Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Czech republic decriminalizes drugs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OK so heres where the problem seems to lie withthis sort of thing

this is from Dictionary. com

its the accepted 'English Language' definition of the word, its pretty straightforward and is the definition most of us think of
    Decriminalise == Make Legal

this one is in 'Legalese'
    spot the difference

so in english it means
    its not illegal

in Legalese it means, depends on the level of representation you can afford
    Legalization would seem to me to mean the substance can be carried in any quantities, transported commercially, etc. etc.

Whereas decriminalizing small amounts protects light users from prosecution. SLUSK is right in saying it will make addicts feel safer and more open though. And it may lead to drug sources quicker. I just dont agree at the amount of police brutality or prison rape suggested ;) I'm sure it will be the mandate of clinics and authorities to try and get recovering addicts to turn in their suppliers but I doubt they will coerce them forcibly to do so. Especially considering the difference between turning in your pot-friend and turning in your heroine supplier: one loses you a buddy the other one will get you shot.

Instead of trying to hide a coke addiction from family members say, it will slip from the tongue easier, enter normal conversation. People will be more forthcoming for help or assistance, etc.

But I definitely doubt it will result in home searches of light users for any reason without due cause. It would be understandable if you were a suspect dealer, always seen on street corners with a couple of grams that cant be done in for, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

This is bullcrap, i watch the czech news everyday and read the czech newspapers online but never once was decriminilization of drugs mentioned. plus i also read and watch slovakian television and newspapers and they love to point out something outrageous and weird that the czech government does(and vice versa) and they did not mention anything about it either

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

aurelius79 wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point though. This only pertains to the possession of small quantities of drugs. Distribution and sales are still illegal. Possession of quantities over the set limit is still illegal.

How am I missing the point, that's exactly what I said? It is now legal (according the the article) to possess quantities of drugs below the said limits.
    aurelius79 wrote: »
    This legislation mainly deals with small cannabis and mushroom growers. It was passed to reduce the workload on law enforcement agencies and the courts and to reduce prison populations. The sale of even small amounts of cannabis is still illegal. There was no point in decriminalizing other drugs because the only means of obtaining them is through illegal transactions.

Where are you getting this from? I asked earlier whether this was the reason or not; there could be other reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭CFlower

There has been a propoganda push for drug law liberalisation over the last year. I looked into it and found that it was being heavily promoted by Soros Foundation-funded websites and by intel assets like Mischa Glenny. Then I looked for information/research on how things are going in Portugal and found that the research - even the so-called "UN research" is similarly funded.

The CIA and British intelligence are complicit/involved in massive amounts of drug running out of Afghanistan and Columbia - Tom Carew and General Gul of the ISI, Sibel Edmonds and many others confirm this.

Massive world recession on, so getting us all stoned instead of angry seems like a good plan, I suppose.

Advertisement