Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Paralysis

Options
  • 30-12-2009 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Woke up the other morning with sleep paralysis. Seriously one of the most freaky experiences ever. I literally couldn't move for a few seconds then snapped out of it. Have any other people experienced this strange phenomenon?? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 irishbambi

My boyfriend suffers with it, wakes up in the middle of the night and cant move, and sees the shadow of a person standing in his room, or hears a kinda static noise. It sounds terrifying, and i cant find any cure for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Big thread on it somewhere, happens about twice a week to me. Unpleasant, but I'm used to it - and competely harmless so dont worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Saw a documentary on it once...teffifying stuff. Some chap had it where the shadow used to crawl up the bed on to his chest so he couldn't breathe. Ended up topping himself as he got crippling insomnia, due to the fact he was afraid to sleep :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Plenty of interesting literature and studies on the similarity of experience and associated folklore across cultures. 'Nightmare' derives from the German variant and similar stories of 'witch sitting' (the chest pressure which is very uncomfortable) can be found across the world. Recently i seem to have control of my right foot throughout the event... Try not to sleep on your back if it does happen, it tends to make an episode more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

It's pretty common.

I have had this, it was pretty bad a couple of years ago, the worst episode consisting of a demon like figure sat on my chest, an inch away from my face, screaming at me. Needless to say, i didn't sleep again that night.

I figure it's the fright of not being able to move and still being in a weird state that combines being awake and dreaming at the same time, the terror of not being able to move quickly conjurs up an equally if not more terrifying dream.

Ever since i have come to this conclusion the nightmare aspect of it has faded and when i get it, which i don't think i have for a while now, i just lie there pretty calm waiting for the paralysis to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

My light was actually on when I experienced this so I did not see the Devil - I have night terrors. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I get it when stressed...or when the power cuts which is even more terrifiying!

waking up in a darkned room unable too move ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Used to have it for years. Once you learn to understand what it is, you can relax when it happens a bit more. When it first happens and you don't know what it is, you freak out.

I used to get it when I was falling asleep, opposed to waking up. It would feel like I was literally being sucked into my sleep, but I was still conciously awake and couldn't move. Freaky stuff, but I don't worry about it now cos I'm wise to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

"the auld hag"

Annoying bitch she is.. Absolutely horrible feeling. Sister used to hear someone coming up the stairs and opening here door then sense them walking to the end of the bed crawling onto it and then she would get it. Horrible.

Don't know how to explain her experiences of it but i've only got it 3 or 4 times i knew what it was the first time i got it so was alright.

Can only imagine how much you would sh*t yourself if you didn't know what it was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Have had this a few times, thought it was just bad dreams etc but Ive had the feeling that someone else came into the room, heard undiscernable noises too. Sometimes felt as if I floated a bit but struggled to correct myself. Very weird sensation of being in control of your dream and yet not??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

I had it last night for about the 3rd or 4th time in 12months, was the worst ever, had a huge vulcher type bird trying to eat me, cant sleep tonight :( realy hate this

They are horrible and I used to suffer greatly with them. The only way I could get out of it was to scream. (When living in a house-share it's hardly ideal:P) I learned to go with it. Nothing bad is going to happen, it's just a dream, terrifying, but not real. The attacks have subsided and when they do happen, I just lay there and let it take over. Couple of minutes later, I either fall asleep again, or come round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daydreamers

I had my first one when i was about 15, and i suffered at least 4 a week for months without telling anyone because i honestly thought i was loosing my mind! when i eventually told my mom she said that she suffered from it as well and told me its harmless.

I'm 23 now, and still have regular episodes but you just learn to live with it, they are not all scary though, sometimes you have a "floating" experience which can be pretty cool!

so don't panic (easier said then done, i know)...if it happens again all you can do really is just ride it out, or you could concentrate really hard on trying to move a tiny part of your body like your eyes, fingers or toes that can usually helps me snap out of it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

Have got this many a time after a serious session or a long period without sleep. Most terrifying was about 6 year's ago when i had to watch the devil's shadow slowly crawl all the way up to my face & just let out a massive roar before i saw it,got straight up & didn't go back to sleep for awhile,scary **** :eek:

Amazed to see that other people have experienced similar either with a shadow or the devil! Havent had it now in awhile as i've toned down my partying,used always get it in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

I had my first one when i was about 15, and i suffered at least 4 a week for months without telling anyone because i honestly thought i was loosing my mind! when i eventually told my mom she said that she suffered from it as well and told me its harmless.

I'm 23 now, and still have regular episodes but you just learn to live with it, they are not all scary though, sometimes you have a "floating" experience which can be pretty cool!

so don't panic (easier said then done, i know)...if it happens again all you can do really is just ride it out, or you could concentrate really hard on trying to move a tiny part of your body like your eyes, fingers or toes that can usually helps me snap out of it!

I had these occur many times in the past, not for a few years though, with the loud noises and the heavy weight on the chest and I've also had the floating experience which I agree is really cool if you know that its all harmless and not real. I even managed to float out the window and down the street :D,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Agree with an earlier poster...sleeping on your back doesnt help this situation, try roll over to a side. If you feel your arm is being dragged under the bed towards the floor..Shout at the top of your voice 'I am in control' Pray to god He is not behind you..someody must hear you and rectify you position...

Advertisement