Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overhead lines down - DART disrupted

• 30-12-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

been sitting on a dart between blackrook and booterstown for past half an hour. No power, apparently we're being detrained!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

role out the 141's for rescue duty, oh wait they got rid of them all
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

A truck has apparently brought down the wires at Merrion Gates.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=602

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

role out the 141's for rescue duty, oh wait the got rid of them all
    :pac:

A 29K can do that!

http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p55179324.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

at least the dart is getting a good wash with the waves coming over the wall!

The genius truck driver in question had a lifting arm on the back of the truck which pulled down barriers, and extensive overhead wiring (as well as phone wiring in the area), and he subsequently fled the scene. Prosecution will follow.

That's a very unprofessional statement from a company :eek:
    Almost as bad as the driver :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

they called him an idiot on twitter!

deRanged wrote: »
    they called him an idiot on twitter!

well twitter isn't an official company website is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Fair play to them,tell it like it is!:)

no, but it's the official irish rail account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ihis could have been a deliberate act of terrorism :eek:

We need tough new legislation to restrict such trucks with cranes and hiabs to travel within 1/2 a kilometer of any overhead dart or Lus line. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Given the number and regularity of bridge strikes, I think they use this sort of language on purpose - since being nice and corporate about it hasn't made any difference...

D.

Any pics up yet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Found it quite funny "Corporate communications" issued a statement like that, the term "Corporate Communications" conveys the image of someone big and important and highly professional, when the statement does the complete opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

devnull wrote: »
    Found it quite funny "Corporate communications" issued a statement like that, the term "Corporate Communications" conveys the image of someone big and important and highly professional, when the statement does the complete opposite.

Maybe it's an intern/trainee manning the IE PR machine over the xmas/new year period.:pac::pac:

well it captures the frustation of people that were stuck on the train for over an hour before having to walk the tracks a couple hundred yards in the gale this morning. There were a few elderly people as well as pregnant women on the train. All had to get out thru the drivers cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Goonerette

It was awful. When the power got cut off, we were left sitting there in the freezing cold for over an hour before having to walk outside on the tracks as the waves were splashing salt water all over us. I was 2.5 hours late for work this morning. I got there completely drenched. :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

pfff, I found it refreshingly honest, why the need to be politically correct about someone who tears down a load of expensive infrastructure and then runs away?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Did everyone have to leave through drivers cab on safety grounds? Is there any reason they could not open a few more set of doors seeing as I would assume they have a door control over-ride for these situations when power is out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

devnull wrote: »
    Did everyone have to leave through drivers cab on safety grounds? Is there any reason they could not open a few more set of doors seeing as I would assume they have a door control over-ride for these situations when power is out?
    After seeing DubOnHoliday's photos, there is far too much ground clearance to ensure a safe exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

I think whomever in IR issued the statement should be congratulated - about time we see something as refreshingly honest as this media release.

I'd imagine they consider it in the same way as any outlet which they can control (e.g. like their own website) - and use it accordingly.

• Advertisement

it got them a ton of attention, which has to be a result for a press release/alert.

dcr22B wrote: »
    After seeing DubOnHoliday's photos, there is far too much ground clearance to ensure a safe exit.

Dart2.jpg
    Dart1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Did IÉ hand out the waterproof refund forms???

Do they not sue these guys and publish the settlement as a deterrant?
    Are overheight vehicles not breaking a law? are they not convicted if there is a law? if there isn't a law why the feic not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Bad news folks!
    UPDATE Unfortunately, it is not expected that services will return to normal for the remainder of today. Our repair teams are targetting 6am on Thursday 31st December for services to resume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

There can be accidents but in 90% of these overheard wire or bridge strikes it's drivers being idiots and not knowing the height of their load. It should be a minimum of 5 years haulage license suspension and €5000 fine, these idiots cost the economy millions in lost productivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No speculation on the driver's identity please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The Fact that that guy ran away says 2 things:

1: The Truck was not his, very likely to have been stolen.
    2: It was a deliberate Act.

