Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest building in December?

• 30-12-2009 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I just arrived home to find a pair of small black and white birds frantically building a nest in my front porch. They've been there all morning clearly because they've left plenty of little gifts all over the ground and on the front door.

I'm reluctant to evict them because I cant see much in terms of a structure yet, but what kind of bird builds a nest in a busy porch in December?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

The crappy weather is probably making the birds take shelter where they normall might not. They could be building a roost. I've got wrens in my porch and they've modified 2 swallows nests there. I try not to disturb them in the evening and use the back door....

Please don't evict.

Black and white could be wagtails. Had they long tails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

E39MSport wrote: »
    The crappy weather is probably making the birds take shelter where they normall might not. They could be building a roost. I've got wrens in my porch and they've modified 2 swallows nests there. I try not to disturb them in the evening and use the back door....

Please don't evict.

Black and white could be wagtails. Had they long tails?

I wont evict them at all.. I'm honoured that they chose my doorstep as their toilet :D

I didnt get a chance to have a good look because they fly away as soon as anyone comes near. Come to think of it.. Wagtails would fit the bill I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Overwintering swallows? Please post a pic! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

No sign of them tonight, just a tiny bit of mush stuck to the wall. No new 'offerings' on the ground. I last saw them when I arrived back to the house at 2ish today and they flew away. I hope they didnt get scared off for good.

Advertisement