Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Danger for any outdoor Pets

Options
  • 30-12-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

Please be advised that temperatures are set to drop even lower next week. One forecast site is showing -4c as a daytime temperature for "warm" Galway. Night temperatures could easily reach -10 & lower. There is no sign of warmer weather.

These lows pose a serious health risk for most animals. Move any small animals into sheds/garages & cover hutches in blankets etc. Dogs need to come indoors or at least in warm outbuildings & they may need more food - shivering uses up a lot of calories. With daytime temperatures staying so low animals will not get a chance to warm up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

oh my god thats crazy! I thought the worst of the weather was over!

Its the stray animals that I worry about! Hopefully if anyone comes across any they will take them in.

BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Its very upsetting to think that people would leave animals out in that weather... They dont deserve them if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I personally know of 6 dogs within half a mile of me who are outside, on short chains, & only have an open fronted kennel for shelter. Their owners do not care at all. One of them leaves the door open on an old car so that "the dog can get in out of the cold". Try sitting in your car for a while with the engine not running & the door open.

Plenty of "caring" owners will have the dog sleeping outside in his "warm" kennel. Get a cheap digital thermometer & you may be surprised at just how cold your "warm" kennel really is.

My two sleep in a small conservatory. Last week the indoor temperature fell to 7c at night which is why they each have an electric heat pad. The pads are cheap to buy, very cheap to run & make a huge difference. They are available in two versions, a metal plate for dogs that chew & a flexible pad for dogs that don't. The pads run via a low voltage adapter so they are totally safe & they use about 12 watts which is nothing.

An individual Pad out of its velour cover:
    11102009188.jpg

Two Pads tied to the ortho foam to prevent wrinkling. A faux fur cover goes over the entire bed. Note that the pads do not cover the whole bed so there are cooler areas:
    11102009189.jpg

Finally a cheap thermostatic adapter switches the pads on at a preset temperature - available from B&Q. The pads only give off a small amount of heat & have overheat protection. They are widely available on ebay. The ones that I use are from Petnap:
    11102009191.jpg

Proof of the pudding is that even my Greyhound stays cosy & has nice warm ears in the morning. I tried using one pad but they kept pushing each other out of the way to get on the warm bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

Discodog... You're brilliant. where can I get the metal plate??? (oops, never mind, just saw your reference to petnap - thank you!)

I think its a fab idea as my little one cant help ripping out all her bedding (even if shes left for 20 minutes). Its her daily challenge. :D

Ive stapled bedding to the floor of her kennel and like magic, mins later its in the garden.

Christmas eve, she was left in the garden for 20 minutes while I nipped to the shop. (believe me, she did not want to be in the house)
    I arrive back and the little twit is not in her kennel but in the middle of the lawn, curled up in a ball, shivering like crazy with sleet falling on her. :mad:

now if i could only buy her some sense.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

The weather really is awful, our dogs normally sleep in the garage but they've been in the house since the colder weather started, now with the stormy weather the other half is seriously considering taking the 2 sheep into the house too :D I keep telling him that a straw filled shelter is grand and cosy for them and most sheep don't even get that but it doesn't stop him worrying about preveiling winds and checking on them 3 times a day :rolleyes: Don't think adding 2 non housetrained sheep to the 6 dogs and 2 rabbits already in residence in the house would be a good recipe for harmony!

• Advertisement

Kiya: The metal type are also made by Petnap & are on ebay - just type petnap into the ebay search. They come with good detailed instructions that you must follow. You need to ideally prevent the dog from touching the pad & you must not put too much bedding on top of the pad otherwise the heat will not penetrate through. I know someone who puts theirs in a tough, nylon, chew proof bag.

One drawback, it will come in a printed box which may give your postman a laugh. Mine could not believe that I had bought an "electric blanket" for a dog !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

we had hot water bottles for the rabbits last year - they are coming into the puppy shed this year with plenty of straw

the puppies are in the kitchen overnight

Pearl loves her heated bed but nothing beats this one:
    10102009184.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

We use these they're pretty good.

