Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gary Megson and the Bolton fans

• 30-12-2009 3:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭

Now, I am no Bolton fan and I am sure there is lots I do not understand here but what the hell is the problem?

Big Sam's time there was something of a one-off, Megson has done a great job to keep wanderers up last season (and the season before?) and has made a number of shrewd signings in Caill, Taylor and Klasnic with very little money whilst keeping hold of Davies and Jussi in the process.

What exactly are Bolton fans complaining about? Style of play? The man himself or do they feel they should be achieving more?

EDIT: Just sparked by the booing even when they were 2-1 up tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Yeah I agree with what you are saying. I think he's made some decent buys with obviously not much resources to work with.

I think they were kind of spoiled under Big Sam and it may have gone to their heads a little.

When they first hired Megson I thought they were doomed to relegation but he has done a good job there. Its so tough down the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd love to know the answer to this one as well. I don't get it.

I'm wondering if it's a personal thing. They didn't want him in the first place and are just being stubborn.

I myself thought it was a crazy appointment, but he's doing a lot better there than i thought he would. Sometimes these fans should be careful what they wish for.

Bolton could so easily have gone down after Allardyce left, a bit like Charlton did when Curbishley left them. The fact that Megson has Bolton competitive in the Premier Leaue is to be commended.

I just think Bolton fans were spoiled under the Allardyce years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

In fairness to the fans, it was probably the most uninspiring managerial appointment they could've dreaded at the time. The man will just forever be associated with relegation battles and yo-yo clubs like his time at West Brom and he never looked the kind of man that could push them onto the level that Big Sam achieved. It's like the chairman said "ok we know we're never going to be a big success, so we're just going to bring in a man who'll do his best stopping us being relegated".

Fair enough they're still in the Premier League but they're never going to do any better with him in charge. And with that kind of ambition (or lack thereof) they're never going to be warm to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Daysha wrote: »
    In fairness to the fans, it was probably the most uninspiring managerial appointment they could've dreaded at the time. The man will just forever be associated with relegation battles and yo-yo clubs like his time at West Brom and he never looked the kind of man that could push them onto the level that Big Sam achieved. It's like the chairman said "ok we know we're never going to be a big success, so we're just going to bring in a man who'll do his best stopping us being relegated".

Fair enough they're still in the Premier League but they're never going to do any better with him in charge. And with that kind of ambition (or lack thereof) they're never going to be warm to him.

I am not going to tell a club to know its place or anything but I think that he argument you put across is faifrly unfair.
    Sam got them into Europe once one twice (I think via the cup once) but they sold a number of their players like Anelka and Diouf and Megson wasn't exactly given a shedload of cash to improve.

You make the point of Megson being associated with relegation and promotion and it is a fair one but Big Sam is hardly kicking on with Blackburn, is he? He also underperformed at Newcastle.

I just don't know who Bolton fans thought they would attract when they they sold a number of their best players. Every season Megson keeps them in the PL is another season they get 20m and improve their squad gradually whilst increasing the chances of avoiding relegation once again. Filling the Reebok regularly would surely be a better way to help the club then unrealistic managerial appointments, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its truly pathetic, you'd think the fans believed themselves to be better than a Championship side which is excatly what Bolton Wanderers is. "Big Sam" was defying gravity with a canny game plan and some inspired free/cheap players. Expecting the club to stay up season after season with any sort of generous margin is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

noodler wrote: »
    Now, I am no Bolton fan and I am sure there is lots I do not understand here but what the hell is the problem?

Big Sam's time there was something of a one-off, Megson has done a great job to keep wanderers up last season (and the season before?) and has made a number of shrewd signings in Caill, Taylor and Klasnic with very little money whilst keeping hold of Davies and Jussi in the process.

What exactly are Bolton fans complaining about? Style of play? The man himself or do they feel they should be achieving more?

Think the same thing happened with Southgate at Middlesborough. Chairman sacked him not because of the result but because attendances were dropping. Maybe fans want to be entertained when they go to games. Could be Megson doesnt encourage attractive football

West Brom played attractive footie last season....

who knows. will have to take a closer look at them and see whats up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I cant believe theyve sacked him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I think Bolton over achieved with Big Sam in charge.They attracted player to the club which you wouldnt normally associate with Bolton,Campo and Jay Jay Ochaka.

So when Big Sam left,Bolton fans still expected to be challenging in the top half off the table rather than battling relegation.

From the moment Gary Megson stepped into the job he was not liked.The fans never liked him or his style off play.I think that the Bolton fans, expected to attract a higher calibre off a manager with a bigger repuation than Gary Megson.

