Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French conversation classes - peux-tu m'aider?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Mes amis,

I studied french for my degree in college and spent some time in France during the summer holidays, but since my main course was primary teaching (though technically I have a degree in french too), my language has fallen by the way side, not to mention the fact that I teach Gaeilge every day and speak it much more frequently.

Rant over! I am looking for language classes in the Kildare area to keep my grasp of the language alive and well. (I am a year and a half out of college). This could also be in Co. Limerick area - I go home to Co. Limerick at the weekends, but based in Kildare during the week - south Kidlare, Carlow would be just as near to me as kidlare town.

Is anyone in a similar situation or has anyone been in this boat before?
    I am looking for language classes more so than grammar or writing classes, as I would have more of a use for spoken - beatha teanga í a labhairt, if I may borrow this to the thread francais! ;-)

Merci :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I Promised

I'm also looking for either French conversation classes or a meet up group but in Cork? if anybody has some info, I'd greatly appreciate it!

And if there are no meet up/language exchange groups in Cork would anybody be interested in starting one? It could be a very casual get together, once a week or fortnight for about an hour where English speakers could practice their French and French speakers practice their English?? There seem to be many in Dublin that work pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 voyage

Hey,

have you had any luck with starting a language swap in Cork. I'd be interested in joining in or helping to start on up if you're still interested.

Hey Voyage,

I haven't found anybody else who's interested and I'm not really in a position to start one up anymore because I'm going travelling soon. I put up a poster in the city library but got no calls. If you're still interested though I'd suggest putting up a sign in UCC for the erasmus students and those studying French. That was my next plan of action but never got round to it.

Bonne chance! :)

Thanks for the reply I Promised,

I kinda wanted to keep it free from private institutions like UCC etc., so that it would be more of a 'Cork thing' that anyone could be a part of and not exclusive to any one place or whatever.

I'll keep trying to find Frenchies (& anyone else who wants to join in) who are in the city but who are outside the whole education thing.

thanks,

voyage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 TruffleShuffle

Hey,
    Has anyone had any luck with getting a group of people together in Cork?
    Would love to improve my spoken french?

Hi,

no haven't had a chance to do anything. How about putting a post on the Cork City page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fuhr

I am looking for a French language teacher who could meet me once or twice per week for an hour at my place. I live in Whitehall, Dublin 9. I consider myself as an intermediate level.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 EmZZZ

I give French grinds and would actually be happy to give conversational French classes in the Cork/East Cork area. I usually charge €25/hour, but rates would be negotiable for a small group.
    Oh! I'm a native French speaker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Cloudy22

fuhr wrote: »
    I am looking for a French language teacher who could meet me once or twice per week for an hour at my place. I live in Whitehall, Dublin 9. I consider myself as an intermediate level.
    Hi, I just came across your message by chance and thought I'd send you a reply even though you posted it ages ago... If you're still looking for someone to teach you French, I would be interested, I am a native French speaker, have been living in Dublin for ten years, and have experience of teaching French to adults on a one to one basis. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mariane

I Promised wrote: »
    And if there are no meet up/language exchange groups in Cork would anybody be interested in starting one? It could be a very casual get together, once a week or fortnight for about an hour where English speakers could practice their French and French speakers practice their English?? There seem to be many in Dublin that work pretty well.

Hi,

I'm 30 and french. I have been in Cork for few weeks and i am looking for people to practice and improve my english. We can do a swop between french and english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 frenchy1992

Heey guys :)

Right this is my situation : I am currently sitting my leaving cert and have been living in Ireland for the last two years. Hopefully (if I get the points), I'll be going to UL next year.

So as I'll need some extra money for going out and stuff (you know yourselves :D ) this could be fairly handy both for me and ye !

you can send mea PM if interested.
    I'm 30 and french. I have been in Cork for few weeks and i am looking for people to practice and improve my english. We can do a swop between french and english

wow ! une francaise :D enchante :p depuis mes deux ans ici, j'en ai pas rencontre beaucoup (bon il faut dire que j'ai pas beaucoup cherche non plus haha)
    Bref, a plus tard, on se croisera peut etre un de ces jours ^^ ( et desole pour les accents je suis pas sur un clavier francais)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 J.O'B

I'm based in East Cork.

Currently studying French, morning, noon, and night through a variety of methods. (my main aim is to reach fluency and move to France - also I'm dating a French girl)

Happy to get involved with some likeminded folk who are keen to learn also. :-)

PM me if you're interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Zetridge

• Registered Users Posts: 15 johnrichard

Yes, you did that right away.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Frenchsome

Mariane wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi Mariane. Only got to see your post now but said I'd reply just in case your still hanging around Cork. I'm Tony by the way, I'm 34 and have basic, but some, knowledge of French and would love to improve. I can help you too with your English. If your still interested, or even still in the country, please let me know. A bientot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nafnaf

Hello
    I'm a native French speaker and also qualified as a primary school teacher in France. I would be happy to give conversational French courses in Clonmel/Fethard area, in South Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I don't know whether this fits in with this thread or not, but I'm looking for an exchange of language learning materials for children and adults en français/i ngaeilge (Corca Dhuibhne). I realise that the teaching of French in schools in Ireland is increasingly coming under more and more financial constraints, but if anyone out there is interested I'd very much like to hear from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ana54

If you cannot find a teacher close to your home, I highly recommend French conversations online. Lessons are tailor made and will suit any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cate3may

voyage wrote: »
    Hey,

have you had any luck with starting a language swap in Cork. I'd be interested in joining in or helping to start on up if you're still interested.

Hi
    just moved to cork, originally a primary teacher with french (so identify with first poster)...
    I've just moved back to Ireland after 10 years in Paris so would love to keep up my french or get iinvolved in some group....

any interest still there?

C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I always say - listen to the radio - either France Inter or France Culture or France Info - you can also have a look at their websites and there's Arte.fr on-line which I think is a very rich resource. If you're interested in listening to football commentary and after the match discussion there's RTL and Europe 1 - but I warn you very often they're all speaking (shouting) at once and they often have very strong southern (ie from the Midi) accents.

Hi cate3may,

Yeah, I'm still in Cork and would like to get involved, maybe try and start up some language swap in the city an evening a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cate3may

voyage wrote: »
    Hi cate3may,

Yeah, I'm still in Cork and would like to get involved, maybe try and start up some language swap in the city an evening a week?

Hi
    that's great, I have a bit of a crazy week just sorting things out from the move this week but will be back in touch next week and maybe see can we get a new group and some native speakers involved

All the best
    Cate

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jgjm

in college in the oral class for languages are u asked oral questions or is it optional to speak in front of classmates?????

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Arthur Rimbaud

My understanding is that languages are 'taught' through tutorial classes, where students may be bunched in small groups, asked to make presentations, or otherwise engage in conversation through the language under reference.

I don't think speaking the language could be optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jgjm

ya but what i mean is .. does de class sit and then does de lecturer ask people questions in french in front of the whole class ? ?
    or is it tat de lecturer speaks french and asks someone to volunteer to speak ??

Advertisement