be more than cold - it will be bitterly cold by our standards for the first few days of january ,with the potential for significant snow fall for some
    however, that said i agree with you, it is premature to make comparisons with those fabled winters of '47 and '62 just yet. what we can state with confidence is that it will be bitterly cold for at least the next six days. we don't know what will happen for sure after that. anyone who says otherwise is not to be believed.
    if this cold weather were to last for a solid month or more, with little let up, then comparisons with those famous winters of the past might be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you for this..... I am waking to bitter cold here; the promised solid fuel has not arrived; probably with the road so bad no one can get here.

I have not been able to get out for nearly two weeks now; I tried once and got stuck in the lane.

NB Not knowing what else to do that day, I called the Gardai who I know well as we do charity work; they never called back. Far too busy and also I doubt they could have got up here anyways.

One point few realise isthat the emergency services are over stretched now so we are needed to help each other..

Think of it as a war emergency.:) Because it soon will be and in manyplaces already is

There is a large barn used for storage a few hundred yards up the lane and they come there to get feed for their stock, so at first light I am planning to get up there, on the ice, and leave a note as they have turf there.

Please; do check your neighbours. Anyone with young children also,
    And yes, anyone older is at huge risk now, We cannot maintain body heat as we could a few years ago. That is a simple fact. And bones break more easily

There has been no let up here; still thick ice in every direction, and the bitter wind howling now.

Even 4wheel drives are in difficulties and the farmers are using "cats"

And with heavy snow, this could be your road very quickly.

NB if anyone in or near Donegal Town is seeking photo sites and has effective transport, please pm me? So grateful; I need gas and any kind of solid fuel.. The furniture is next in line:D
    NB I have some glorious photos; can i email them to someone who has the means to get them online please? They wil l show what like it is up here

I echo all this.

Never underestimate what the weather can do. Looking at the mountains here, the raw power of them....

yes, enjoy the snow; it is very very lovely and rare. But always take care.

Ireland is ill prepared for this.

As we are also.
    I see why they are comparing it to 82. Not the same depths, but absolute chaos.

You'll see the panic in a week or so if this keeps up, people have to go back to work and schools will start, well I hope so.

One of the soothsayers out in the hills of Donegal, said this would last 6 weeks and schools would go to mid/end July to make up for the missed days. I scoffed!

I'm not laughing now. NI is in absolute chaos and no snow predicted in the next 2 days or so.

Even if we get no more snow, this is an absolute nightmare.

Still, I got a white Xmas, but the kids are even sick of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Bring on the Weather of 1947!
    I think that I can safely say that there is actually less deaths on the roads during this coldspell than in normal weather, People are not driving crazy fast like they normally do, road death fatailty must be down compared to other christmas periods? Only thing about the cold snap that people who are careful on the roads can even crash on their own easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I understand how much hardship cold weather and ice can cause, living on a steep hill, it got covered in ice and snow before Christmas. It lasted several days, some water pipes used to give water to cattle froze up.

Take the advice of the other posters here who understand the problems of severe winter weather, it is no fun when one is left in hardship.

I think my father is still haunted by the winter of 1947, he always talks about it, we don't want a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you for this..... I am waking to bitter cold here; the promised solid fuel has not arrived; probably with the road so bad no one can get here.

I have not been able to get out for nearly two weeks now; I tried once and got stuck in the lane.

NB Not knowing what else to do that day, I called the Gardai who I know well as we do charity work; they never called back. Far too busy and also I doubt they could have got up here anyways.

One point few realise isthat the emergency services are over stretched now so we are needed to help each other..

Think of it as a war emergency.:) Because it soon will be and in manyplaces already is

There is a large barn used for storage a few hundred yards up the lane and they come there to get feed for their stock, so at first light I am planning to get up there, on the ice, and leave a note as they have turf there.

Please; do check your neighbours. Anyone with young children also,
    And yes, anyone older is at huge risk now, We cannot maintain body heat as we could a few years ago. That is a simple fact. And bones break more easily

There has been no let up here; still thick ice in every direction, and the bitter wind howling now.

Even 4wheel drives are in difficulties and the farmers are using "cats"

And with heavy snow, this could be your road very quickly.

NB if anyone in or near Donegal Town is seeking photo sites and has effective transport, please pm me? So grateful; I need gas and any kind of solid fuel.. The furniture is next in line:D
    NB I have some glorious photos; can i email them to someone who has the means to get them online please? They wil l show what like it is up here

Graces7, if you are still stuck for fuel or other supplies I'd advise trying to get in touch with the local IFA branch, country people still know the value of helping the neighbours and I'm sure they won't leave you stuck.

For your pictures pop over to pix.ie, sign up only takes a few minutes and you'll have the pics online to show us in no time.

Thanks: promises have been made so I will see what this day brings. Then if nothing, tomorrow will call them.

That is a good contact; thank you...

If it would just rain heavy and clear the road here for THREE HOURS!

But the sleet is turning more and more to snow and not a single car is out.

nilhg wrote: »
    Graces7, if you are still stuck for fuel or other supplies I'd advise trying to get in touch with the local IFA branch, country people still know the value of helping the neighbours and I'm sure they won't leave you stuck.

For your pictures pop over to pix.ie, sign up only takes a few minutes and you'll have the pics online to show us in no time.

Your poor father must be suffering now.

I watched the men battling against the weather to feed stock just now.

