Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for choosing a new ISP?

• 30-12-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey everyone, since I joined smart and am on their redistributed eircom product, my speed has been useless (normally around 300kbps on a 7Mb line). They even advised to go back to eircom because there is nothing they can do about it. Brilliant company :). Should I look for an alternative company to join or should I just head back to eircom?

I'm wondering if it's worth my while because apparently eircom just gimp all their redistributed products so unless you go with them you can expect a sh*te service. Any experience or thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Before suggesting alternate providers, what state is your phone line in? Would you be able to go to:

speedtest.net & pingtest.net and post up your results? Do you know how to get to the modem status page where it list attenuations, signal to noise ratios etc.? Reason being, ADSL mightn't be for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 falinx

a turn of irony,

my girlfriends sister messed up her machine and I had to redo her computer and in turn she had not written down the passwords for her routers etc. Basically I had to sort the machine out then configure the routers as well. I brought her routers to my line to configure them and guess what, 1mb line with 1mb speeds. So it's not my exchange that's the problem it's the craptacular service of smart. And there's me believing their story that eircom isn't going to sort out the issue. I must say sorry eircom, I didn't realise smart were this incompetent. Problem officially solved. Service provider turned out to be a batch of retards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

maybe 7meg is faster than what your line can handle, and trying someone elses 1 meg username proves that some form of dsl will work.... but seeing as you know better I'll let you off ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 falinx

thanks for the interest Dardania, and if I was stuck I would have questions but I must point out that I don't think you read my post properly. I didn't try just her username, I used her routing equipment and account on my line.

Also if the line couldn't carry 7mb it wouldn't connect at 7mb which is what the router is definitely stating it is so the line must have the capability. The thing that upsets me though is I was hoping for even like 2mb speeds, and I wouldn't complain at all but the fact the absolute max I've had is around 400kbps, that's just not a service I'm willing to pay for :)

Advertisement