Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Danger for any outdoor Pets

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't mean to laugh Magenta but that sounds so cute!
    'I'm sitting here and I'm staying here' *stubborn*

My little Daisy loves being outside, we couldn't get her in out of the snow earlier, lying in it for ages just staring at things.

Glad your little rabbits now all cosy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Isnt it gas how they love the snow??? I kick it into the air and Leo goes mad trying to catch it all :)

He is outside trying to catch the snowflakes as they fall as he can see them on the security light - its so funny. Him with the tongue out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Our fella loves the snow and this was him out watching the kids playing on the road....

I Never get sick of watching him....

My two bigger dogs love the snow, my Chi isn't so keen!! :D

Brook & Ben.JPG

Cleo4.JPG

How cute? Is it a black lab? What breed is Cleo?

How cute? Is it a black lab? What breed is Cleo? A chi?

Brooks a Rottweiler, Cleo is a Chihuahua. Cleo's so small when she goes outside to pee the snow is up to her elbows!!!

• Advertisement

lrushe wrote: »
    Cleo is a Chihuahua.

Sorry silly me.....

Any pics of her in the snow?

Sorry silly me.....

Any pics of her in the snow?

She won't stay in it long enough to take a pic. She will tip toe down to the end of the garden, pee and run back up to the door as if to say "I'm finished let me back in pleeeeeaaaase!!!!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Magenta wrote: »
    I've brought my rabbit indoors the past couple of nights. He usually lives out all year and has a good insulated hutch but it has never been this cold so he's inside. He's as daft as a brush, he sits in his run out in the elements no matter what the weather. He'll happily sit in his run on a really wet day and get soaked. When I went out to bring him in the other evening, rather than be in his hutch with his straw he was out in the snow, there was no snow underneath him so either he sat in the one spot for the entire snowstorm, and it snowed onto him, or he sat in it afterwards and it melted underneath him.
    He's in a big box beside the radiator now, happy as larry.

As the snow fell on him it would have helped in keeping in the warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

What do ye suggest for goldfish outside in a pond? The top of the pond has frozen over not even sure if they're alive under the ice. So far i've just being breaking the ice and putting food in the pond (usually they're not fed during the winter).

My dog is still sleeping out, and coming in for the evenings, but his kennel is well insulated, and he doesn't like being inside for too long.

Also started feeding the birds again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Float a ball in the pond. The key thing is to leave a gap in the ice to prevent a build up of gasses under the ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I was in New York just before Christmas and they had a foot of snow overnight, we were roaring laughing at the toy/handbag dogs trying to walk on the snow covered path, (they had most of the snow scraped off), never seen so many dogs trot so smartly! They were lifting their paws up as quick as they possibly could, I could just imagine them thinking "cold, cold, cold, cold"!!! :D The bigger dogs were delighted with the snow!

My mini JRT does the same thing as your chi, legs it to the nearest big of grass to wee and then runs back into the house asap

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I have to say My samoyed just LOVES this weather! He must be one of few dogs enjoying it so much.
    He hasn't so much as shivered and after we have been out and I bring him in he sits panting like a steam engine!!

I know that he was bred for the harsh Siberian weather but I didn't expect him to love it so much. He just never seems to get cold. I imagine it's like what jumping into a pool on a roasting day in spain does for us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Cian92 wrote: »
    What do ye suggest for goldfish outside in a pond? The top of the pond has frozen over not even sure if they're alive under the ice. So far i've just being breaking the ice and putting food in the pond (usually they're not fed during the winter).

My dog is still sleeping out, and coming in for the evenings, but his kennel is well insulated, and he doesn't like being inside for too long.

We had fish in a pond for years growing up, they go to the bottom of the pond and wait it out, they can pretty much freeze with no harm if left alone. Don't feed them as they don't need it when its like this and don't break the ice.
    If its a small pond, get some old carpet or something and put it over it to insulate against the cold, although we did this before it froze thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Cian92 wrote: »

I was told not to break the ice, the shock through the water is very bad for the fish. If you have anything sticking out of the water, that will ensure that air is getting in. It was recommended to me to put a couple of tennis balls in the pond, they will float and even though the water may freeze around them, the air will get in. A bit late for that now obviously, as it has already frozen, but if you're breaking the ice, maybe you can do that for when it freezes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭traco

Just thought I'd share this with you all as it might be of help. My daughter has a rabbit and and a guinne pig together in an outside hutch by our shed. I was worried about the cold wetaher coming and how to keep them warm. I was going to post this earlier but wantedto be sure it woudl work. One week on and its working great so here you go.

I got a heat mat like this one from the local pet shop. Its 21W in power output so doesn't get hot as such just warm. I got one about 6" x 6". They come in various sizes and are used for underneath reptile aquariums and tanks.

The hutch has an upstairs part so I put thick cardboard in the bottom. Drilled a small hole in the side so I could feed the lead out (plug removed and refitted afterwards) and into the shed. I found some old floor tiles - 3mm thick and placed them onto the mat so that Horton and Nibbles couldn't get at the mat or lead to knaw it. In with some sawdust and hay, thick around the edges but thin in the middle over the large floor tile. The tile acst as a heat sink and spreads the heat around evenly. Its is just warm not hot and the guinnea pig loves it. Just keep some hay hay in there so if its really cold he can get under it and keep warm.

So there you go - pet central heating for €25 - could have got the mat cheaper online or if I had shopped around. But at least we don't have to worry about them freezing or bringing them inside all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I got a Border Collie and he has a Kennell outside for the night time and for when I need to go to the shop or I am not at home for some reason , but he stays inside with me for up to eight hours every day. Ive Insulated his kennel floor , walls and roof with ThermaWrap Insulation , I got him a Waterproof Cushion , I put a door flap like this one Door Flap on his kennell and I bought him a Snuggle Safe Heat Pad which I heat up for him before I leave him out. He is lovely and warm out in his kennell now , but in the past few nights with the severe cold out there He is sleeping in my kitchen until the temperatures raise a bit above 0 celcius again.

PS: I forgot to add a picture of the kennell. The door of the Kennell is facing the house to add a bit more shelter , there is an extra piece on the side thats a foot wide by the heright of the kennell to break the wind and theres a shelf over the door to prevent rain from going into the kennell. My brother built the kennell for me. Dimensions of the Kennell are 46inches lonc by 22 inches wide and 26 inches high. Its plenty big for him. We will be adding to it for a sheltered bit for his food and water which will have a floor and walls with more insulation and another door. So here is the kennell

kennell3086188.jpg

Advertisement