In a long life this is the worst I have seen. And as I had just had to move because of flooding..

Snow setting in here now. .... larger flakes..

Min wrote: »
    I understand how much hardship cold weather and ice can cause, living on a steep hill, it got covered in ice and snow before Christmas. It lasted several days, some water pipes used to give water to cattle froze up.

Take the advice of the other posters here who understand the problems of severe winter weather, it is no fun when one is left in hardship.

I think my father is still haunted by the winter of 1947, he always talks about it, we don't want a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Thanks: promises have been made so I will see what this day brings. Then if nothing, tomorrow will call them.

That is a good contact; thank you...

If it would just rain heavy and clear the road here for THREE HOURS!

But the sleet is turning more and more to snow and not a single car is out.

Hey Grace,, Hope your ok... May be a stupid question - but is post getting to you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Your poor father must be suffering now.

I watched the men battling against the weather to feed stock just now.

In a long life this is the worst I have seen. And as I had just had to move because of flooding..

Snow setting in here now. .... larger flakes..

Well, he is elderly now so he is taking it easier, I'm in charge now, hate the cold, nothing worse than ice, freezing pipes and freezing hands to go with it as gloves are impracticable sometimes.

Sorry to hear of you got flooded before, whats the saying...from the frying pan to the fire.
    Please God things will improve.

How I would love a balmy 15C, calm and sun.....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

i think its a case of two sides......on one hand you have people livin in the west and north (mostly) who are havin it really bad and some have been stuck indoors for days already and then you have the likes of myself and i assume many others in the south and east (esp livin in towns or citys )who are kinda wonderin what all the fuss is about as its certainly been cold but all this talk of heavy snow and snowstorms arrivin just has,nt happened.once you get out of my estate you wouldnt even no we are in a " very bad cold spell"......thats just the way this country is ...its very marginal from place to place.....i still say dark mans prediction of the worst cold spell ever is nonesense....at least for most people in citys and towns although i do think people livin higher up are havin it really bad and will continue to until this snap is over. i hope all who are in danger stay safe and the rest of us will wonder what all the fuss is about.

Grace, I know this is probably a very silly question, but is there anything that we could do for you?

Not sure; was it a Bank Holiday y'day?

Nothing so far today and he is "usually": early; nothing since Christmas Eve..

One car has passed going townwards; the man who rescued wee car and promised to fetch gas and coal; no idea of his name or where he lives.
    He has "special tyres"

jenzz wrote: »
    Hey Grace,, Hope your ok... May be a stupid question - but is post getting to you ?

Not silly at all!

Fuel has been promised....I am sure he will remember... And I have plenty of food; enough for another month, being used to isolated places.

The water situation is fine now..

And yes; please look out for your neighbours where you are? There are so many shut in everywhere now.

And that will worsen if this continues. Help them? For me.

More rain than snow; may well ease the road enough if nothing more comes down tonight.

Grace, I know this is probably a very silly question, but is there anything that we could do for you?[/quote]

Excellent evaluation!

Thank you.:D

howlinwolf wrote: »
    i think its a case of two sides......on one hand you have people livin in the west and north (mostly) who are havin it really bad and some have been stuck indoors for days already and then you have the likes of myself and i assume many others in the south and east (esp livin in towns or citys )who are kinda wonderin what all the fuss is about as its certainly been cold but all this talk of heavy snow and snowstorms arrivin just has,nt happened.once you get out of my estate you wouldnt even no we are in a " very bad cold spell"......thats just the way this country is ...its very marginal from place to place.....i still say dark mans prediction of the worst cold spell ever is nonesense....at least for most people in citys and towns although i do think people livin higher up are havin it really bad and will continue to until this snap is over. i hope all who are in danger stay safe and the rest of us will wonder what all the fuss is about.

It has been an interesting year alright..

I said as soon as i came here.. It is above the snow line.... having seen the Blue Stacks the winter before and wondered what like it was in the wee houses you passed there.

That was only last month....

I knit fingerless gloves that are grand; or cut a hole in the bottom of the sleeve of an old sweater and loop the thumbs through. Keeps the hands warm and leaves the fingers free to work....

In a few months we will all be remembering the winter and the beauty of it, not the cold...

Looking at the photos and telling tall stories:D

"Time and forgtfulness sweeten memory..."

Min wrote: »
    Well, he is elderly now so he is taking it easier, I'm in charge now, hate the cold, nothing worse than ice, freezing pipes and freezing hands to go with it as gloves are impracticable sometimes.

Sorry to hear of you got flooded before, whats the saying...from the frying pan to the fire.
    Please God things will improve.

How I would love a balmy 15C, calm and sun.....

The pics are on the photo thread now..

I uploaded to my weblog, then copy/pasted.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63706366#post63706366

nilhg wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Would quite like some snow here but glad we have piped gas and can just switch on the heating whenever required! :) Probably wouldn't want much of it if it was a struggle to keep warm, etc..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

howlinwolf wrote: »

with two weeks and a half of colder than average conditions for parts of the country. i think it's wrong to describe this as a cold snap. a cold snap is the two-three day we usually get from a northerly airflow which then gives way to a ridge of atlantic high pressure. this is clearly sustained cold. of course it highly unlikely to be on the same scale as 1947 but we will most likely be reminiscing about the charts for the winter of 2009/10 in the future.

Advertisement