Even the dumbest of people know that if the reg plate on the truck is captured then they can tie that back to the person that owns it/was driving it on that day. Therefore running away would serve no purpose except to get yourself in more trouble

Also, No one would accidentally drive a truck around with the lifting arm up. There is no way you could miss it.

I really think this may have been a deliberate act.
    Of All the Level crossing that he could have hit too, he hit the one which would bring the city to a stand still.

grahambo wrote: »
    The Fact that that guy ran away says 2 things:

1: The Truck was not his, very likely to have been stolen.
    2: It was a deliberate Act.

Even the dumbest of people know that if the reg plate on the truck is captured then they can tie that back to the person that owns it/was driving it on that day. Therefore running away would serve no purpose except to get yourself in more trouble

Also, No one would accidentally drive a truck around with the lifting arm up. There is no way you could miss it.

I really think this may have been a deliberate act.
    Of All the Level crossing that he could have hit too, he hit the one which would bring the city to a stand still.
    I had my suspicions of something dodgy this morning and this was before the statement came out, I saw the mess this afternoon on the way into town..

I'm surprised they don't have "battle ship" style gantries leading up to these crossings. They are now required by law if you are working with plant near overhead ESB cables, at least it would take the crane off the back of the truck before it hits the overhead wires,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Is it not possible to signpost diversions and detours properly in this country?
    I was out Strand Road this afternoon, I hadn't heard about the incident. At the roundabout at Sydney Parade Avenue was a lone Garda car with a blue arrow on the roof diverting you up Sydney Parade Ave. That was it! No further signs to redirect you back on to your route.
    All very well for the natives but a stranger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

One solution for this crossing would be to infill the seaward side of the railway line sufficient to extend Strand Road along the sea and across an overbridge to Trimleston Rd/Rock Road Junction. The LC could then be closed and the railway would have a little more protection from the sea, plus a boardwalk along Strand Road could provide a public amenity which (the boardwalk) could be extended further south over time.

If a sufficiently wide infill was done, space could be left for a third track between Merrion Gates and Blackrock which could be used to permit overtaking between a Rosslare service and a DART which could pull into the other side of the Booterstown seaward platform and hold until the other train passed.

The interconnector and metro north will produce lots of tunnel fill needing somewhere to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

There is always trucks crashing through the barriers at Merrion Gates.

However just been viewing the link on the IE website.

Its the worst incident of damage in 25 years to the overhead lines.

I my opionion the driver of the truck should be jailed.

I hope the CCTV cameras got the registration plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Oh dear, would not like to be the driver/owner of the truck as the Police have the registration number from the CCTV footage.

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=28707&locID=1.2.141.&pagename=home

Railway Safety Act 2005

Section 115. 2005 31

Deliberate or wanton damage to railway.
    115.—A person who deliberately or wantonly causes or attempts to cause damage to any railway property is guilty of an offence.

Penalty on conviction is imprisonment up to a 3yr term or a fine not exceeding €100,000 or both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Image from IR of the incident :
    http://twitpic.com/vwb96

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ihis could have been a deliberate act of terrorism :eek:

We need tough new legislation to restrict such trucks with cranes and hiabs to travel within 1/2 a kilometer of any overhead dart or Lus line. :D

No. We need to get rid of the fúcking level crossings.

Truck driver should be fined for hitting the wires - accidents do happen - but punished heavily for leaving the scene and NOT declaring himself to Gardaí during the hours afterwards. Don't know about jail, we all panic sometimes. I wouldn't want to stick around either, would happily walk into a Garda station 30mins later rather than face the music at the scene. I'd still stay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I my opinion the driver of the truck should be jailed.

He should have the book thrown at him and any other furniture lying around the courtroom. That's the most serious incident I have ever seen on the Dart line.

