Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking for South Infirmary

Options
  • 30-12-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Whats the best option if you are bringing someone in for a day case into the South, have to bring the car and all that. Is there much parking there and how much or any other viable options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

TheDriver wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Whats the best option if you are bringing someone in for a day case into the South, have to bring the car and all that. Is there much parking there and how much or any other viable options?

Unfortunately, parking is VERY limited at the South Infirmary. I don't think I've ever managed to get parking in the hospital car park. The only alternative nearby is on-street disc parking which is also extremely limited. Even if you get a space in the disc parking area you're limited to 1 or 2 hours before you have to move the car to another street or risk the clampers!

If I was you I'd be inclined to leave the car at home and get a taxi direct to the hospital. When you're leaving you can then ring the same firm to pick you up outside the A & E or outpatients department.

The other option is to drop the patient to the hospital yourself and the go off and park the car in one of the city centre multi-storeys. Of course, this means you'll have to walk back and forth to the hospital.

Basically, the chances of getting a parking space are almost nil!

Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would suggest that you drop the person off and then go to the City Hall carpark. It is about five minutes walk away (if that). That is what I did when my Mom was in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thanks all! Would the park and ride be an even better suggestion again? Can't get a taxi as 20 miles from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

park and ride your cheapest option at 5 euro for the day, but you will have to walk out from town to the hosp , in fairness , not a long walk. id say 12 mins or so. city hall car park is only marginally nearer and would be expensive for the full day. make sure the park and ride is still operating when its time to go home , or you ll be locked in for the night !!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Park on/near the Skehard road and get the number 10 to the hospital. Drops you right outsdie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

park and ride your cheapest option at 5 euro for the day, but you will have to walk out from town to the hosp , in fairness , not a long walk. id say 12 mins or so. city hall car park is only marginally nearer and would be expensive for the full day. make sure the park and ride is still operating when its time to go home , or you ll be locked in for the night !!

Other option is to park in Woodies car park (no barriers) and walk around to the park n ride, had seen that the city hall car park was doing a prepay option of €5 but not sure if thats is still running as rarely use there.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

sorry for bring up this thread after a couple of years just heading up to the south Infirmary next week for an out patients appointment for my elderly mother we are comeing from west cork what are my chances of getting a parking space in or near the hospital ?.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

The car park is small but I've been there for appointments a few mornings in the last year and have always gotten a space. It's 2.70 an hour so people probably avoid it!!

I'd say it's a lot quieter now than when the OP was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

Cheers thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

White Street Car Park is also nearby, EUR 4 for 5 hours. Cheaper than the multistoreys but beware that sometimes drug users/drinkers like to hang around there after dark, and I don't know how easy it is to get a space there.

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/transportationdivision/parking/offstreetparking/surfacelevelcarparks/whitestreetcarpark/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

parking is a lot easier now that the A&E was closed. It is damn expensive though! City hall car park is a good bet. 2 quid an hour if you park on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

On street parking up from the South is something I've never had issues with tbh - the shop sells discs to so while you might be a 5min walk away I find it's worth the hassle, plus I try to purchase 5 tickets or so to have in the car to save myself from future return journies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

D'Agger wrote: »
    On street parking up from the South is something I've never had issues with tbh - the shop sells discs to so while you might be a 5min walk away I find it's worth the hassle, plus I try to purchase 5 tickets or so to have in the car to save myself from future return journies.

Yeah, plenty of disk parking within 5 minutes walk of the SI. Park up on the road/footpath outside (hazards job) and bring your mum in, then find a parking spot nearby. €2 disk will do for 2 hours which should be enough for your appointment. I haven't been there for several years but the hospital carpark was always full of staff cars that didn't move all day.

Advertisement