Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Danger for any outdoor Pets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am trying to write a report on the Dog Breeding Establishments Bill & I just typed "sheep" twice instead of "dogs" - I am going to need a good proof read otherwise I will appear to be mad .......about sheep !

To get back on topic I have been told that coats can be a bad idea if they do not let the skin breath. Also they can flatten any natural insulating air pockets. The really big worry is a dog getting wet & then being out in this biting wind. With wind chill it is about minus 15c out there & if a wet dog goes into it's kennel & makes the bedding wet it may stay very cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

baaaa ;o)

send it on to me if you like, it's my job to find faults

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Discodog wrote: »
    To get back on topic I have been told that coats can be a bad idea if they do not let the skin breath. Also they can flatten any natural insulating air pockets. The really big worry is a dog getting wet & then being out in this biting wind. With wind chill it is about minus 15c out there & if a wet dog goes into it's kennel & makes the bedding wet it may stay very cold.

I recently bought two coats for my dogs, they're just fleece on the underside and tartan/shower proof on the outside. We have the older dog cut in a puppy cut because we can't keep on top of her grooming (she really really hates it too which doesn't help) and she seems to feel the cold as she'd be used to her double coat -- so for the very bitter weather we're having I figured a little coat would be good for her for walks. Daisy still has her full thick coat but we will be getting it cut back in a few weeks so I don't want her suddenly freezing on walks (as she's still young and wouldn't have adjusted to the cold without her fur).
    And as you said if they get wet and then it's cold - it's not good, so these are shower proof so should keep them dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

I keep giggling when I think of the boys in coats :D And of Discodog trying to write a sensible report after that thread!

But you're right, coats (for any animal) are only good as long as they're dry. My terriers have 3 coats/jumpers each for swapping and drying, and I have 10 bales of dry straw waiting to go into the boys' shelter so there's always dry bedding. Mind you it doesnt stop them dragging it most of the way around the garden but I guess it's their straw to use even if I can't understand the purpose :confused::confused: I'll just keep putting more in.

I've given up ...for now. Anyway they are all on their short Xmas break - one month I think !. Mind you I do have some home addresses & private emails !.

I use goretex style breathable coats on my two but only for wet walks. Nothing worse than wet dog in the house taking hours to dry.

I did experiment with one on Pearl on a cold windy day - thinking that it would keep her warm, but she shivered. The key is movement. If they are walking/running they generate heat. It is being confined in a cold place that can cause problems. Also they need more food.

It is easy to buy very cheap digital indoor/outdoor thermometers that record the maximum & minimum temperature - Maplin have them. I would urge anyone to get one & put the probe at the same level & close to their dog's bed. In the morning you can see how low the temperature dropped to & if your insulation etc is having any effect. Also be very conscious of drafts which will generate wind chill.

As a guide remember that Greyhounds are supposed to be kept above 12c - very thin coats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

cianer wrote: »
    Mind you it doesnt stop them dragging it most of the way around the garden but I guess it's their straw to use even if I can't understand the purpose :confused::confused: I'll just keep putting more in.

maybe they do it cos they know you will have to give them more and clear the mess therefore spending more time with them - i reckon they are more cunning than we think ;)

When I had the rescue/managerie/zoo I would have a day shelter & a night shelter for livestock. They would be let out of the night shelter & then I would close the door so that they couldn't wreck their bed & piddle on it etc. During the day they could use the more open day shelter for shade or rain & it had three sides to protect from wind.

At night they would be shut into the night shelter & could get the full benefit of being closed in & warm.

Could be more work for Hubby ?!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I have an indoor cat but I like to spoil him and he loves his hot water bottle

image01.jpg

It lasts ages and is often still warm in the morning.

Wish I knew about this for my poor dog before she died. She had a bit of pain in her bones and Im sure she would have loved it.

Your pics not showing but you have raised another key issue. Older dogs need much more protection from the cold. Joints, blood pressure, breathing problems etc. will all be much worse if the animal is outside in this weather.

edit: it is now !.

I would love someone (I do not have one) to put one of these in a microwave & then in the fridge to see how long it retains heat when outdoors on a cold night. I used to use them a lot especially with orphans - even Badger cubs couldn't wreck them, but never outdoors at -10c. My concern would be if they lose heat at 5am when the temperature is at it's lowest.

The great advantage with the electric pads is that you can set it up & then forget about it. The thermostat will turn the bed on & off as needed. Good if you are out & don't need to worry about the dogs being cold.

Btw Petnap even do dog & cat beds with the heaters built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Snuggle safe heat pads are great but they don't stay heated for long outdoors in this temperature. Deffo agree any smallies like rabbits should be at least in a warm shed with lots of hay (rather than straw) and vet bed etc.
    Ideally indoors though.

Guinea pigs shouldn't really even be in a shed at this time of year they really should be indoors even if it's just for night time, eg if someone has a couple of guinea pigs and hasn't the space indoors at least take them indoors in the evenings in a good sized cat carrier filled with hay and water bottle attached they won't mind it as long as they have plenty of food.

• Advertisement

It's the bunnies & pigs that worry me. It's bad enough being stuck in a boring hutch on nice days let alone freezing in one on cold nights. People might hopefully think of the dog but many won't think about the smaller animals.

Please don't forget the wildlife. If anyone has badgers nearby then get tin of molasses (like treacle only thicker) heat it in a pan & add loads of peanuts. Allow to cool & set. The badgers will love you forever !.

The wind chill combined with sleet is totally brutal out there - it will be a short dog walk tonight !.

Totally agree, brave man for walking them tonight our dogs won't even get out of their beds when the weathers like this.

No choice !. I trained my two to poo in the rocks well below the tideline. It's nowhere near the beach or people & flushes itself !. The good news is they won't poo in the garden but the bad news is that I will have to take them out.

