Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good destinations to meet special someone

• 30-12-2009 5:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

I realise the question might seem really shallow, but it is a genuine one. I've just come out of a long term relationship, and I'm pretty devastated about the whole thing. I've decided im going travelling in the new year to try get some perspective on things.

Of course, if i could meet some new girls it would really help me begin to get over my ex. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some places where i'd give myself the best chance of this happening, be it with fellow travellers or locals. I am 28 FWIW, and i dislike the whole "clubbing scene",

I'd appreciate genuine responses only please, I don't need breakup advice or the like - I am sure that this kind of thing would help me through this tough time. Thanks. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Thailand. You'll bring home a nice new bride and she'll love you long time.

But seriously if you are confident enough you will meet people anywhere. South East Asia is easy to meet local girls but a lot are pseudo prostitutes. I love Latino America for meeting local women but then again i am half Colombian and speak the language. As for travelers you can meet them anywhere. In hostels or sign up for a few tours. But going away with the purpose of meeting girls isn't really the right attitude to have when going traveling. Just go travel wherever you want to see and whatever happens happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If you go away traveling with the sole purpose of meeting someone romantically, you won't last 2 weeks.

Every night you go out you will be consumed with having to score or meet someone over a candlelit table. It may not happen.

And if it doesn't happen, what will you do then? You will be on your own in a foreign country feeling miserable wondering if your ex has met someone else.

Don't do it.

I could list 10 places right now where you could meet someone. But I won't, because:

a) they probably wouldn't be "special". It would more than likely be just a shallow shag, to them at least. Why? Because they are traveling the world and traveling the world is their priority. Scoring someone to sleep with is a bonus, not a purpose.

b) despite what you said in your post, I am going to give you advice. You need to deal with the break-up at home before you go anywhere. Otherwise you'll be in a state for months, if not longer.

This all might sound harsh but it's true. I wish you the best.

If you really must try getting over the ex by being with other people, then do it at home.

If you venture off to foreign lands to do it and it doesn't quite happen, you will probably never have felt so alone in all your life.

Good luck, hope you start feeling better soon.

K.

Agree with Kraggy. Not advice per se. But if you leave and deal with ex problems abroad you are only postponing dealing with them until you come back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Garrier

Thanks for what you have said people, the truth is i have already considered the points made and have decided i am going anyway. There is no point sitting around at home in the p1ssings of rain feeling sorry for myself.

so essentially, while i realise that i could meet someone anywhere, i want to increase my chances of doing so - if you can help with this, id love to hear from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Stay in hostels, you'll meet some great people along the way - guys and girls.

Go for the adventure - everything else is a bonus.. Look at it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i don't think you understand by going traveling you're probably ruining your chances. If by someone special you mean someone just out for a bit of fun for a few days or weeks then yeah traveling could bring no strings fun but if you're looking for a commitment or chance at a relationship, finding that while traveling is extremely unlikely.

Most of the girls you'll meet while away wont be from Ireland and even if they are they probably wont be from near you. There isn't a great chance that they'll drop their life where ever it is to be with someone they met while on holiday, or that they'll feel comfortable with you following them home.

Like mentioned already, most people travel to travel not to meet someone. If anything, strings attached is avoided.

there's also another side, it might seem a bit desperate to potential women if you're only traveling to meet someone. What if they found out?

It's perfectly alright to want to travel to get your head clear of your ex and its refreshing that you're being honest about what you hope will happen while away, i know a few people that secretly thought the same as you while traveling but wouldn't admit it until later. I think you just need to be realistic and remain honest with yourself. Would you be going traveling if you weren't lonely?

Ok, "special someone" was a misnomer. I want to meet some nice girls. It would not be the sole purpose of my trip. And yes, I would be going travelling regardless, its what i have always wanted to do and what i have done with myself several times in the past.

So folks, this is the travel forum, some travel suggestions please!

Colombia. Really friendly people and a beautiful country. Great place to try your hand at Spanish as it is pretty slow and understandle in a lot of regions. Not a huge amount of tourists but enough to meet people in close knit groups.

Guatemala. Another beautiful country with very friendly people. Lots of opportunities to volunteer or cool towns to hang around in for a while. Antigua is a great place to meet both locals and other tourists. Not a huge club scene type of place. More so the smaller more intimate bars.

Argentina. Full of tourists and Buenos Aires is a really nice city. Lots to do and there are some really good hostels. Big country so lots of places to see and do side tours.

Brazil is also another great country to meet people. Rio is an amazing city and if you get off into the jungle you can be with other tourists for up to a week and get to know them.

I don't like Australia but the hostels are full of other backpackers and a lot stick around to work. Easy to meet people there especially if you share a place with them or work in the same job. Same applies to New Zealand which i prefer a lot more.

Singapore/Malaysia. A lot of people in that region over look these 2 countries but i met loads of people there who i ended up traveling with for a while and still keep in contact with. Mainly due to the small type hostels where it is easy to meet people.

South East Asia is a beautiful region but isn't as easy to meet people if you are traveling on your own due to the fact that not many hostels exist. Everything is budget hotels and there are very little common areas. Easy to meet local girls though. Especially in Thailand and Vietnam. But they expect you to buy them drink and most people use them as prostitutes.

Another way i met loads of people that i have since stayed with and still talk to is through inter railing. No better way to get to know someone when having to sit next to them on a train for a few hours.

Thanks very much, exactly the type of thing im looking for :) some good info on places ive been considering. I didnt think of interrailing, might look into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

virtualtourist.com is a great website for looking up different places. I used it a lot on my travels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement