Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Card or Bank Branch?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey All

Im going to Liverpool tomorrow just wondering were would I get the best exchange rate for my money. My bank is AIB. Would I be best just using my bank card when im over there or should I go into the branch and exchange it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I have found that using my credit card gives me the most 'value' in terms of exchange rates/transaction charges...if paying for items, make sure that it is a sterling amount that you pay for, not a converted euro amount.....it can happen, and you will loose more money as a result.
    Bring some cash of course but I would use the card for large value purchases..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I was in the uk last weekend. I took out 200gbp with my aib laser / atm card. I worked out the conversion on www.xe.com later and there was only about 2gbp in the difference between that and what i was charged. Not much in it really.

Do watch out for atm's that charge you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If your only going for a short trip, and not spending huge amounts of money, then the difference is negligible. Use whatever is most convenient for you.

Do note, however, that there is usually a minimum charge, therefore I wouldn't use the ATM card to withdraw £10 at a time!

Advertisement