Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video conversion CPU usage

• 30-12-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm having consistent problems on my pc converting/encoding files. Shortly after beginning the conversion my CPU usage shoots up to 100% and stays around there with a really loud annoying alarm going off until eventually the pc gives up and shuts down. I have tried Super, Handbrake, Videora etc and it's not the software that's the problem it seems that it's the hardware. My pc though I would have thought has more than enough spec to handle this:
    MS Vista SP2, Intel Core2 CPU 6600@ 2.40ghz, 2gb RAM.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Sometimes if the file is relatively small I will just have to put up with the alarm (which cant be shut off anyway), however if the file is anyway large the pc will eventually shut off.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The problem here is that something is overheating. 100% cpu usage during video conversion is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about in the slightest.

Did you build the machine yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Khannie is spot on.The loud alarm is telling you that the CPU tempreture is outside of normal range,and the CPU shutting down is a self protection method

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers folks. No didn't build it myself. It only happens when converting files and even if nothing else is running.

Yeah, converting video files causes all of the CPU to be used which generates a lot of heat. I'd suggest you get in touch with whoever you bought the computer off and let them know. Sounds like the heatsink has come loose or the thermal paste needs to be reapplied.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Or a serious amount of dust has built up inside.

Get a can of compressed air and open up the case and clean it out before going back to the manufacturer.

• Advertisement

Cheers I'll try that

Okay. I'm in trouble. After watching many youtube clips on how to clean out the inside, CPU etc I went ahead. No probs, used compressed air after unplugging the CPU fan (there was a serious amount of crap). Plugged all back in and....trouble. The pc powers up for a second, powers off and restarts. The alarm then goes off. If it's lucky I will get as far as a black screen which tells me that - windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software may be the cause. Then it gives me 3 options 1. Inserting the window installation disc. 2. Choose language settings and hit next. 3. Repair your computer. Below this there are the usual safe mode options. However if I manage to get as far as this screen it shuts down almost immediately. HELP - what have I done?

TheBazman wrote: »
    Okay. I'm in trouble. After watching many youtube clips on how to clean out the inside, CPU etc I went ahead. No probs, used compressed air after unplugging the CPU fan (there was a serious amount of crap). Plugged all back in and....trouble. The pc powers up for a second, powers off and restarts. The alarm then goes off. If it's lucky I will get as far as a black screen which tells me that - windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software may be the cause. Then it gives me 3 options 1. Inserting the window installation disc. 2. Choose language settings and hit next. 3. Repair your computer. Below this there are the usual safe mode options. However if I manage to get as far as this screen it shuts down almost immediately. HELP - what have I done?

Ok the good news is that I am back on the pc as opposed to the iphone as per the above msg, however I think it is only a workaround. I went back and took everything apart and put it back together again. The bloody screws on the CPU are awkward and I'm thinking they may not have been tight enough. Anyway restarted, alarm goes off and on one of the first screens it says "CPU is unworkable or has changed" (??) Anyway I do into one of the (BIOS?) menus where there is a pc health check option (really flying blind here). I change the settings on the CPU shutdown temperature to DISABLED and the CPU warning temperature up from 80 degrees to 98 degrees. Anyway all seems fine now. I also have some Everest software installed which shows the CPU temps and currently it's at 73 deg, with CPU1 Core1 at 59 deg and and CPU1 core 2 at 57 deg. Now I will go back and put the settings on the BIOS screen back to where they were as well as watching out for any CPU errors, however I would appreciated if anyone has any thoughts on what happened, or indeed on what I have done. Also is there a way to double check the current CPU temp (bit paranoid now).

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

You don't want to turn off the CPU thermal shutdown. Its there for a reason.

Something is gone seriously wrong with either your cooling system, or perhaps the temp sensor. But either way, I wouldn't disable the thermal shutdown, you'll end up frying your CPU.

You don't want to turn off the CPU thermal shutdown. Its there for a reason.

Something is gone seriously wrong with either your cooling system, or perhaps the temp sensor. But either way, I wouldn't disable the thermal shutdown, you'll end up frying your CPU.

Absolutely - I just did it to try get the pc started and some semblance of normality. Now that I have that I am going back to re-enable everything. I need to get some thermal paste and try that aswell. I'm just reading up on CPU temps and most places say 50-60deg is normal. Mine are currently
    Motherboard 27 deg
    CPU 81 deg
    CPU Core1 63 deg
    CPU Core2 62 deg
    PWM 36 deg
    I'm wondering if the 50-60 they refer to is the CPU or the individual Core1 and Core 2 CPU's or indeed the motherboard. If it is just the CPU then I am still overheating

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Are those temps idle or load?

Idle, unfortunately - CPU moving between say 65-85% idle. Too high I know. I have ordered thermal paste and in the mean time I am not going to do anything on the pc except very light stuff (and backing up everything that isnt already on external hard drives). Unfortunately I think there is something more serious wrong so if it doesnt improve after putting on new thermal paste I will have to bring it somewhere. I'm not sure where will be the best place to sort it out though

When you said you unplugged the CPU fan,you mean you disconnected the fan from the header on your motherboard right ?

yeah thats right - just unclipped the lead/cable that goes from the CPU fan to the motherboard

I have some thermal paste that you're welcome to borrow. I wouldn't use a computer that didn't have a properly seated heatsink. It's a difficult enough thing to get right first time, but if you don't have it done properly and use the computer you'll make absolute muck of your processor. Make sure the screws connecting the heatink to the motherboard are on tight.

There are decent instructions on the arctic silver website. (google)

yeah thats right - just unclipped the lead/cable that goes from the CPU fan to the motherboard

Hm,well I'd say your right by reapplying the thermal paste anyway

Cheers folks - yeah I'm only using the pc at the moment to back up stuff onto external hds. I'm also monitoring the CPU temp at all times. Given that the alarm was set at 80 deg and the Automatic CPU shut down was at 90 deg, and given that I was having the alarm and shut down problem for several months, I would imagine that whatever I did yesterday (cleaning the CPU etc) hasnt made it much worse (although admittedly not much better).

Anyway when things are backed up today I will reexamine the screws on the CPU and will see if reattaching makes any difference. I think ultimately though if the thermal paste doesnt work I will bring it somewhere to have it fixed.

Thanks Khannie for the offer but I have ordered some off the web so should be here in a couple of days

Cheers folks - yeah I'm only using the pc at the moment to back up stuff onto external hds. I'm also monitoring the CPU temp at all times. Given that the alarm was set at 80 deg and the Automatic CPU shut down was at 90 deg, and given that I was having the alarm and shut down problem for several months, I would imagine that whatever I did yesterday (cleaning the CPU etc) hasnt made it much worse (although admittedly not much better).

Anyway when things are backed up today I will reexamine the screws on the CPU and will see if reattaching makes any difference. I think ultimately though if the thermal paste doesnt work I will bring it somewhere to have it fixed.

Thanks Khannie for the offer but I have ordered some off the web so should be here in a couple of days

Screws,so its an aftermarket cooler right ?

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Screws,so its an aftermarket cooler right ?

It was on the pc when I got it (thru's Komplett a couple of years back). They are sort of rivot screws, half a twist to open and close...in theory. I have watched a few youtube clips and all the cpu fans have had screws

It was on the pc when I got it (thru's Komplett a couple of years back). They are sort of rivot screws, half a twist to open and close...in theory. I have watched a few youtube clips and all the cpu fans have had screws

Are the rivits plastic ? Sound like push-pins to me.

That could be another problem,the bundled Intel cooler is highly inefficient for quads

• Advertisement

Yeah plastic rivots

Advertisement