Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in city Centre.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Jesus just passed that a while ago aswell, hopefully nobody was seriously injured.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not a happy ending I'm afraid.
    Man dies escaping Limerick fire

Wednesday, 30 December 2009 07:28
    A man has died following a fire in an apartment block in Limerick city last night.
    It is thought the man, who was in his 30s, died as a result of injuries he sustained after jumping from a fourth floor window to escape the blaze.
    When emergency services arrived on the scene they found the victim impaled on railings outside the apartment complex.
    Advertisement

The man was taken to the Mid Western Regional Hospital, but was pronounced dead this morning when he succumbed to his injuries.
    A woman, thought to be in her late teens or early 20s, was also taken to hospital, where she was treated for smoke inhalation.
    This morning her condition is described as stable.
    Gardaí are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident, and a technical examination of the scene is expected to take place later.

Urgh. I actually pasted it in before reading thoroughly. What a way to go. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Sad news.

All those apartments are death traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

jmccoy wrote: »
    Sad news.

All those apartments are death traps.

Yeah hopefully this time those landlords will learn their lesson.

An old couple died in April 04

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The railings are lethal, there was a man killed on lower Mallow street at the start of the year after falling out of an apartment window and landing on them, similar top how the guy last night landed on railings.

Not sure if it was a fire back then that caused him to come out the window, but it was a nasty way to go for both huim and the guy last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

thats very sad news..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jessica.

Oh my God!
    That is really sad! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

That whole part of town is a death trap, there was a building on the verge of collapsing around that part earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kat24

God, thats terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Drove past there last night on way to railway station.

The building regulations state that each apartment should be compartmentalised and protected on all sides by material giving at least one hour fire resistance. That is to say, the walls, ceilings, floors would contain a fire for at least one hour. The doors should then afford 30 minutes fire and smoke protewction.

Based on a cursory glance last nigh, I doubt these apartments complied. I have spoken to Limerick City Council Fire Officers about other buildings that constitute a fire hazard and they say they do not have the resources to inspect all buildings. they arre aware that many building are potentially dangerouse. They may have time now as the buildiung boom has ended.

I sincerely hope there is an inquiry and the owner is brought to account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

My understanding of the unfortunate incident that it was not the fire that caused the fatality but the fall onto railings. No doubt there will be an inquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Not seen the news until now, People I talked too said
    the poor guy got impaled on the railings but dunno
    if that was just idle gossip or fact.

It's odd cos the photos look like a building up near the dole office where a couple of years ago another bloke jumped out the window right onto the railings and got impaled and died.

not a whole lot of info on the nine o clock news.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

bullets wrote: »
    It's odd cos the photos look like a building up near the dole office where a couple of years ago another bloke jumped out the window right onto the railings and got impaled and died.

~B
    Talking to a colleague and he said that happened about 5 years ago, definitely more than 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Kess73 wrote: »
    The railings are lethal, there was a man killed on lower Mallow street at the start of the year after falling out of an apartment window and landing on them, similar top how the guy last night landed on railings.
    I was saying to my mother that it happened before and I couldn't remember where or when, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Hooked

Investigation called for after fatal city fire

The scene of Tuesday's fire

ADVERTISEMENT

Published Date: 31 December 2009
    By David Hurley
    PROMINENT city councillor, Pat Kennedy, has called for a "full scale" investigation to be conducted into the standards of rental accommodation across the city after a 31-year-old man died on Tuesday night as he tried to escape from a blazing building at Upper Cecil Street.
    Brian Power-Close, who was originally from Lynwood Park, fell from a fourth-floor window and became impaled on railings at street level.

He died in hospital from his injuries a short time later. A number of other people, including three pregnant women, had to be evacuated from the building but none sustained life-threatening injuries.

"I am calling for a full-scale investigation to be carried out into all aspects of this fire and I think it should be extended to cover all of the city because there are apartments in the city centre that I feel should not be let out at all. This was something that was waiting to happen," Cllr Kennedy told the Limerick Leader.

"I am unhappy that some tenants that I know (in the city centre) are unsafe and I feel that multi-story ad-hoc apartment blocks are serious fire traps with a serious risk of inferno," he added.

The cause of Tuesday night's fire is yet to be established although initial forensic tests suggest it was started by an electrical fault in the laundry room of the four-floor apartment complex.

"We are still trying to establish what caused the fire and at the moment we are looking at equipment in the laundry room," said Supt Frank O'Brien of Henry Street Garda station.

Four fire brigades attended the scene of the fire as did three ambulances after the alarm was raised shortly before 9 o'clock on Tuesday night.

Fourteen-year-old Rebecca McCarthy from Garryowen was in a first-floor apartment when the fire broke out. "We would not have gotten out if it wasn't for a man who started shouting at us, we had to jump out the window and when we got out we could see him (Brian Power-Close) on the top floor," she said describing how she saw Mr Power-Close fall onto the railings.

"He slipped but managed to hang on with his two hands but then he fell and landed on the railings. He was bleeding an awful lot and there was blood pouring out of him. I was talking to him and I told him an ambulance was on the way and to keep talking to me. It was a very frightening experience and I was the last person to speak to him so it is very upsetting to think about it," she said.

The funeral of Mr Power-Close is expected to take place this weekend.

We may not have spoken in years, but we did get up to some mischief when we were kids! Seeing as there are few mentions in the local press and radio the last few days... I just wanted those from Garryowen, Lynwood, the surrounding areras, and St Brigids NS - who may have known Brian to be aware of his tragic passing.

Rest in Peace Closey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

God that is shocking.
    I haven't talked to him in years but as soon as I read that name it knocked me for six.
    I was more friends with his brother, but used to pall around with him as kids too.

R.I.P Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Are these hse housing?prob not a great standard

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Hooked wrote: »
    We may not have spoken in years, but we did get up to some mischief when we were kids! Seeing as there are few mentions in the local press and radio the last few days... I just wanted those from Garryowen, Lynwood, the surrounding areras, and St Brigids NS - who may have known Brian to be aware of his tragic passing.

Rest in Peace Closey.

So sad to hear this about Brian. I never really saw him since he moved to Germany but he was a completely unforgettable person. I think all my funniest memories of primary school involve Brian.

Advertisement