Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCP Down: Lockups using Netgear router and Vodafone Home...

• 30-12-2009 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I am now at the end of a long process of discovering why my NETGEAR DG834N router would freeze despite green lights on the front and only switching on and off would restore internet access:

1. Changed microfilters for all phone type devices eg sky+, DECT phone.
    2. Connected my main Mac to the router using Netgear Powerline rather than wireless.
    3. As all my remaining wireless devices are 802.11g (eg Dell laptop, iPod Touch) I changed the router to only broadcast in g standard.
    4. Pre registered all devices with the router for fixed IP addresses, wireless and connected.
    5. Used Mixed WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK encryption to ensure all devices can use the required standard.

I finally got access to the error log when a lockup occurred and discovered an 'LCP Down' message.

A quick Google puts the supplier of the fixed line in the frame. Rebooting the router clears the errors that have built up due to a poor line and it looks like I'm stuck unless Eircom come round and improve the lines from our town exchange.

Is it worth me getting onto Vodafone?

At least I didn't change the router again, as this was one of the reasons I got rid of a D-Link one in the past.

Is anyone else having these problems? (I am in County Kilkenny and this maybe less of an issue in Dublin)

Thanks in advance.

(MODS: Could this be moved to the Broadband Forum please?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 pauljordan

Did you ever get around this problem? I have the same problem with the same modem/router. My ISP is Vodafone. I never had this problem with BT !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Am also having this problem.

Seems to be an incompatibility between Vodafone and Netgear. Pretty major fsck-up by Vodafone considering all the Netgear stuff out there.

Advertisement