Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Starters?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

HI Guys

I'm looking for some suggestions for recepies for simple/easy to make yet tasty starters.

My Initial idea was large mushrooms lightly fried whole then with the middle scouped out and peato placed in the center topped with mozzarella and baked for a few minutes.
    I'm making dinner for my GF for the first time and want to do well with the dinner and dont want to spend too much time on the starter as my miltitasking is not great. Any ideas would be great thank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

spoofilyj wrote: »
    HI Guys

I'm looking for some suggestions for recepies for simple/easy to make yet tasty starters.

My Initial idea was large mushrooms lightly fried whole then with the middle scouped out and peato placed in the center topped with mozzarella and baked for a few minutes.
    I'm making dinner for my GF for the first time and want to do well with the dinner and dont want to spend too much time on the starter as my miltitasking is not great. Any ideas would be great thank.

Plenty of options out there (check out www.bbcgoodfood.com)

If you want to keep it simple then a Caprese salad is not a bad option. Just slice some mozzerella, tomato, layer and drizzle over some oliver oil and sage leaves.

Melon and Parma ham is also simple but good

• I think some kind of salad is always a good idea because then you're not trying to cook the starter at the same time as the main. I sometimes do mini caesar salad or greek salad. If I cook something I keep it very simple, sometimes king prawns fried in crushed garlic, or roasted vegetable kebabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Something like Fresh Crab meet with rocket salad , drisseled with EV Olive oil, black peper and flavoured with dill, served with homemade mayonaise...all can be prepared in advance...as an alternative, google a good recipie for crab cakes, which again can be prepared ahead of time.....after that, simple good quality italian bread, lashings of EV olive oil, sea salt and black pepper and garlic, fried in a pan till crispy, served with generous portion of basil, parma ham and freshly grated parmazan...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

My favourite starter at the moment is to buy a large baguette and cut it into slices. Then buy a nice pate (M&S do a lovely one). Toast the baguette slices and put on the pate.

Absolutely gorgeous and very easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Homemade garlic mushrooms are delicious,easy to prepare and cook. All you need is crushed garlic, butter, breadcrumbs and some large, flat mushrooms. I start by washing mushrooms and scooping out the middle and then dry with clean teatowel. Then, I spoon breadcrumbs onto the mushrooms. I then begin to make the garlic butter with the crushed garlic and butter. I usually do this in the microwave. Alternatively, you can just use shop bought garlic butter. Then pour as much garlic butter onto the breadcrumbs, bong into the oven for around 40mins or when nice and crispy on top. Maybe you should do a test drive before the big night and make sure you have some after dinner mints ready!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

My new mushroom thing is saute them in real butter, then just before they're finished add lemon juice and hot sauce/chilli. works well if you're doing a bunch of tapas style starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

bruschetta. buy garlic bread & you can prepare tomatoes ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

What is the main course? It would be easier to suggest something knowing this.

Your mushrooms sound lovely anyway, but might be a bit of a faff when you need to be looking after everything else. You need something you can make ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 michele28564

Easiest starter ever - melon, grape and mint cocktail... scoop out a melon with a melon baller, add some green and red grapes, followed by some fresh mint chopped into small pieces. get some freshly squeezed orange juice and pour over together with the juice of one lemon. taste and if a bit sharp add a couple of spoons of suger. make the day b4 and it tastes really yummy. good luck

Advertisement