I disagree witht the way they are treating him.I think its terrible for a manager to have to be subsituted to that level of abuse from your OWN fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Megson just got the sack so i guess the fans won out in the end.I think he would have given them the best chance at staying up this season so it will be interesting to see who they replace him with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

risiculous,
    whats football coming too, managers sacked everyday....

As for bolton fans, completely deluded if they expect to be significantly higher up the table.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That's Bolton finally gone from the Premier League. Excellent.

Paul Hart? Young Fergerson? Curbs?

mike65 wrote: »
    Paul Hart? Young Fergerson? Curbs?

Jewel ?

edit

btw hart is with QPR now

Headshot wrote: »
    Jewel ?

edit

btw hart is with QPR now
    Not forgetting Mark Hughes. Although he may some time out to walk the dog.

Not forgetting Mark Hughes.

I wouldnt think he'd take that job tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

curbishly surely They do have two games in hand so they have the chance to get out of the relegation zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I hope they get relegated after this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shockingly poor decision. That's Bolton gone now and they'll deserve it. I can see them do a Charlton and freefall down the leagues now.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

Sam got them into Europe once one twice (I think via the cup once) but they sold a number of their players like Anelka and Diouf and Megson wasn't exactly given a shedload of cash to improve.

It was actually Megson who sold Anelka (15m) and Diouf (2.5m) - . And spent 8m on Elmander, Danny ****tu for 3m, 4m on Zat Knight and the balance on Mark Davies. If you add these to the further money he received to buy Cahill, Muamba, Lee, Taylor, Steinsson, Robinson and Ricketts (his good and reasonable signings) then can't really say Sam left him with no money.

His tactics have been shocking at times and doesn't really seem to know what he wants to do with the team. Selling Kevin Nolan and signing Cohen and Riga can't really have helped with the fans either.

Did his best but was taking them down to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Hope Bolton get relegated after this. They way the fans treated Megson was disgraceful and thats all I have to say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lol at Bolton. Unless they have someone with real potential lined up they're fùcked.
    GymJim wrote: »
    It was actually Megson who sold Anelka (15m) and Diouf (2.5m) - . And spent 8m on Elmander, Danny ****tu for 3m, 4m on Zat Knight and the balance on Mark Davies. If you add these to the further money he received to buy Cahill, Muamba, Lee, Taylor, Steinsson, Robinson and Ricketts (his good and reasonable signings) then can't really say Sam left him with no money.

His tactics have been shocking at times and doesn't really seem to know what he wants to do with the team. Selling Kevin Nolan and signing Cohen and Riga can't really have helped with the fans either.

That's interesting. I'm not sure I'd really criticise his transfers overall considering how difficult it must be for them to attract players.
    mike65 wrote: »
    West Brom played attractive footie last season....
    Attractive football (ie. not long ball) is in no way an impediment to success for smaller clubs. Biggest myth in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I don't think Hughes would fancy going to Bolton right now. He should hold on until a bigger club comes knocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

I'd have my money on Peter Reid getting the job like.

It'll either be him or Paul Jewell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Apparently Paul Jewell was at the Reebok last night - and it sounds like his cuppa. Has been in relegation battles before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Apparently Paul Jewell was at the Reebok last night - and it sounds like his cuppa. Has been in relegation battles before.

It wouldn't suprise me at all. The job has his name written all over it like.

It would have to be when they play us (Sunderland) that they have the boost of having just appointed a new manager though :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So it's now official. He has been relived of his duties.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

So it's now official. He has been relived of his duties.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What exactly do Boltoan fans expect of their team?
    Champions League football every season? Champagne football performed by the worlds greatest stars? Megson didn't play exciting football, but he had limited resources at his disposal.
    I can't believe how much the Bolton fans got on his back over virtually his whole spell at the club. I hope they get relegated now the b*stards.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Fair play to him keeping the job this long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Darren Ferguson perhaps, would keep him quite local to Sir Alex too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

how in the name of all that is holy did he ever last 26 months.

the fans hated him.

he has no charisma, and his side plays sh*t football.

the one saving grace for him was that he's staved off relegation.

for the record though, i do think Bolton have slightly unrealistic expectations. as in, it seems as though they expect to be challenging for Europe on a shoestring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

comical reaction from most people here. He's in the relegation zone at christmas time and his team just gave up a 2 goal lead to a fellow relegation team at home, he nearly deserves the sack for that alone. I remember at the time Phil Brown was meant to be sacked everyone said he deserved it etc etc, whats the difference between Brown and Megson? The only I can see is Brown has done a far bettter job then Megson yet he deserved the sack and Megson didn't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

whats the difference between Brown and Megson?

Megson is ginger and Brown is orange.

I see paul jewel is the favourite now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I agree with chucky that it's fully deserved.

