Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice not suitable for pubs/parties

• 30-12-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I hope this is the right place to post this! Was just wondering if anyone else had this problem? My voice just seems rubbish for talking to people in places with a significant amount of background noise. I am aware of this and do try to project my voice more, but it actually then starts to hurt my throat and the resonation of my voice makes my whole head feel a bit uncomfortable and tense. And I notice that people find it hard to hear me, whereas they just talk away effortlessly and are heard fine.

Sometimes it's better than others, but I wonder what makes the difference?

Anyway, any info or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm not an expert, but maybe you could research voice training? Afaik you learn to project your voice by using your diaphragm more, thus avoiding straining your neck muscles, and making your voice easier to hear.

It might also be that the natural frequency of your speaking voice is close to that of the background noise. Varying the frequency of your voice (in the proper way) might help also.

Human voice
    Vocal resonation

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

esel wrote: »
    I'm not an expert, but maybe you could research voice training? Afaik you learn to project your voice by using your diaphragm more, thus avoiding straining your neck muscles, and making your voice easier to hear.

It might also be that the natural frequency of your speaking voice is close to that of the background noise. Varying the frequency of your voice (in the proper way) might help also.

Human voice
    Vocal resonation

Yeah I've thought about going to a consultant about it but it's not such a major issue, rather just an annoyance that I encounter every now and again. And the annoying thing is sometimes my voice is fine and I can be heard easily, then other days my throat just seems to have a different shape or something because it is noticeably difficult to make myself heard.

Thanks for the input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

Hi Cianos,
    Factors such as hydration on a night out (esp if you've been drinking) and humidity can be factors. Like the other poster said it could also be due to breath support, with the proper breath support and technique you should eb able to project your voice as loud as you like without feeling any strain. Even if you don't think it's a huge deal at the moment I would definately visit your GP and request a referral to a Speech and Language Therapist, long term straining of the voice like this could lead to damaging the vocal folds, nodules etc. It might be just a matter of changing a few environmental things and a few exercises which could make your life a lot easier! In the meantime tho worth having a look at the below link for a few pointers....

http://www.ncvs.org/museum-archive/bkmrk.pdf

Advertisement