• Advertisement

Hungerford wrote: »
    He should have the book thrown at him and any other furniture lying around the courtroom. That's the most serious incident I have ever seen on the Dart line.
    Rightly so, If he had did the same damage to a bridge or unmanned cossing down te country where there was nobody to assist flagging down rail traffi and left the scene the consequences could have been unimaginable. I hope he gets caught and locked up and never let behind the wheel of anything for a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dowlingm wrote: »
    One solution for this crossing would be to infill the seaward side of the railway line sufficient to extend Strand Road along the sea and across an overbridge to Trimleston Rd/Rock Road Junction. The LC could then be closed and the railway would have a little more protection from the sea, plus a boardwalk along Strand Road could provide a public amenity which (the boardwalk) could be extended further south over time.

If a sufficiently wide infill was done, space could be left for a third track between Merrion Gates and Blackrock which could be used to permit overtaking between a Rosslare service and a DART which could pull into the other side of the Booterstown seaward platform and hold until the other train passed.

The interconnector and metro north will produce lots of tunnel fill needing somewhere to go...

Your proposal sounds like the Eastern Bypass by another name. :D No chance! The simple truth of the matter is there are far too many rogue truck operators on the loose in Ireland today and these sort of accidents will continue to occurr until the legislators, gardai etc. get on top of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Your proposal sounds like the Eastern Bypass by another name. :D No chance! The simple truth of the matter is there are far too many rogue truck operators on the loose in Ireland today and these sort of accidents will continue to occurr until the legislators, gardai etc. get on top of the situation.

Yeah, it's far better to let rail passengers suffer no service than engineer a solution. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your proposal sounds like the Eastern Bypass by another name. :D No chance!

I thought full grade seperation of the DART line was on the medium-term projects list? (the same projects list where the resignalling with associated grade-seperation of the Maynooth line is seen as 'near term', of course) Its not that improbable at all.

• Advertisement

Was the original plan for the DART not to have a separated crossing at Merrion, rail over road tunnel?

Was rejected on cost basis way back in late 70's early 80's or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Any ideas on the quickest bus to Dun Laoghaire from the city centre to connect up with the Dart south ?

Any ideas on the quickest bus to Dun Laoghaire from the city centre to connect up with the Dart south ?

7, 7a go coast road, quicker than 46a, 746 which go via the Stillorgan DC.
    from DL to town can be 25-45 mins depending on traffic

The genius truck driver in question had a lifting arm on the back of the truck which pulled down barriers, and extensive overhead wiring (as well as phone wiring in the area), and he subsequently fled the scene. Prosecution will follow.

Almost as bad as the driver :pac::

Tis gone now, someone important must be in today

awaiting announcement that service wont be restored till tomorrow... they'll hardly restore it for a couple of hours this afternoon....thankfully I drove in today!

I wouldn't like to see the claim against the truck drivers insurance:eek:

Iarnrod Eireann have already stated that costs would be substantial.

How could Iarnrod Eireann quantify the amount of money owed to Bus Eireann over acknowledge dart tickets?

I wouldn't like to see the claim against the truck drivers insurance:eek:

Iarnrod Eireann have already stated that costs would be substantial.

Thats exactly what insurance is for though
    How could Iarnrod Eireann quantify the amount of money owed to Bus Eireann over acknowledge dart tickets?

Its all CIE so essentially the net cost is zero. I highly doubt they owe Bus Eireann anything as its within Dublin and would affect very few BE routes apart from 133 and 002 I'd imagine. As for DB, since the buses were running anyway there is no extra cost burden apart from minor fuel increases. Only if DB had to put on extra buses should the costs be acknowledge. Similar to inter-division selling for a company

Thats exactly what insurance is for though
    Another question, was he covered? :confused:

Another question, was he covered? :confused:

That is the real question me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-to-question-trucker-in-dart-debacle-1994779.html

So big faceless organisation - Iarnrod Eireann, can call names to a someone who made a mistake.

I wonder if they are into name calling for those who failed to inspect the Malahide estuary bridge properly or those who were found to be pilphering the organisation as revealed by the CAAG earlier this year??

• Advertisement
Advertisement