Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting or Business

Options
  • 30-12-2009 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of taking up an extra subject for the Leaving Cert. I'm currently in fifth year. I was stuck between accounting and business. Which is easier? What books/coppies would I need?
    Which would take up the most time?
    Which would be the subject you'd more likely get the better grade in?

Thank you very much!

( I was going to do economics but I heard it's the harder out of the business subjects with lots of graphs and constant reading of the business pages of the newspapers, etc ).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Either or really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

It all depends on what YOU find more easier.

No point in taking up a subject because you think it will get you more points.
    You could do this but half way through sixth year find it hard.

Personnaly I picked Business as I wasn't very keen on all the numbers involved in Accountants. I recommend that you try and make you mind up now as your time left in school will go by very quick.

Good Luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

:)
    It all depends on what YOU find more easier.

No point in taking up a subject because you think it will get you more points.
    You could do this but half way through sixth year find it hard.

Personnaly I picked Business as I wasn't very keen on all the numbers involved in Accountants. I recommend that you try and make you mind up now as your time left in school will go by very quick.

Good Luck!!

Thank you!!

Well, I'd actually be doing it myself as we can only do 7 subjects in school. Which would you think would be more easily done at home out of the two? In other words, which do you think I wouldn't need a teacher for?

( My brother told me to do accounting as it's easier but he never did business and my uncle who owns a school told me that students find business easier so I don't know! )

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

Again its all up to you!

Are you good at maths?

Personnaly I think business is easier without a teacher, I studied myself last year at home too. The reason for this is because its mostly just memorzing acts and laws.

If you have time left over the xmas break I'd advise you to look at the two subjects and see which one interested you most.

Even though your studing at home you should look up about getting grinds

Again its all up to you!

Are you good at maths?

Personnaly I think business is easier without a teacher, I studied myself last year at home too. The reason for this is because its mostly just memorzing acts and laws.

If you have time left over the xmas break I'd advise you to look at the two subjects and see which one interested you most.

Even though your studing at home you should look up about getting grinds

Thank you!!

Yes I like maths so that aspect of it would be fine. I would just like to get an A1 in either subject and would like to take the easier one! So, I think I'lll take business like you said!

Thanks so much!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Did you do business studies for junior cert?? If you did and you found the accounting part of it easy then I would say do accounting. Accounting is way more conceptual than other subjects. If you "get" it and find it easy enough then you have a massive head start for the exam. Way less learning to do than theoretical subjects, in my opinion, just lots of practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Mayoegian wrote: »
    :)

Well, I'd actually be doing it myself as we can only do 7 subjects in school. Which would you think would be more easily done at home out of the two? In other words, which do you think I wouldn't need a teacher for?

I did accounting for the leaving and dont think you could do it without a teacher...we rarely used the book as our teacher explained everything to us without books/revision books etc. Looking at the book a couple of times tho, i dont think we would have been able to learn the accounts by only using that, i dont think they explain everything as well as a competent teacher will. If you found accounting easy for the junior cert you could have a look through a book and see could you pick up the workings easily enough, if not though, business might be easier to learn without a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

i did both for my leaving in 09 and i found business easier its just learning theory for most of it and i really enjoyed it, goodluck!

Thanks so much guys! :)

I think I will do business. I was looking at my friend's accounting book and it didn't look great to be honest! So I think I'll go with business.

What books and copies would I need though?

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My favourite subjects in school were Accounting, Maths and Applied Maths as these all involved 'understanding' rather than hours trying to learn them off.

However, I would find Accounting very difficult if I didn't have the great teacher that I did. I really think you would struggle with Accounting without a teacher. Also, it may not seem like it, but the course is massive!

I never did Business, but as far as I know, (not meaning to offend anyone that did Business), but Business requires less 'understanding' but more 'learning off by heart' than Accounting, so it would be easier to do on your own. Is this a fair view of Business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I never did Business, but as far as I know, (not meaning to offend anyone that did Business), but Business requires less 'understanding' but more 'learning off by heart' than Accounting, so it would be easier to do on your own. Is this a fair view of Business?

Yes this would be a fair view of business. Although I don't do accounting I know there is much more of a learning curve to it as opposed to business. I would imagine business is a lot more easier to do by yourself than accounting however if you have an aptitude to maths and numbers in general you may find accouting more enjoyable and easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

I do accounting and if you are anyways decent at maths, it is very easy. Apparently very doable in a year aswell.

Saying that Business seems rather easy too...

I'd say it really depends on whether you are better working with figures or learning things off/augmenting common sense with a little bit of learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Accounting is not hard. Apply the same logic with different figures. Practice makes perfect. It's about doing questions as opposed to staring at a book.

Both are pretty easy. I'd do both.

Thanks again guys!

What books/copies would I need for business? Which ones would be best?

Advertisement