Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to upgrading?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Just installed Win 7 Ultimate on a fairly old PC (P4 3 ghz) and am thinking of going with a new processor/motherboard and memory/graphics to bring things up to scratch...

having never upgraded before my question is will I need a fresh install of Windows or will my HD remain intact???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Better to do a reinstall, it would probably get very messy if you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Oh right, would I have to format the drive before I do anything? have two 500gig HD's with Win7 and one with XP so plenty to fall back on should I mess up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You can format when your re-installing Windows 7, makes no sense to do it beforehand when it can be done as part of the OS install.

Fair nuff....will need to do some reading up on the whole process before I jump in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

If you are new to this why not experiment a little? I take it you will be keeping the original disk to install in your upgraded machine so why not spin it all up? Then you will probably need the chipset drivers for the new board. You could put in the cd which comes with the board and see what happens.

It is a learning experience and not really bothersome. If the thing doesn't work out you simply re install.

I would consider getting a new HDD as the prices are pretty reasonable these days. If you do that you will have to re install anyway. My point is that by expereminting you will see for yopurself how things work.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Make sure you back up all your data to another drive and also install all the necessary drivers for your new hardware once the OS is installed. Have you bought and installed the new hardware yet? Upgrading old Dells can be tricky as I dont think OEM motherboards and hard drives will fit in their cases. I could be wrong about that though.

Cheers for the advice, in the past I've changed or installed just about everything there is inside a PC but motherboards/processors and bios systems are new territories..I'll have a think about my next plan of action :D

Advertisement