Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard-drive full... But it's not :(

• 30-12-2009 5:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

As above

Think it might have been a problem for quite some time.
    Unfortunately i cannot put a timeframe on it as it is my mommy's laptop.

It would seem that on the 110gig hard-drive we're missing around 80gigs :eek:

I determined this by enabling hidden files + then just seeing how large all the folders were.

I've run ccleaner + chkdsc to no avail.

Running windows vista and the only issue which there has been for the lappy so far has been a messy windows update incident. Can;t exactly remember what happened, was quite some time ago.

remember having to go into safe mode, go to a restore point + then stop an update from installing as it was "breaking" the computer.

Cheers everyone for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

spacemonger is also useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Khannie wrote: »
    +1.

Ultimately a surefire way to restore space is a reformat. Other than that its hard to recover filespace occupied by crap that cant even be read in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

And the result from WinDirStat

attachment.php?attachmentid=100291&stc=1&d=1262192139

I'm going to take the hard-drive out and see what another pc makes of it.

The colour of the sector suggests it's a big jpeg file... But it couldn't be right?

Is it agreed that a reformat will prob be the only solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Here's a random thought that might be completely idiotic or it may just help.

Tell vista to index the whole drive. It may make it cop on to whats there and what isnt. I had issues on my laptop with vista before where it held the indexes for files I'd deleted several months previously. Maybe this kind of issue can go deeper that simply search indexes. Just a thought.

• Advertisement

You need to Highlight the Yellow File to see where and what it is. In that image you have the Windows folder selected and thats the White Box around the Windows folder and its contained files.

It seems like its the 75.6 GB of Unknown Filespace though, in that image. Windirstat sees the 110gb.

Thats your issue anyway.

I noticed this in Vista too. So hey, it could be an indexing bug. I reformat my laptop a couple times a year since discovering the same issue in windirstat, just not such a huge file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Click on the big Jpeg and it should tell you where that file is on the HD

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Click on the big Jpeg and it should tell you where that file is on the HD
    If you look at the information in the file tree up in the top left, its the 75.6gb unknown filespace. Which fits the File Map, given the unkown file takes up 70% (well, 68.6%) of the drive, as well as 70% of the map.

I dont think its a JPEG at all. No more than those 2 larger green files are videos: they would be the Pagefile and Hiberfile. Windirstat's color map isn't entirely accurate. It only uses about a dozen colors to represent hundreds of file types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Another thing to watch is Shadow Copies. As part of the recovery system Vista(All variants) keeps each version of your documents, so even if you save a change and in three weeks decide the old page(for instance) was better, you can go back and retreive it via document properties(Only in Business/Ultimate editions, scabby gits). If the limits for this are set incorrectly it will fill your drive. I dont know if its hidden or not, but i suppose its possible it would cause the above.

Cheers for all the posts guys

I just fixed it earlier today, strange enough actually
    I took the hard-drive out and using my sata to usb connector(+ power conector which i thought odd cause it was a 2.5" drive) the second the xp pc recognised the drive it reported "Windows deleted a file on drive F: due to it being corrupted" or something like that.

Once i saw corrupted i got scared, but it's all turned out good and all the space on the drive is back + it's working fine!

Not a conclusive end, but i don't mind ;)

Cheers again

• Advertisement

It has happened again!!!
    It seems really quite random

And this time I don't have the sata to usb adapter :(

Anyone any ideas on how I might be able to get it this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Navigate to the winsxs folder. I bet thats the real culprit. The longer you have vista installed the larger it gets, and there is no real safe way of getting rid of the info in it without a lot of tomfoolery. Backup and reinstall is the bets hting for vista every 2/3 months. Thankfully, 7 does not seem to have this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 dubfir

This happened to me before and turned out to be system restore had got huge as it was holding onto lots of restore points.......

Argh,

I really don't fancy the bother of a reformat...

Ideas would be appreciated.
    Like can anyone think of what function on xp would have been able to tell straight away that there was a "corrupted" file on the hard-drive.

If I could get a program like that then I could at least avoid all the hassle.

Cheers again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might try:
    Delete files in temporary folders e.g.
    C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Local Settings\Temp
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    clear browser cache, cookies, history
    disable hibernation unless you need it
    empty recycle bin
    move any movies/music you can to a reliable external drive (some USB sticks are not)
    disable restore points

then defrag

Anti wrote: »
    Navigate to the winsxs folder. I bet thats the real culprit. The longer you have vista installed the larger it gets, and there is no real safe way of getting rid of the info in it without a lot of tomfoolery. Backup and reinstall is the bets hting for vista every 2/3 months. Thankfully, 7 does not seem to have this problem.
    So there really was a Vista Virus? Well, more of a cancer and a tumor.

Man, the fanbois will have a field day. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

make sure you run the treesize type program as administrator / with admin rights

system restore is also a hidden folder

if it was server I'd also look at the drive properties in case you are saving previous versions on another drive

if all else fails then run chkfdk / scandsk to in case it's just a corrupt index

Advertisement