For a manager of such experience, I think he was very naive to try to play the style of football he was trying to play. Very similar to west brom last year and perhaps West Ham this year, they play good football badly and the premiership is an unforgiving league to these sort of teams. Even Arsenal often struggle to the play football the way Wenger believes it should be played so what chance do Bolton have of achieving a free flowing, easy on the eye and ultimately successful style of football.

GymJim wrote: »

Was he? Saving them year on year IMO more like. Half the signings you list above are actually good one and you left out in form Klasnic. Di you expect every player to be a gem or something?

SlickRic wrote: »
    how in the name of all that is holy did he ever last 26 months.

the fans hated him.

he has no charisma, and his side plays sh*t football.

the one saving grace for him was that he's staved off relegation.

for the record though, i do think Bolton have slightly unrealistic expectations. as in, it seems as though they expect to be challenging for Europe on a shoestring.

Is this Rafa or Megson you are talking about?

Liverpool are crap to watch on a regular basis but that is hardly a basis for the sack. Big Sam had them playing plenty of long ball football too.

Who cares if it keeps them in the division?

Best of luck to Megson and will have no sympathy whatsoever if Bolton go down now.

EDIT: Must have had my fortuneteller hat on when I posted this thread last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Is this Rafa or Megson you are talking about?

Liverpool are crap to watch on a regular basis but that is hardly a basis for the sack. Big Sam had them playing plenty of long ball football too.

Who cares if it keeps them in the division?

i didn't say it was justified, just that i can't believe he lasted that long to the points i made.

particularly the fact that he simply was not liked.

i also stated that i think Bolton expect too much.

so in fact, we kind of agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What do Liverpool have to do with a thread about Megson and Bolton Noodler? Nice troll job though.

What do Liverpool have to do with a thread about Megson and Bolton Noodler? Nice troll job though.

Excuse me?

A fellow Liverpool fan made the point that Bolton play poor football. I made the point that Liverpool also do this on a regular basis but we do not demand the sack.

Do you need it explained any further? Watch it with your petty accusations please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well as a Blackburn fan i hope they approach Big Sam and tempt him back, i'm fed up with him at Ewood, yeah he kept them up last year but at least Ince was playing good football.

I think it was a very silly thing for Bolton to sack Megson, i know he wasn't playing great football, but change isn't always good, and it could see them relegated this year.

I wonder do they have Hughes in mind or lined up.

If Christmas wasn't gone i'd be hoping to swap Big Sam for Klasnic, he was a great signing from Megson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Whatever about the board being right to sack him now, the fans have been at him from day 1. Thick carry on imo. Never going to help the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Archimedes wrote: »
    Darren Ferguson perhaps, would keep him quite local to Sir Alex too.

Bolton will still have the same resources. When Peterborough finally got up to a level where they were the financial underdogs Ferguson had no answer. I think Bolton fans would ultimately be disappointed to get Ferguson. He should prove himself with a stable Championship team before considering Premier League management anyway imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

What exactly are Bolton fans complaining about?
    Style of play? The man himself or do they feel they should be achieving more?

So even though he has done a great job in keeping/signing these players they are in the relegation zone with half the season gone! I dont see why this is such a big deal! I'd sack him!
    I'm not in the know but i doubt he has a huge rafa sized contract or that he is paid on similiar wages so why not sack him. Getting a new manager usually improves a teams performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

adamski8 wrote: »
    So even though he has done a great job in keeping/signing these players they are in the relegation zone with half the season gone! I dont see why this is such a big deal! I'd sack him!
    I'm not in the know but i doubt he has a huge rafa sized contract or that he is paid on similiar wages so why not sack him. Getting a new manager usually improves a teams performance.

In fairness Bolton have 2 games in hand over all but 1 team from 13th down,

a point in any of those 2 takes them out of the zone,

a win would take them up to 12th/13th

It's very tight, and even though the football isn't great it was a silly decision and may bite them in the arse.

Then you'd be a crap manager I am afraid!

Battling relegation is has been Bolton's level regardless of manager for much of the past decade.

Also the above argument is a good one and one you must have missed. Things are very tight and they have two games in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

yeah but generally if your down there you probably would be lucky to get 3 points from two games and drawing at home to one of their relegation rivals is never good especially in the manner they did it in, im just surprised that everyone else is surprised he's gone! results are good and the fans dont like him then generally the manager is fired

yeah but generally if your down there you probably would be lucky to get 3 points from two games and drawing at home to one of their relegation rivals is never good especially in the manner they did it in, im just surprised that everyone else is surprised he's gone! results are good and the fans dont like him then generally the manager is fired

Yes but if yoou are going to put such great stock in the fact Bolton are in the relegation zone at the moment then you can at least recognise how tight it is down there and that one point would take them out whilst a win would bring them as hgih as 13th/14th.

• Advertisement
Advertisement