Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we be worried?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I see a lot of comments from people stating that the weather is going to get a lot worse, maybe for weeks to come.
    I live in Tipperary is it going to get bad here? If it is we need to be ready and not wait for met eireann to tell us on the 9 o clock news that things might get bad overnight.
    People here are talking about polar lows, charts the worst they have seen, a return to winters of 1940s, 1960s etc. I thrust the opnions of the forecasters here rather than met eireann so should I get ready now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

No, you should'nt be "worried".

It's just going to be colder then usual that's all. Just make sure you have sufficient food and that sort of thing and the heat is adequate in the house. Be careful on the icey pavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The biggest problem over the next week severe frosts and treacherous roads like we saw over Christmas and I think burst pipes will be a problem too.
    Disruption caused by snowfall will be confined to same areas as last week - Ulster, Connacht, West Munster and maybe the far west of Leinster.
    I think comparing this winter to the winters of 1947 and 1963 is completely over the top- its lashing rain outside, during those winters we got huge blizzards. This winter would have been considered slightly colder than average in the 1960s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Disruption caused by snowfall will be confined to same areas as last week - Ulster, Connacht, West Munster and maybe the far west of Leinster.

This is incorrect. You should read the forcast threads and the numerous charts posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Certaintly the frost and ice has been the worst in living memory, My father who is 64 says he has never seen the roads as severe with the frost/ice and as dangerous as the present and also numerous other people said the same thing. Of course it cant be compared to 47 yet because we havent got any snow worth mentioning, if its under 7 inches of snow then its nothing extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The biggest problem over the next week severe frosts and treacherous roads like we saw over Christmas and I think burst pipes will be a problem too.

don't worry the east along with parts of ulster will see the worst of it this time

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    This is incorrect. You should read the forcast threads and the numerous charts posted.
    Unfortunately the Irish Sea is a massive radiator which we cannot turn off when it suits us!
    Temperatures on the continent (when the airflow is originating from) are between 0c and -2c.
    PS. I'd love more than anyone else to see all this rain turn to snow but my thermometer is stuck at 4c!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

There are areas, particulalrly in the NW where folks have been housebound for about 10 days.
    House bound without running water.
    There is a realistic possibility that these sort of conditions will be much more widespread.

So not a time to worry but to think about being stocked up with food, oil, fuel, and how to go about life with no running water. So if worst came to worst you've already formulated a plan and the preparations are in place.

Even if there are not blizards, It doesn't take much to block a rural road, something like a van in a ditch or jack knifed lorry

I know 6 houses that the roofs came down because pipes burst .
    Keep ur house warm folks or else be very worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Certaintly the frost and ice has been the worst in living memory, My father who is 64 says he has never seen the roads as severe with the frost/ice and as danegours as the present and also numerous other people said the same thing. Of course it cant be compared to 47 yet because we havent got any snow worth mentioning, if its under 7 inches of snow then its nothing extraordinary.

the main thing about 1947 was the atlantic was taught a lesson each time it tried to uproot the entrenched siberian air( i think at one stage the airflow extended all the way across to new foundland!). already we have seen the milder air has been able to modify the cold air source over us twice. now as we go on this will become harder to do, because we will not have faux cold(modified cold) over us but true cold air coming all the way from polar regions, but still it won't surprise me if, unlike '47, the atlantic is still able to spoil the party enough to make conditions less cold - which in practice means snow being confined to higher ground with rain and sleet at lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

No. Although I enjoy the weather forum and read the "current conditions" a fair bit, like any other internet forum, I take it with a good bit of salt. Many of the posters tend to get....overzealous when it comes to bad weather.

It will get cold but we won't have polar bears roaming the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Certaintly the frost and ice has been the worst in living memory, My father who is 64 says he has never seen the roads as severe with the frost/ice and as dangerous as the present and also numerous other people said the same thing.

Anytime before 1990 this sort of weather was not at all unusual and people then expected it to be like this. Nothing so far is a patch on 1981/82 in the East, but other years were icy too. We'll probably end up with a typical 1970s cold spell rather than a new ice age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I think comparing this winter to the winters of 1947 and 1963 is completely over the top- its lashing rain outside, during those winters we got huge blizzards. This winter would have been considered slightly colder than average in the 1960s.

Had the cold weather started in 1947 & 1963 before the New Year? Maybe it was just cold rain then too? It probably won't be anything like them but we don't know yet.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Anytime before 1990 this sort of weather was not at all unusual and people then expected it to be like this. Nothing so far is a patch on 1981/82 in the East,.
    Where do you live? You obviously havent seen Donegal this past 2 weeks then.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Had the cold weather started in 1947 & 1963 before the New Year? Maybe it was just cold rain then too? It probably won't be anything like them but we don't know yet.
    On December 31 1962 there was 45cm lying snow at Baldonnel Co.Dublin.
    (source: "The Climate of Ireland" P.K.Rohan)
    But you're also right, the winter of '47 didn't start until the third week of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Sleipnir wrote: »
    I take it with a good bit of salt.
    Good idea in this weather ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Best thing folks is to ensure you have enough supplies , that your heatings working, ensure your taps are still working, use them regularly.

Probably good to have a spare cannister of gas and a big bag of salt to clear a path to your house and other neccessities.

Going to be a Baltic 7 days at least.

Rarely will temps get above 0c from tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Don't you all know the earth is warming up it's the warmest it's been on record, have you not watched An Inconvenient Truth :rolleyes:

Those beginning to believe that the earth is not warming and is simply in a cycle of weather are having the last laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Indeed yes; I have never seen roads this bad . Just sheet glass ice and inches thick. Wet and shiny....Shudder... I will have nightmares re that part of today

I was amazed at how clear Donegal Town is; the place I buy coal is nearly to Bruckless, and a little more out that way.

Main roads are clear but the surfaces are rutted and pitted now

No wonder you speak of there being little snow..

Hope you can get to see up here before it goes; when the road is cleared.
    Pangea wrote: »
    Certaintly the frost and ice has been the worst in living memory, My father who is 64 says he has never seen the roads as severe with the frost/ice and as dangerous as the present and also numerous other people said the same thing. Of course it cant be compared to 47 yet because we havent got any snow worth mentioning, if its under 7 inches of snow then its nothing extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Well, since we have 2 months of winter officially left, let's withold judgement until March 1st shall we? Potentially we could indeed be looking at a comparable winter to those you mentioned,but my instinct says not - the Atlanic will win through sometime in January, but before that, lets take it day by day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Spare a taught for the older people in your areas, its them i worry about in these hard conditions.

• Advertisement

Or an owd one seeking supplies..And gettting stuck...

Yes, stock up before winter; dry goods keep well. And fuel etc.

And bottled water.

Incidentally. some places are sold out of gas cylinders.

Even if there are not blizards, It doesn't take much to block a rural road, something like a van in a ditch or jack knifed lorry[/quote]

PLEASE..

More than a thought....

One day you too will be old..

greenpeter wrote: »
    Spare a taught for the older people in your areas, its them i worry about in these hard conditions.

Advertisement