Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking your dog(s) on the ice?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

But these aren't items for dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I fell badly a few years ago, I landed on a step and the small of my back still hurts at times. Then on our first frosty day I fell again (clumsy...me?!?) it wasn't a bad one, but I'm nervous about hurting my back again. Poor Harley didn't get a proper walk in a few days, I was driving up to the field and walking him around in the grass where I was less likely to be pulled over. I even brought him up to our local kennels so he would gt a proper structured walk :o

Thankfully the ice is gone now so we can get back to our routine. But I am prrtty disapointed in myself. I always swore weather wouldn't stop me walking him. :( If you do buy Paul, let me know how you get on!

Start-pants, I think he meant to allow people walk safely with their dog in the ice. I bought a pair of hiking boots and even wearing them I've been sliding around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

star-pants wrote: »
    But these aren't items for dogs?

nope there for us humans who walk them :D just got the "Yaktrax" Pro - of course by the time it arrives the ice will be gone, but if not i will let you know how i get on with them

so that's - waterproof walking boots, waterproof trousers, waterproof high viz jacket, goretex gloves, thermal hat (optional hood from jacket if raining) and now yaktrax - jee's i could do a polar expedition with all my dog walking gear

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Be careful when walking dogs in icy conditions as their pads can get damaged and quite sore from the ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye Paul - I was just wondering, because as said below - some dogs (maybe not all) can get damaged paw pads from walking on ice
    kakee wrote: »
    Be careful when walking dogs in icy conditions as their pads can get damaged and quite sore from the ice.
    Agreed and you have to be careful for the dogs safety/health too. As ice /salted ice can get in between the paw pads.

• Advertisement

so keep an eye on the dogs paws and pads - cool - will do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

On the general subject of walking dogs on ice - we have been walking ours on the grass because I have landed on my ass on the path (and now have a very fetching bruise!). The only danger is the amount of poo in the grass :mad: One of my dogs (a golden oldie) was slipping around the place on Christmas eve and hurt his front leg - when we were trying to lift him up that night he was crying in pain and limping a good bit. It has cleared up and he is now fine (even when we go poking at his leg) but he was very stiff and sore for a few days - be careful out there, the dogs can get damaged too!

I have landed on my ass on the path (and now have a very fetching bruise!).

pictures! only messing :D

the amount of broken glass around at this time also increases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

if your walking a short distance thats icy but not too icy a good tip i got is to put socks on over your shoes!!! more grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Please be careful of walking your dog near ice. A friend of mine lost a new puppy on the ice last year. It was on one of the extending leads and walked out on a frozen piece of lake in castlebar where it fell through the ice. Needless to say she was gutted but couldn't go after him. She still hasn't recovered from the guilt.:(

• Advertisement

lubie76 wrote: »
    Please be careful of walking your dog near ice. A friend of mine lost a new puppy on the ice last year. It was on one of the extending leads and walked out on a frozen piece of lake in castlebar where it fell through the ice. Needless to say she was gutted but couldn't go after him. She still hasn't recovered from the guilt.:(

jesus that's harsh - good idea to point these things out though, not something i would of thought about automatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

lubie76 wrote: »

There are unfortunately a good few tales of people dying trying to save their dogs on frozen lakes at this time of year every year. Usually (although unfortunately not in your friend's case) the dog manages to get themselves out of the situation and it is the person that dies.

ISDW wrote: »
    There are unfortunately a good few tales of people dying trying to save their dogs on frozen lakes at this time of year every year. Usually (although unfortunately not in your friend's case) the dog manages to get themselves out of the situation and it is the person that dies.

just to show it does happen

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/81109.html
    December 22, 2009
    Three brothers who fell through ice in a Shasta County lake trying to rescue their hunting dog and then each other were called heroes Monday night by grieving family members.
    Two of the brothers – Noel Smith, 39, of Burney and Nathan Smith, 32, of Citrus Heights – died Saturday in the freezing waters of Big Lake, near the town of McArthur.
    A third brother, Andrew Smith, 34, suffered hypothermia but survived.
    "They were brothers who loved each other so much," said Lisa Smith, Noel Smith's widow. "In our eyes they were all heroes."
    The brothers had gathered at Noel's home in Burney, about 25 miles southwest of Big Lake, she said.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1187074_drowned_man_was_trying_to_save_dog
    Drowned man was 'trying to save dog'

December 22, 2009
    A MAN found dead in a reservoir could have fallen through the ice as he attempted to rescue his stranded dog.

The pining German Shepherd was found barking beside his parked car nearby and a dog lead was later recovered from the man’s pockets, police said.

Police believe that the dog stood by the car throughout the night.

The man was last seen leaving home for a walk on Sunday afternoon. His body was found at noon yesterday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28486697/
    updated 10:32 p.m. ET Jan. 3, 2009
    PLAINSBORO, N.J. - New Jersey authorities say a woman drowned trying to retrieve her grandson's dog from a frozen pond.
    Authorities say 61-year-old Janet Howard was walking a German Shepherd named Apollo on Saturday when it wandered onto the ice covering Plainsboro Pond. Police speculate that Howard went after the dog but the ice broke, plunging her and the animal into the water about 25 feet from shore.

Advertisement