Watch those waves wind has picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is a dog about 1/4 mile away barking a lot in great distress. farm dog; old man; discodog gets the picture.

I have very limited mobility and have been iced/snowed in since 18th; temperatures up here are bitter

Y'day out for supplies, I got stuck on the way back..

The dog/farm is down a long boreen and looks impassable

I asked the first man who was trying to get my car out about the old man. saying had anyone checked on him and how worried i was.. needs diplomacy here.

He was totally uncaring; I hinted that someone needed to check.

Hoping that that may have been enough; if not then all I can do is leave a strong note in his mailbx at the road if can walk that far.

It beggars belief; dog will be tied up and outside in thick ice.

Grace there is nothing to stop you phoning the Guards on the pretence that you are worried about the man. Just mention that his dog is out barking all day & you are worried that he may not be well. Ask them if they could say that they are just checking the old people in the area.

I appreciate that it is very difficult in your situation. It is virtually impossible to live in rural Ireland, care about animals & stay friends with your neighbours.

Thanks; I have not heard the dog today... I said to the man on the road either the man was ill or the dog was being ill treated and that I would do something if the latter was the case.

It may have been enough! I have done this before and it has worked; but yes, if i hear it again I shall do that.

It went bad on us once and we got a very aggressive neighbour after that sadly as you know so well.

One of our dogs was an abused farm dog; we got that one away.

SUch a pained barking; how can anyone do that?

Discodog wrote: »
    Grace there is nothing to stop you phoning the Guards on the pretence that you are worried about the man. Just mention that his dog is out barking all day & you are worried that he may not be well. Ask them if they could say that they are just checking the old people in the area.

I appreciate that it is very difficult in your situation. It is virtually impossible to live in rural Ireland, care about animals & stay friends with your neighbours.

So people just don't care sadly, neighbours on on their 4th dog in the last few years..all the others they got bored off and couldn't be bothered with most recent one is a pup around the same age as our pup and the poor thing barks her head off half the night..presuming they had the pup in the house at first but first sign of winter and the pup was put outside. Luckily the dog has a thick coat and since the dog has a kennel etc. and the odd bit of attention nothing can be done.

I'm not against some dogs being outside, our collie has issues and will burst through windows to get out and is very settled but they have a large shed and have each other for company when we aren't around and we spend a lot of time with them etc. this poor thing is on it's own for hours and she's only about 8 months old still very much a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

So people just don't care sadly, neighbours on on their 4th dog in the last few years.

I have similar neighbours, they keep commenting on how they 'keep ending up with bad dogs'. Nothing to do with them getting a puppy, working all day and then in the evening them opening the front door and letting it out for the evening!!! It's the dogs fault it barks all day and causes accidents and hassle in the evening you understand, so they give it in to the pound and get a new puppy and on goes the cycle.... They seem to have given up now after about 5 dogs, long may it last.

Fingers crossed; have not heard the dog now for two days...

Hardly dare write that..

Theyare very clannish up here and I am new....
    So maybe my promise of action?

He has taken his sheep in near the house way back; we are above the snow line and bitter conditions with thick frozen snow.

• Advertisement

What annoys me is that all their previous dogs were perfectly well behaved family friendly dogs not a thing wrong with them soft as butter. Perfectly good dogs just hope they got a better home whereever they went.

Only heard the dog once and that was when I think there was a car going there; it stopped pretty fast.

And the cat that comes here is his too; saw it y'day.

Why am I not surprised?

So he is being fed here too; I omitted leaving food out last night and the poor thing was howling at the window at 3 am.

Water is freezing in half an hour outside here now so that too is being left out at frequent intervals.

Will be baking "bird cake" today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I nearly choked with laughter reading this thread. I've posted these pix before in the Petpics thread but they seem appropriate here;

Under the duvet.
    IMG_0162-3.jpg

Head on a pillow.
    IMG_0188-3.jpg

Lying across a pillow.
    IMG_0185-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

My fella has been in his element with all the snow (Sib Husky) - The first night it snowed he was running around the garden jumping around and howling like a nutter, still keep him in most of the day and at night, he lets me know when he wants to go out and some in I have to keep an eye on it because inside is very warm and he gets too hot with hsi coat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

C:%5CGriffandDaisy.jpgGriffandDaisy.jpg
    Heres a picture of my two mutts, I reckon Daisy would get into the fire if she could. The pair of them are snoring away at the minute
    Im such a sucker that I am working from home this week because I dont want to leave them outside in the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

jrd wrote: »
    C:%5CGriffandDaisy.jpgGriffandDaisy.jpg
    Heres a picture of my two mutts, I reckon Daisy would get into the fire if she could.

That is just priceless.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Our fella loves the snow and this was him out watching the kids playing on the road....

I Never get sick of watching him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Our fella loves the snow and this was him out watching the kids playing on the road....

I Never get sick of watching him....

Thats soooo cute.. he looks like he's ready for a chat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The youngest, obviously feeling the cold... in my bed:D
    Have been away, found a frozen bird in the garden this morning, not a mark on it, must of died of cold/lack of food......left out catfood the cat didn't eat this morning and the blackbirds went mad for it. Think i"ll do the same for next while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I've brought my rabbit indoors the past couple of nights. He usually lives out all year and has a good insulated hutch but it has never been this cold so he's inside. He's as daft as a brush, he sits in his run out in the elements no matter what the weather. He'll happily sit in his run on a really wet day and get soaked. When I went out to bring him in the other evening, rather than be in his hutch with his straw he was out in the snow, there was no snow underneath him so either he sat in the one spot for the entire snowstorm, and it snowed onto him, or he sat in it afterwards and it melted underneath him.
    He's in a big box beside the radiator now, happy as larry.

Advertisement