Zap them in the microwave for 5 mins or so.
    They retain heat for hours.

Handy where you may not have power for heat pads

Disadvantage - smallish and rock hard

http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/heatpad.htm

Seven Worlds will Collide

We use these they're pretty good.

Zap them in the microwave for 5 mins or so.
    They retain heat for hours.

Disadvantage - smallish and rock hard

http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/heatpad.htm

Hmmmm.... Maybe should get these for sheep, might keep hubby from worrying :D

• Advertisement

The microwave pads are good if you have no access to power. I would try putting one outside at -10 to see how long the heat lasts.

Sheep worrying hubby better than hubby worrying sheep !

Discodog wrote: »
    Sheep worrying hubby better than hubby worrying sheep !

:D Very true!

When we got sheep we swore we wouldn't make pets out of them, they were to mow grass and nothing else.... that lasted about 1 week before they got named, their own individual feed bowls, let into the rest of the garden cos we reckoned they were lonely, a summer shelter and then a double walled winter shelter specially built for them, despite their breed being from an island off the northern hebrides of Scotland! And who says city slickers don't make good country people?!! Neighbours thought we were soft in the head when we got vet out to look at one of their hooves, they reckoned the call out fee was worth more than the sheep, we couldn't have done otherwise though.

could knit the sheep a wooly jumper :D

I think I'll take a moment to imagine that one.... :D:D:D:D

Ah Memories. On one occasion a Boxer, a Saluki, 2 lambs, a fox cub & some baby wild bunnies, oh & 3 cats all spread out in front of a huge Aga. As each one got too hot they would move to the back & another would move to the hot spot. All except the Boxer who would just roast. Took up half the kitchen !.

Must see if the video still exists - definite £250 from "You've been framed".

how about a jacket?

sheep.jpg

Oh no !. I can just imagine every Irish sheep owner seeing the marketing opportunity !. Bord Bia would be a good one or maybe Coleman's Mint Sauce !

cianer wrote: »
    I think I'll take a moment to imagine that one.... :D:D:D:D

no need to imagine

1226364761_d12dc733c9.jpg

1227225724_efef9cf13c.jpg

I would delete your internet history Paul - might be seen as an unhealthy interest in little woolie jumpers !. Reminds me of a Woodie Allen Film.

Ah Memories. On one occasion a Boxer, a Saluki, 2 lambs, a fox cub & some baby wild bunnies, oh & 3 cats all spread out in front of a huge Aga. As each one got too hot they would move to the back & another would move to the hot spot. All except the Boxer who would just roast. Took up half the kitchen !.

Now that would be well worth seeing!
    As it is the sheep don't see why they shouldnt be allowed into the cabin my hubby works from during the day and they headbutt the doors. You should see him trying to explain the noise to the Americans when he's on a conference call - now they really do think we're backward!

Here's a pic of the two trouble makers, I think a nice red coat each would look great!

masseyAndFerguson

• Advertisement

not unless i type in "Velcro Gloves" as well - oh no wait, i just did

You need to repair the link - Paul & I got so excited but no pic

Right, cant get pic to come up, here's a link...

http://www.cianer.com/images/sheep/masseyAndFerguson

That doesn't work either. Maybe we are not allowed to post naked sheep for fear of arousing passions

Great names btw

Bloody hell, I'm just not having any luck! Will work on it.....
    http://www.cianer.com/images/sheep/masseyAndFerguson.jpg

Finally!! :o

Better warn Paul that they are really horny sheep !. Bad news it appears that someone put a hidden camera in Hubby's bedroom or was it Pauls !

WilderSheep.jpg

Sorry off topic but fun !

He might need more than velcro gloves!!!! :D

Better warn Paul that they are really horny sheep !. Bad news it appears that someone put a hidden camera in Hubby's bedroom or was it Pauls !

WilderSheep.jpg

Sorry off topic but fun !

damn - i thought i'd destroyed that picture!

• Advertisement

You need to repair the link - Paul & I got so excited but no pic

did you see the picture here http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1094/1226364761_d12dc733c9.jpg

??

Advertisement