Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which resolution for TV? 720 or 702? (sony vegas pro)

Options
  • 30-12-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

hi...ive editied a video in sony vegas with the project resolution of PAL 720x576....i then exported this as uncompressed .avi and burned a DVD ....the problem is the the left and and right side of video is slightly cropped.....somebody told me that TV broadcast is 702x576...is this the problem? should re render at this resolution?

any advice appreciated

kyle :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

did you check to make sure your video was broadcast safe? in vegas you can have 2 outlines in the preview window showing you the broadcast safe and title safe edges. if your video goes beyond this the edges may not be seen on a regular telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

thanks for the reply......i tried that but the grid guide chops a load off my video...i have 460 clips on the timeline so its too much work to resize them all...how can i resize the whole video without quality loss?

im a bit confused...surely if one is editing in pal resolution then you don't need a safe zone? or is it because its 720 i edited in instead of 702?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_area
    It makes sense. :D

I think the 702 you are referring to is roughly what the broadcast safe area would be anyway. It shouldnt be that big a deal to you as long as your titles are within the right space.
    I wouldnt go creating a project at 702x576!
    Anyway, it more than likely isn't actually cropped, just the tv you are playing it on. Have you played it back on your computer for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

to artvandulet: thanks for the link and easing my worries:)...its grand on my laptop ...definitely nothing cropped in Vegas or DVD architect when i do a PAL 4:3 preview. and its fine on my widescreen TV in 4:3....its just my old non widescreen TV's that are cropping it......thanks again....

to Carlos Jolly Instep: will try that in the preferences thanks ...but id say i will have to jiggle around some of the timeline clips as they are diifferent dimensions....thanks

Advertisement