Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

probably a silly oven temperature question

Options
  • 30-12-2009 1:53pm

Hi all,

I'm cooking a meatloaf (yum!) tonight, and wanted to serve roasted potatoes with it. Thing is, the meatloaf is to be cooked at 180c for an hour and fifteen and the roasties should be cooked at 250c for 60 minutes.

What should I do so they'll be ready at the same time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

You could par-boil the spuds for about 10mins, drain, steam dry in the pot for a few minutes, then lash a bit of oil on them, then into the oven on a baking tray for the last 35mins with the meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Faced with this I'd throw the spuds in at the same time at 180c

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mike65 wrote: »
    Faced with this I'd throw the spuds in at the same time at 180c
    I do roast potatoes all the time at 180 in my fan oven. I stick them on the topmost shelf and they do in less than 60 mins .. maybe 45-50 at most. If I did them at max temp (220 for my oven) all I'd have left would be charcoal!

scubasteve wrote: »
    You could par-boil the spuds for about 10mins, drain, steam dry in the pot for a few minutes, then lash a bit of oil on them, then into the oven on a baking tray for the last 35mins with the meat.

Should have said I would have par boiled them for 8 minutes or so anyway.

Alun wrote: »
    I do roast potatoes all the time at 180 in my fan oven. I stick them on the topmost shelf and they do in less than 60 mins .. maybe 45-50 at most. If I did them at max temp (220 for my oven) all I'd have left would be charcoal!

Do you parboil them too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Hi all,

and the roasties should be cooked at 250c for 60 minutes.
    ?
    Who said??:confused:

For Roasties,

1. par boil potatoes until just about to start breaking appart a bit = drain and leave aside until cold. ....

2. Before cooking meatloaf, heat oil in roasting tray in hot oven (200 deg) then throw in the cold potatoes and mix well with the hot oil-- throw in some salt, pepper and rosemary also

3. Leave for about 15- 20 mins max and then remove from oven - these should be only 1/2 cooked/roasted at this point

4. Cook meatloaf for required time

5. Replace potatoes (200 deg) for remaining cook-off in oven- 20 mins...this will be enough time for meatloaf to settle down and ready for cutting also..

Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Do you parboil them too?
    Yes.

Once again, boards delivers. Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

oh yea...I tend to cut potatoes in 1/2 first before boiling (probably a major sin in some cooking circles but find it's a lot more manageble and reduces cooking time)...cold potatoes and hot oil are key....as usual oven temperature/times vary so it's about knowing what it's capable of ..what time is dinner & what do we bring?:D

Advertisement