Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in South Tipp - how're you connected?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I thought this might be a good thread to have. It might help some of us to improve our internet connection.

I'm using a 3 DataModem attached to the computer by USB lead in the New Inn area close to the M8 motorway, about half way between Cahir and Cashel. Connectivity fluctuates from quite good to slow, with a few bouts of no connectivity at all. How do you access the web? What is your location, what provider do you use, how is your connection speed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Furet wrote: »
    I thought this might be a good thread to have. It might help some of us to improve our internet connection.

I'm using a 3 DataModem attached to the computer by USB lead in the New Inn area close to the M8 motorway, about half way between Cahir and Cashel. Connectivity fluctuates from quite good to slow, with a few bouts of no connectivity at all. How do you access the web? What is your location, what provider do you use, how is your connection speed?

I've got the same connection as you Furet. I'm in the centre of Clonmel and there's usually fairly fast speeds, pages open instanly and download/streaming speeds are reasonable enough, not great though.

If you don't mind me asking, what way are you setting up your connetion? I used to go by the 3 DataModem grey rectangle set up but left it and now let the computer automatically set it up, which has proved much, much faster.

I find the modem quite good, handy for college too, to bring it up and down, cheap too, which always helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I'm a mile outside Carrick On Suir and have 3MB broadband with perlico and it's perfect!

***Touches wood***

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Chorus 10mb (Soon to be upgraded to 15mb apparently) Cable broadband in Clonmel

Pretty fast for downloading and surfing..Works great with xbox live too:D

667464048.png

6626976.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I've got the same connection as you Furet. I'm in the centre of Clonmel and there's usually fairly fast speeds, pages open instanly and download/streaming speeds are reasonable enough, not great though.

If you don't mind me asking, what way are you setting up your connetion? I used to go by the 3 DataModem grey rectangle set up but left it and now let the computer automatically set it up, which has proved much, much faster.

Well, my 3 DataModem is quite old, so I have no choice but to plug in the USB lead and use the grey window box. A new one is on the way though, along with the promise of slightly improved connectivity. (When I'm in Cork I have highspeed broadband with Smart).

Ciano's connection sounds super. I've never heard about Perlico. Must check it out. 3 are getting a lot better though, must say that. Speed and reliability have improved a lot in the past year.

I've a friend who has a 15mb chorus line, his download speeds are incredible!

• Advertisement

3mb Vodafone here in Mullinahone. it can just lose connection all of a shot and at times it dont reach its full 3mb. 2.5 on average

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

been with Chorus NTL since they came to town - most of the time a great connection, feew months ago i changed over my phone and TV to them too - saved a bundle of cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

In village called Kilcash,10 miles from clonmel. Can only get proper braodband with Premier Broadband,gang of shysters with ridiculous fees and very patchy service. Got Meteor mobile while ago but won't achieve broadband speed really. O2 mobile and 3 won't work either. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I've a friend who has a 15mb chorus line, his download speeds are incredible!

Would you know the name of the company and where your friend is located? I have a vodafone modem but cuts out every now and again.

KittyKat wrote: »
    Would you know the name of the company and where your friend is located? I have a vodafone modem but cuts out every now and again.

Chorus NTL/UPC, I'm not sure what they're called. He's living a few minutes walk outside Clonmel. I think he might have upgraded from that meg line but still with same company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

Can anyone in or around Carrick (particularly Carrick Beg) recommend a plug-in modem? Renting so a phone-line or cable modem isn't an option at the moment.

Just looking for enough connectivity to play poker, maybe stream the odd match, no big downloads.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

I use 3mb Vodafone in Mullinahone. Works great...now if only my blasted laptop would stop playing around :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Acropat12

Lads, I live on the Cahir side of Clonmel. Couldn't get broadband from anyone and I mean anyone!. Young lad called to the door one day from Clearwire and asked if he could check my connection. I gave it a good test and I have to say it's bang on - good connection and download speeds. Not cheap at 30 euro per month, but like I say, there wan't anything else in my area.:eek:

Acropat12 wrote: »
    Lads, I live on the Cahir side of Clonmel. Couldn't get broadband from anyone and I mean anyone!. Young lad called to the door one day from Clearwire and asked if he could check my connection. I gave it a good test and I have to say it's bang on - good connection and download speeds. Not cheap at 30 euro per month, but like I say, there wan't anything else in my area.:eek:

What megabyte speed is it?

Advertisement